Ford and GM merging ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford got billions from the feds via Ford Motor credit to help save the auto maker, or should I say truck maker.

Wow...that would totally freak me out.
I guess GM would want Ford mostly for the F series pickups?
Seems smarter to let them die otherwise.

Truthfully, I think that article was potentially one of the largest crocks I've read this year.

Based upon no information whatsoever besides a bored journalist's imagination.

I think that article was written by someone who was once told what a car might have look liked through a kaleidoscope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hackett is a disgrace...why he is still at the helm of Ford is mind boggling to say the least..it's almost like the Ford family expect the company to
collapse and possibly don't care at this point.

I think there will be a merger but everything but the trucks will be discontinued by GM and perhaps GM will keep some Ford dealers as truck and commercial stores only. The Ford name will be kept for the F-150, Ranger, and new Bronco.

I think the author is confusing market capitalization with sales.

Just because Ford has lost 42% in market cap doesn't mean they are circling the drain.

For was probably stronger then GM at the beginning of the period and GM was probably undervalued at that same initial point of the comparison.

Global sales figures in millions for Ford since 2012 are:

2012 - 5.67
2013 - 6.33
2014 - 6.32
2015 - 6.64
2016 - 6.65
2017 - 6.60
2018 - 5.98

So 2018 saw a 10% drop in sales. Add in some other economic headwinds and one can see why they had layoffs.

I think the market may be over reacting a bit with respect to the drop in market cap.

If I were buying stock in a single US auto maker, I'd look at Ford as a potential value play. But I've not done much research yet, so this is an un-researched gut feeling at the moment.

I doubt it. Be hard to get past US federal approval, let alone other nations.

No way.........a Ford GM merger would kill NASCAR!
smirk2.gif

For those of you who think Ford didn't get any Federal money-you really need to do some research......

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Wow...that would totally freak me out.
I guess GM would want Ford mostly for the F series pickups?
Seems smarter to let them die otherwise.

That's all they sell in any large numbers.....isn't it?

Originally Posted by CKN
For those of you who think Ford didn't get any Federal money-you really need to do some research......

Yes, I don't know why the mass media has played that down ever since it happened, very strange to say the least.

Seems like it couldn't possibly pass antitrust laws. The article touts the supposed strength of GM in the autonomous car field. I really wonder how important the market will be for autonomous cars? Is there really a big enough market to overcome all the regulatory and insurance hurdles?

good ole pushrod V engines of larger displacement get same milage in the real world as boosted OHC engines with lower costs and lower complexity Ususally lower complexity means better reliability, but the jury is still out on the newest cylinder deactivation. system,

Ford is going to need a merger eventually to stay alive. I could envision a Ford/Honda marriage. Honda picks up the trucks and jettisons the rest including all the engineers and redundant layers of managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back