Ford A/C quick connects

Im helping a friend with a 98 Expedition, changing out a locked up compressor and accumulator. The compressor appears to have locked up due to lack of oil. There was zero oil in the compressor. Not even a film, and the shaft just seized on one of the bearings while the truck was sitting unused for 5 years...
Im about to blow a gasket right now and go ape @#$% cause I cant the the accumulator to lock onto the evaporator connection on the fire wall. It just flat refuses to go over it, and Im leaving impressions of the spring in the soft aluminium because it just isnt expanding the way its supposed to around the flared end of the evaporator so that it can lock. Ive tried using the disconnect tool in reverse, and Ive tried making shims out of .005 feeler gauge. I cant get anything to stay in it to keep the spring expanded long enough for me to get it on the fitting. This situation is made more difficult because its so difficult to get to between the [censored] huge 5.4L and the firewall.
Ive used these fittings a few times, both on Ford fuel lines and A/C lines, and they always just work fairly easily. Which makes it all the more frustrating that I cant get this one to work right.
Any ideas?

My Jaguar X-Type has the same fittings and I struggled forever to get one particular pair together. I am sorry but I don't recall what I did to make it work.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Did you roll an oring? I have had to use a pipe and hammer to get them on under that windshield.

No, but I figured it out. Its a junk aftermarket part. I made a drawing to compare.
[Linked Image]

I can push and shove and hammer and theres no way for it to pop over the fitting as it was designed because the spring ends up sitting too low. I was just squishing the spring between the fitting and the back of the cup.
I have ordered a Motorcraft part and I suspect I will have no issues; itll just go right on.
So hopefully this helps someone else if they end up in the same predicament.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Name and shame the manufacturer of the junk part.

Its a Carquest branded part, so more than likely a rebrand of someone like GPD or Four Seasons or whatever...

Reading your initial post, my first thought was..."aftermarket part."

The more work I do, the more gunshy I become of aftermarket parts. I run into stuff like this all the time. Stupid little stuff that reminds you why it's 25% of the cost of the equivalent OE part.

But, like clockwork, I continue to opt for the cheaper option at checkout - and curse myself at install time. Maybe one day I'll take my own advice.

I'm sorry you had this experience, Colton. It's no fun.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
Reading your initial post, my first thought was..."aftermarket part."

The more work I do, the more gunshy I become of aftermarket parts. I run into stuff like this all the time. Stupid little stuff that reminds you why it's 25% of the cost of the equivalent OE part.

But, like clockwork, I continue to opt for the cheaper option at checkout - and curse myself at install time. Maybe one day I'll take my own advice.

I'm sorry you had this experience, Colton. It's no fun.

Yes. Ive well had my fill of stuff like this. I didnt order the part, I was asked to help him with it and he already had the parts. Hes probably about a year into these parts, so theres no way to return the accumulator. So he lost all that he paid for it in addition to paying out the $70 for the motorcraft part.

Waiting for it to come in. Ill flip my lid if thats the case and it doesnt work. I guess itll get a reused accumulator in that case. Put new orings on the old one and install it.

Back