Ford 6R100 Pan w/drain plug

My 2018 F250 didn't come a drain pan plug
So I ordered a new pan with one ðŸ‘

7017A297-7D3B-44D5-93D5-31742BDCD3B6.jpeg

Looks pretty nice, I've had good luck with the Dorman pans. I thought the Torqshift came with a drain plug? Or is it the diesel only?

Literally the only Dorman product I'm a fan of. Just tighten up the drain bolt BEFORE you install it and put fluid in... learned the hard way they aren't always snugged from the factory...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Ford stop putting drain plugs in 2018 ...©

Well that's a shame, I'm glad there are still aftermarket options.

My neighbors F350 "different trans" came with a drain plug and my wifes F350 didn't have a drain plug. A Dorman pan is on my list .

What is the refill capacity on the pan drop service? I'm going to go this route also but I need to know how much fluid to buy. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bcb_95
What is the refill capacity on the pan drop service? I'm going to go this route also but I need to know how much fluid to buy. Thanks!

Think it's around 7 or 8 quarts. I prefer dropping the pan, because you get a lot of extra metal out of there from the magnet, wiping it off the interior of the pan, and replacing the filter.

I'd personally see if I could find a bolt with an allen head on it (stainless, preferably) since it will be exposed to road debris, salt, etc. Don't want to round off the head and have a hard time removing it. What size bolt/thread is it?

You can purchase the old style pan through ford. I purchased 3 for for some of our fleet trucks.

Deboss garage on youtube did a short video on a cummins dorman oil pan. The paint on the inside peeled and plugged the oil pickup. Personally, if I were to buy one I would remove any paint on the inside.

Probably a good idea
I've got a buddy with a sand blaster that could handle that for me

Above dnewton3 said of the B&G drain plug kit: "I've installed a lot of these over the years. Never one drip of leak when installed properly. Works great."

That is great. I'm glad they work.

ME: Nylon washers freak me out. How do you know what torque to use as reviewers say it comes with NO INSTRUCTIONS?

I do realize it's not a high pressure application and that this installation bears some similarities to an oil drain plug job (no musclemen need apply)

Many said they used copper washers -plural, one on each side not just the one they give you WITHOUT SAYING WHICH SIDE IT GOES ON.
Do I have to option to use fiber washers and Permatex Ultra Black sealer?

Seriously, I'd love to adapt a drain plug to my trannie pan.

I'd hate to be a jerk wasting $11 for a half-baked retail item when a $34 pan from Dorman is waiting to be shipped to my door.

Then again, Ford says my transmission (5R55E) requires 30K filter servicing so maybe a drain hole is something I don't need?

If seriously bad fluid drains, I will reconsider a drain hole so I can drain between filter changes. I do not want to play with cleaners etc. but I have to leave an open mind.

I have used the B&M plugs for years … and yes I use a copper washer on both sides. (not the nylon washer).
No leaks and you can torque it down hard enough where it holds static when wrenching out the NPT plug later. No RTV needed.
The aftermarket pan will actually drain a bit more out though - the B&M sits proud and probably leaves a half quart.

Back