Ford 600 tractor motor oil

What is the go to motor oil for the Ford 600 tractor? I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for 15w40, but the manual calls for something entirely different:

SAE 30 above 90*f
SAE 20 90* to 32*
20w 32* to 10*
10w 10* to -10*
5w below -5*

The tractor in question has an unknown amount of hours and previous life, but runs excellent after a tune-up. My intentions are to use it fairly often from spring to fall and a couple times a month in the winter; mostly for snow removal.

Also, any objections to using a Ford FLA1?

Thanks in advance.

That engine was made before multi-viscosity oils were widely available, and thus the huge range of viscosities specified.

This is where a 10w-30 (HDEO or PCMO) would probably make sense, as it would protect the engine at worst case hot temperatures, but still flow well enough at freezing temperatures.

I run an FL1a on my 600 tractor. The previous owner(my grandfather) used Pennzoil 10w30 exclusively for about 20 years. I have tried Valvoline Maxlife 1 time since I’ve had it but have used the Pennzoil every other time in the 12 years I’ve owned it.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I run an FL1a on my 600 tractor. The previous owner(my grandfather) used Pennzoil 10w30 exclusively for about 20 years. I have tried Valvoline Maxlife 1 time since I’ve had it but have used the Pennzoil every other time in the 12 years I’ve owned it.

Is there a reason why you didnt stick with Maxlife?

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
That engine was made before multi-viscosity oils were widely available, and thus the huge range of viscosities specified.

This is where a 10w-30 (HDEO or PCMO) would probably make sense, as it would protect the engine at worst case hot temperatures, but still flow well enough at freezing temperatures.

A 10w30 would be nice since everything else I have uses it.

Originally Posted By: etc.
Originally Posted By: cb_13

Is there a reason why you didnt stick with Maxlife?

No not really. Both performed just fine.

Originally Posted By: etc.
A 10w30 would be nice since everything else I have uses it.

That there is a mighty fine argument for 10w-30, instead of needing a separate stash just for the tractor.

Filter should be fine. No real multi-grade oils in the mid 1950's. Straight SAE 30 HD would have been normal down to the 30's (temp). Once it starts to cool off, SAE 20 would have been the norm. Lots of exposed surface area to bleed heat, so the sump temps would always remain low. Viscosity should be on the high'ish side no matter what oil you pick because of the cooling potential.

So I would be looking at the lowest temp you expect to have to start this machine? If always above freezing, I'd go with a 15W-XX or a 10W-XX. I'd prolly try to get Chevron Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) and leave it in for at least 100 operating hours.

But I realize this is a costly oil now days. Prices seem to have spiked something bad ...

So any good 10W-30 HDEO would be good. Mystic JT8 is very nice and it's available at Tractor Supply Co. Another choice would be John Deere Plus 50 oil. Both are stout oils and both are extremely well respected for off-road/AG applications
smile.gif

15w-40, 10w-30, or sae30 all diesel rated so zddp.
I am looking fora 9n for chore around my 5 acres and snow plowing.
I plan on running sae30 spring thru fall and 10w-30 in the winter..

harvey

Back