ford 6.2l news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I heard it had been discontinued in the F-150 (which was logical) but hadn't heard anything about it happening in the Super Duty lineup and I see nothing on the web about it when I do a search
21.gif

There are several sites saying it's out of the F150 sine the middle of last year, but not mention about the F250, per the question above, FWIW.
Kevin
PS - didn't see the prior message before I posted...

Last edited:
Over on the F150 forums it has been said for a while that Ford discontinued the 6.2L in the F150 middle of last year. Apparently it wasn't a real good seller as the EB has the same power as it (maybe a tad more torque, I forget) and slightly better fuel economy.

I doubt it's going to be discontinued in the F250/350. But I'd not be surprised if the Ecoboost makes an appearance there, possibly detuned like the vans.

I can't see them going to a boosted V6 in big trucks, for starters they are CAFE exempt.

Last edited:
it was a guy I know at the mechanics parts counter not the reg. parts counter he was giving me an update what's going on in ford. ford will not make anymore 6.2's we were talking about the new raptor it will have a 6 banger in it eco boost. the 5.4 was a lot better engine!!! I know him really well he knows what he is saying.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
it was a guy I know at the mechanics parts counter not the reg. parts counter he was giving me an update what's going on in ford. ford will not make anymore 6.2's we were talking about the new raptor it will have a 6 banger in it eco boost. the 5.4 was a lot better engine!!! I know him really well he knows what he is saying.

Yes, it was replaced in the Raptor sometime last year.

We've heard nothing about it not being put in the Super Duty though, and there is nothing on-line about it.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I can't see them going to a boosted V6 in big trucks, for starters they are CAFE exempt.

They wouldn't do it for the MPG, just for the flatter torque curve.

i feel that ford is shooting themselves in the foot!! what v8's are left other then the 5.0L we americans love our muscle!! ford owners are going to gravitate to chevy and dodge.i just can't see a little engine in the big super duties's

The sales numbers seem to suggest the market feels different than you.

Everything suggests the 6.2 will soldier on as the base engine in the superduties.

Are they still going to offer the 5.4 liter?

Not everyone agreed with me, but I found the 5.4 liter in my SuperDuty (supercab, short bed, 4WD, 4.10 rear end) quite acceptable for power

They aren't getting rid of the 6.2L in the superduty trucks.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Are they still going to offer the 5.4 liter?

Not everyone agreed with me, but I found the 5.4 liter in my SuperDuty (supercab, short bed, 4WD, 4.10 rear end) quite acceptable for power

Do you tow?

called ford motor co. performance group. ford is changing over to newer engines. the 6.2 l will be in the trucks above f250 and he said the 6.2 and 5.4 is in the same family bottom end the same the stroke and head are a bit different. the raptors will have a v6 double turbo yields above 411 hp.also he said the raptor uses 5w20 oil you can definitely use 5w30 red line he said is a high end oil.

called ford motor co. performance group. ford is changing over to newer engines. the 6.2 l will be in the trucks above f250 and he said the 6.2 and 5.4 is in the same family bottom end the same the stroke and head are a bit different. the raptors will have a v6 double turbo yields above 411 hp.also he said the raptor uses 5w20 oil you can definitely use 5w30 red line he said is a high end oil.

That's not correct info. The 5.4L is shorter (length-wise) than the 6.2L, which has 4" bores, whilst the 5.4L does not. It (the 5.4L) is the same, length-wise, as the 4.6L, which is also the same length as the new 5.0L. The 6.2L is a much larger engine than any of them save the 6.8L V10.

More info:
5.4L Ford: 90.2mm bore, 105.8mm stroke, bore spacing 100mm
6.2L Ford: 102mm bore, 95mm stroke, bore spacing 115mm

The 6.2 no longer being used for the Raptor and F150 is correct, but it will still be used with the gas super duties as far as I know.

The 5.4 was a pooch in the Raptor so I am not sure how he came to the conclusion that it was better? 35" tires and 4.10 gearing makes the 411 hp quite essential. In fact, the biggest complaint about the 2009 (5.4) Raptor was its lack of power at 310 hp. 2010, they made the 6.2 an upgrade and 2012 was the first year the 6.2 was the only engine option available.

I am not sure on the numbers yet, but the 3.5 V6 EcoBeast Raptor will put out more power than the 6.2. Quite impressive IMO. Combine that with the controversial aluminum body and it might be pretty quick. The previous raptors have composite hoods and front fenders. Not sure what they plan on doing with the new body though.

Last edited:
I stated the bottom end is the same except the bore, stroke and heads are different in the 6.2. all in the same family. this is what i was told.

Last edited:
I stated the bottom end is the same except the bore, stroke and heads are different in the 6.2. all in the same family. this is what i was told.

But the bottom end can't be the same, the blocks are completely different dimensions
smile.gif
The crankshaft on the 6.2L is longer...etc.

In comparison, all the engines in the Modular family share many of the same parts and dimensions.

i am sorry but i find it hard to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. the questions I asked him he didn't know so he put me on hold got the info. and read to me all the info.as above. what is your source of info.? I called ford performance group svt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back