Ford 5.4 F150 change FF @ 1000 miles to SYN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be a hot topic and I am surprised that by now this question would be solved at least on this forum but I am wondering if I should change out my ff on my new 08 F150 to syn @ 1000 miles?

It doesn't matter - some do, some don't. Engines still last a long time. No proof of which is better...if it were me, I'd leave the FF in for 3k miles; change with another batch of dino/synblend, run that another 3k miles, and then go full syn at 6k vehicle miles (10k kilomters)

Other than the engine will most likley outlast your ownership of the truck with 5,000 mile oil change intervals using any recommended dino oil . Switching to syn oil at 1,000 miles will be fine. What about the differential/s and trans oil?

I have an 07 bought new. I swapped mine at 3k and stayed with MC 5w-20, then went to 5k OCI. After 10k, started Auto-Rx 4 oz. maintenance dose. After two Blackstone reports and mileage at 20k, wear is at a minimum with really no changes from report to report. Until your warranty is gone, i'd stay with 5k OCI's and MC unless your putting on 20k miles or more per year.

Todd, while you certainly CAN change your factory-fill to synth now, as others said ^^^ there's no really good reason to. FWIW, there's no really good reason NOT to, either.
grin2.gif
Just be careful to change the oil at the factory-recommended interval during the warranty period and save ALL receipts. Prolly be a good idea to use the factor-recommended Motorcraft filter, too. After the warranty is up, do whatever you're comfortable with.

Id leave the FF in for 3000 miles, then do 2-3 3000 mile changes with a dino oil; To "clear" out the engine.

Then I would start a OCI of 7500 miles with a quality synthetic oil.

Do whatever you'd like. My brother has an 07', he left factory fill until 5K. Then Mobil 1 for an OCI, and then switched to PP. Only thing that sucked was one of our other brothers had the pickup for a few months and ran the first OCI of PP for 10K miles and it was 1.5qt low(what an ahole). He's now at 24K, and the truck runs really well. Only thing I would have done differently is not leaving the FF for 5K, but I doubt it hurt anything.

Last edited:
Todd,

You'll get a lot of opinions on when to make the first oil change, but I think it's cheap insurance to do the first couple of them early.
My own policy is to change out the FF at 500 miles with a dino oil. Change again at 2000 miles. If the consumption has gone way down at the 5000 mile point, I then switch to a syn, and up the change interval to the factory recommendation. If it's still burning oil at 5000 miles, I keep dino in for another change. I believe changing to a syn too early delays normal break-in wear.

Go GC in the LS1!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back