Ford 5.4 and Honda 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a '98 Accord EX-L with the 3.0 V6 engine. It's oil is spec'd at 5w30, and I have all the maintance records since new, it's had Honda OEM oil since new (which I believe is Exxon Super Flow). I drive this car quite a bit, about 20k miles a year and was thinking GC would do nicely in this car since it's not the higher revving Honda engines (I guess GC isn't very well liked in the high rev Honda engines). This car has about 64k miles on it.

I also have a 2005 F150 with the 5.4L 3V that is spec'd at 5w20. I have been using MC 5w20 in it mainly because it's cheap and that engine consumes 7 quarts of oil for an oil change. Thje truck now has 22k miles on it.

I like to keep the oil I use all the same, so
Question 1: I was wondering if anyone has seen how GC is in the 5.4L 3V (which is basically the same bottom as the old 5.4L).
Or should I just continue with the 5w20 for the Ford. I would like to quite the engine down a little, it seems a tad loud to me... but maybe that's just me.

BTW, the truck does fall under the "severe service" as I use it on my horse farm, but it does see a quite a few normal miles too.

While I'm thinking of it, I wanted to change the tranny fluid in the Honda too.
Question 2: I was thinking of Red Line ATF, any thoughts about that in a Honda AT?

Thanks in advance!

If you're doing normal 3K-5K OCIs why not use the MC 5w-20 in both. If you're looking the extend your OCIs you could try the GC in both vehicles. However, GC is a heavy 30 weight that may make your cars "feel" sluggish. I'm currently running it in an F150 and an RSX and don't believe I'll use it again when I'm finished with these runs. I don't think either engine needs nor especially benefits from this heavy an oil. Also, there are plenty of 20 weight synthetics such as Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum that will work well in both applications.

Make sure the Redline ATF is rated for Hondas. If not don't use it. Many people complain of harsh shifting when using non-Honda fluid. Do a simple drain and fill and if it shifts OK then leave it in and repeat every 15K-30K. If it has a negative effect on the shifting, go get the Z-1 ($5-$6 at the dealer) and do another drain and fill or two to get the non-Honda stuff out. Z-1 is pricey but a safe bet to keep transmission shifting properly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Actually I am looking for extended OCI, at least on the Honda. The truck I don't mind changing oil on because it easy to get under lol But the Honda I'm going for 10k oil changes on. I've heard that most people don't like GC in their Honda because it hurt the top end, but the V6 isn't exactly a high revving motor, hence the reason I was thinking GC. I also have Red Line oil very close to my house, but that's getting costly for me.

How is your F150 running with GC, it feels sluggish too?

Consider Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 for the Honda. Or, Castrol Syntec 5w20 if you want to use the same oil for both.

Those modular Ford engines don't need high viscosity oil, they doesn't typically benefit in either performance or wear. For ease a good 0/5w20 would work well in both engines. Most 5w30 dino’s shear to a high 20wt and a good syn 20wt will stay in-grade for almost any reasonable OCI. PP seems like really good oil for the money, and M1 is a pretty safe bet and a thinner oil will rev faster. Really any full synthetic xW20 will serve both applications well, IMO.

Thanks!

I'm not to concerned about revving or power delivery, both cars/trucks have more than enough power to do what I need them to do. Maybe I'll go with PP 5w20, any more thoughts? Thanks!

The Honda's seem to do well on the Amsoil XL 5W20, and it's under $5 a quart if you are a preferred customer.

I would agree with the other comments made too, just thought I would throw in my $.02.

cheers.gif

Dude, I got the same vehicle set up. Two Accords, 02 and 06 and a 01 F150 5.4 supercrew. And I'll tell you this to save you lot's of cash and you can send me a retainer if you want or donate it to BITOG!! HA HA......................
I played around with various oils and had UOA's on them all and got various readings. So I tried M1 EP 5W-30 and got some great readings and running times. I take both Accords out to 13K on 5W-30 and the truck out to 10K, or once a year because it doesn't get driven as much as it should. Accords get PureOne filters and the truck gets Motorcraft. This combination has served all vehicles well. So well in fact that I don't even both checking the oil anymore. This way, you only have one oil to buy.

Jrfish...Yes the GC makes my 4.6 F150 feel sluggish. It runs very smooth but doesn't feel like it wants to rev. Felt more spry with M1 5w-30 and MC 5w-20. *** knows these 4.6s aren't the ballsiest motors around, it needs all the help it can get moving my Supercrew down the road.

quote:

Originally posted by Jrfish007:
I think it tends to be on the thinner side, which is probably better for the high revving engines... Anybody else concur?

The SL version of M1 was on the thin side, but the SM is thicker, in the 11 cSt range (11.3 IIRC). I'd probably do M1 5w-30 EP in the Accord with a good filter, and stick with a good 5w-20 and MC filters in the F150. The modular engines do very well on Xw-20 and will last a long time if taken care of. If noise in the truck is an issue, maybe try Pennzoil 5w-20, from what I hear it's a VERY good oil. My $.02

Pennzoil Platinum is always one I forget about lol Thanks for reminding of that oil!

As for Castrol Syntec, not GC, I personally think there is better oil for $5.50 a quart, I would probably go Mobile 1 before I went to US syntec. Most people really like M1 in their Hondas, I think it tends to be on the thinner side, which is probably better for the high revving engines... Anybody else concur?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I got some GC for the Accord this time (it was on sale for $3.50 a quart) so I picked just enough for the Accord. I have some LC20 laying around too, and from what I understand that thins oil out. After that though, maybe I'll go with M1 5w30 or PP 5w20 aftwards for everything.

quote:

Originally posted by Jrfish007:
I also have a 2005 F150 with the 5.4L 3V that is spec'd at 5w20. I have been using MC 5w20 in it mainly because it's cheap and that engine consumes 7 quarts of oil for an oil change. Thje truck now has 22k miles on it.

Ok... you're saying that it REQUIRES 7 quarts of oil at an oil change... not consuming it right? You about scared the H... out of me when I read that.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back