Ford 302 Bypass Filter idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all I am a newbie so I am tired of changing the oil filter on my Mother's Mercury Mountaineer with a 5.0/302. I am going to use the summit oil relocation kit (see link) I was thinking of running a T on the top of the in in and out of the remote kit with a 1/2" (or whatever it is) to 1/8" bushings to act as supply and return for the bypass. The bypass itself would be a Baldwin OB1305 with a B50 filter. What do you think?

Links:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...15&autoview=sku
http://www.adiesel.com/store/OB1305.html
http://www.springerpop.net/F350/lube_bypass.html

Ok very well. I am more of a diesel guy and I did not know if a gasser needed one. Ok thanks!

Don't mind SteveS, he's here to balance out those who want to do stuff. He's the guy with the halo or pitchfork on either shoulder depending on which way you're looking at it. You'll only find enablers here otherwise.

welcome2.gif
grin2.gif
LOL.gif

Okay ..hmm.. where to start here.

Are you saying that you (essentially) want to run the bypass filter in parallel to the full flow?

Fine ..but you'll have very little differential across the full flow, so the flow through the bypass will be limited. It will still work.

Q: why the remote mount?

Reason I ask is that you can probably spend less money by getting a Permacool sandwich adapter and just plumbing the bypass filter to it.

When you do that, there's no need for a bypass filter with a built in restrictor. You can even use the Ford mount if you want to use a combination full flow/bypass

Part Number: 51641
UPC Number: 765809516410
Principal Application: Nissan UD Trucks
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 6.601
Outer Diameter Top: 4.276
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Burst Pressure-PSI: 345
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 12

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

You can also use a hydraulic mount (cheap) for this filter

Part Number: 51091
UPC Number: 765809510913
Principal Application: Chevrolet, GMC, Isuzu Trks 4-Cyl 2.2L Diesel Eng (84-87)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow/By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 5.225
Outer Diameter Top: 4.300
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 12-16 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 6

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.052 2.470 0.173
Packed 0.716 0.498 0.109

The gasket is a bit bigger, but would probably work.

Two reasons to use bypass filtation on any engine:

1) you intend to greatly extend the OCI, (taking into account the cost/benefit ROI of added initial expesnes, higher capaicty costs, greater maintnenance time, etc) thereby making good fiscal sense.

Or,

2) you want it, even though you have no need for it.

Regardless, Gary's plan is sound.

And welcome to the planet of Oil Insanity, as this is a little world unknown to most others that dwell around us!

Last edited:
I would buy the Amsoil kit it is real nice setup and has a way better bypass filter than the B50. Although I still wouldn't do a bypass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back