Ford 3.7 thrown rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently our leased Transit 250 vans have had an issue with throwing rods (not mine), it's happened to 2 engines, both under 50K miles. Has anyone heard of any problems with these? The one in my '18 has always sounded like it has loose rod bearings since day one, I've been tempted to slip in a little of my LM MOS2 when the dealer puts in their weak sauce 5W20 (MC?).

Spun or destroyed rod bearings and the resulting rod failure is nearly always related to insufficient lubrication. There are a significant number of engines that can benefit from a more robust oil and more frequent oil changes. Interestingly, it's not related to just one manufacturer. I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to use a 0W-Water oil for extended use, in the modern engines that have a tendency to dilute oil with fuel, soot and other contaminates.

People tend to concentrate on piston and cylinder wear, and completely ignore the fact that thin, contaminated oil affects timing chains, camshafts and sometimes rod bearings.

From Hyundai to GM to Ford, Dodge, BMW and yes even Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back