Ford 3.0 recommedation

Status
Not open for further replies.
98,000 miles 2001 ranger. Leaking oil pan gasket that is getting worse, and will eventually have to be fixed. Only ever had 5w20. Had all of its oil changes at the dealer for first 60,000 miles, then I started changing it. I have used full synthetic twice and synthetic blend the rest of the time. I am looking for a good oil to go in it without spending to much. It always seems to turn oil dark faster than most cars. I don't mind frequent oil changes as long as the oil doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Switch to Super 5000 5W30 once you get the gasket fixed, but until then use Supertech 5W30 as it is cheap, and since it is running out pretty decently out of the gasket, it will not break the bank to top off. I have the same engine and it runs better on 5W30.

Had one of those.

Any decent 5w-30 did fine in ours.

If it is designed for a 20, use that if you like.

neither its the 3.0 vulcan

in which 5w20 was either spec'ed or backspec'ed

the only exceptions for the ranger was the

2.5 4cyl and the 4.0.. neither of which were ever backspec'ed to 5w20

I'm sure you dont have to pull the engine to put on a pan gasket..but you will have to jack it up after disconnecting motor mounts.. and maybe some other stuff for clearance.
(esp on 4wd) you dont mention 2wd or 4x4

Last edited:
Use any good 5W30 on sale. I have been using QSGB or Castrol GTX on my 2003 Supercab 3.0 w/77K for the four yearly OC's since I have had it. Next change will be Mobil or Peak dino 5w30 since I have several from the O'Reilly's $4.99 special.

This is an Edge Ranger. It is a 2wd but has a 4wd torsion bar suspension. This is the only model of Ranger and one of the few cars that you can drop the oil pan without any engine unbolting/ removing. All that has to come off is the starter. And its not bad enough yet to need any topping off, but there is a rare drop on the ground.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Switch to Super 5000 5W30 once you get the gasket fixed, but until then use Supertech 5W30 as it is cheap, and since it is running out pretty decently out of the gasket, it will not break the bank to top off. I have the same engine and it runs better on 5W30.

at my walmart, the mobil super 5000 is only $1 more per 5 quart jug than supertech. might as well us the mobil super for 20 cents more a quart.

Last edited:
I assume he meant the Vulcan when he asked if was the ford Lima, as the Vulcan was built @ the Lima Ford Engine Plant here in Lima, Ohio.
(Lima, like the bean, not the city in Peru.)
Last Vulcan rolled off the line in '08, Ranger was the last vehicle that used it.

you really can't go wrong with the motorcraft oil & Filter IMO

-Lima Engine now build the Duratec 3.5l btw,(that is seems ford is putting in everything) and might be doing the EcoBoost 3.7l (same block, bigger bore)

Last edited:
Maxlife might help with your minor leak.
Might not.
It's good stuff either way.
You could go to AAP and get some Maxlife Nexgen 5W-30 for near FAR.
I've had an exceptional UOA with Nextgen Maxlife 10W-40 in my old e36, so I'd recommend it without hesitation.
We owned a '97 Aerostar with this engine and it was not at all picky about oil, although I used mostly synthetics in it, like a spendthrift fool.
In the 176K we drove it, consumption was pretty much nil and there were no leaks serious enough to ever leave any evidence on the ground.
Good engine, without much in the way of either peak power or torque.
I'd gladly buy another vehicle with this engine.

Codyb: Just shop sales, see what you can get on a filter/oil combo. For filters purolator or motorcraft are the two i reccomend, napa proline (pepboys) or driveworks (autozone) are decent seconds, if you are ok with the fiber end caps of an E-Core filter STP is fine, if you are ok with the cardboard endcaps of a Fram, then use fram

Peak oil is decent stuff, as well as Supertech. Just use xW30

Last edited:
If the leak is getting worse, I'd try something like Maxlife.

I have 128,000 miles on my 3.0 with a little oil around the gasket, but no drips. It has been like this for 50,000+ miles so I continue using Mobil 1 5W20 at varying intervals. Pretty much all 3.0s, even those with the updated gaskets, tend to seep a little, so I wouldn't worry too much yet. Just keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

I LOVE IT! At one of the F-150 forums I had to cover the proper pronunciation of "Rouge"
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
I have a Taurus with a Vulcan.

Be careful removing the oil pan.
The oil pick up and tube that connects it to the pump are made of pot metal and will break off if you don't remove them with the pan.

A tutorial out on the Ford Taurus forums existed a couple years back when I was looking into fixing the timing chain cover on mine.

Let me see if I can find it.

Found it!
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1631315-post5.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AITG
Originally Posted By: earlyre

I LOVE IT! At one of the F-150 forums I had to cover the proper pronunciation of "Rouge"
shocked2.gif

I wish i could take credit for that, but alas, i modified it from a poster in the background of an early episode of Glee(set in a completely fictional version of Lima, OH)
..though the city's official mascot is a 7 ft tall Lima Bean. Named Beanie.
postcard.jpg

now just so i don't sound like an idiot, is "Rouge" a shade of red, or some one like Han Solo?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back