Ford 289

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say flat tappets do you mean solid lifters?....I have an old Waukesha 180 GKB with I'm told, "flat Tappets"....I do not know if that means solid lifters.....Thanks Charlie

Back in the day I bought a new 1965 Galaxy with the 289. Used straight Havoline 30. Sold it when had 90000 on it and still ran like a top.

Originally Posted By: charlie505
When you say flat tappets do you mean solid lifters?....I have an old Waukesha 180 GKB with I'm told, "flat Tappets"....I do not know if that means solid lifters.....Thanks Charlie

It means it doesn't have roller lifters. They are hydraulic or solid flats. Likely hydraulic in this case.

Originally Posted By: charlie505
Thanks Charlie.....I my day only Hot roders user roller lifters...

They became factory in the 80's
wink.gif
Both my 302's came with them stock.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
wink.gif

Really? I'm supposed to be a Ford guy, yet I learn something new everyday. Back when I was driving 302s, no one was worried about ZDDP anyhow, so I never paid much attention as to what was roller and what was not.

Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

Really? I'm supposed to be a Ford guy, yet I learn something new everyday. Back when I was driving 302s, no one was worried about ZDDP anyhow, so I never paid much attention as to what was roller and what was not.

grin.gif

wink.gif

grin.gif

The '85 302/5.0 were the first, but only in the 5-speed Stangs, the automatics with CFI and all other car lines still used flat tappets(often in the blocks that were modified for the roller tappets) ... With the switch to SEFI for '86, roller lifters were used in all passenger car 5.0 engines, the trucks followed a few years later...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
wink.gif

grin.gif

The '85 302/5.0 were the first, but only in the 5-speed Stangs, the automatics with CFI and all other car lines still used flat tappets... In with the switch to SEFI for '86, roller lifters were used in all passenger car 5.0 engines, the trucks followed a few years later...

IIRC, the CV, GM and TC got roller lifters the same year. However, SEFI was rolled out en-mass in 1986 IIRC, which coincided with the full change-over to roller.

Comically, in '85, the 5spd had a 4-barrel and roller lifters. The Automatic got CFI. That still baffles me.

The exception was the trucks, which got bank-fire injection and remained flat tappet for a few years. The 351W trucks remained flat tappet longer than the 302 trucks did. IIRC, the changeover date for the 302 was 91 or 92. Though it may have been as early as '89. My memory is spotty on that.

Welp I've never seen any '85 302 with a roller cam other than the 5-speed Stang... It's easy to tell just by checking the pushrod length, the roller tappet uses a shorter length of 6.27" vs 6.90" for the flat tappet engines...

Welp I've never seen any '85 302 with a roller cam other than the 5-speed Stang... It's easy to tell just by checking the pushrod length, the roller tappet uses a shorter length of 6.27" vs 6.90" for the flat tappet engines...

I saw an LTD with one and I recall seeing some Town Cars with them too.

It may have been Ford just being Ford however, as I remember many of the cars got the nylon timing sets, whilst others got the double roller that was spec'd for the HO. My Town Car had the double roller HO set in it.

I saw an LTD with one and I recall seeing some Town Cars with them too.

It may have been Ford just being Ford however, as I remember many of the cars got the nylon timing sets, whilst others got the double roller that was spec'd for the HO. My Town Car had the double roller HO set in it.

There were some 85's with it, but haven't seen any 84 or older with it. Just the nylon junk.

As noted in my signature, I have begun using Rislone ZDDP additive. I substitute it in place of one quart of oil.
Just my opinion, I would not hesitate to run 10w30 or 5w40 with the additive in your application. My 360 runs quiet and performs well.

So, if I still had my 1990 Town Car, I'd have no worries, even if I did have 500 lb valve springs!

That's right!! I still use stock lifters from 1987
grin.gif

So, if I still had my 1990 Town Car, I'd have no worries, even if I did have 500 lb valve springs!
No but banana shaped push rods don't perform very well(we're assuming they are still stock)...

No but banana shaped push rods don't perform very well(we're assuming they are still stock)...

Yeah, need the good 'ol one-piece hardened ones with those, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back