Ford 2017-2020 3.5 Ecoboost recall

They won't do the update unless you have the cold start rattle. If it doesn't fix the rattle, then the second part of the recall is to replace the cam phasers under an automatic extended coverage for this issue.

heard this online don't know for sure.

They won't do the update unless you have the cold start rattle. If it doesn't fix the rattle, then the second part of the recall is to replace the cam phasers under an automatic extended coverage for this issue.

heard this online don't know for sure.
My understanding is all of them get the update no matter what. But if you currently have the rattle and the update don’t fix it then they will replace the cam phasers on a prorated basis.
My 2019 F150 is going in tomorrow morning for the reprogramming and I don’t have the rattle.

I've been putting off getting the headlight recall done, I guess it's time to make an appointment at the dealer.

I've been putting off getting the headlight recall done, I guess it's time to make an appointment at the dealer.
Whats the headlight recall? They are lousy. I installed projectors in mine, but aftermarket reliability isn't as great. I‘d gladly take advantage of new factory halogen housings if they were any good.

Whats the headlight recall? They are lousy. I installed projectors in mine, but aftermarket reliability isn't as great. I‘d gladly take advantage of new factory halogen housings if they were any good.
The recall is for the LED headlights (which I believe was only Lariat and up). When you manually turn on the low beams it keeps the daytime running lights on which they say is too bright for oncoming traffic. It's not a huge deal as I usually keep the headlights on auto. I can't really speak to the performance halogen lights, but the LEDs are pretty good.

The recall is for the LED headlights (which I believe was only Lariat and up). When you manually turn on the low beams it keeps the daytime running lights on which they say is too bright for oncoming traffic. It's not a huge deal as I usually keep the headlights on auto. I can't really speak to the performance halogen lights, but the LEDs are pretty good.

Hm that might explain why I feel like I'm constantly blinded by every oncoming newer F150.

Got my 2019 F150 reprogrammed this morning and as expected they didn’t have a lot information on the update other than to tell me it adjusts the timing

I got a message on FordPass about this 21B10 recall to reprogram the power module to fix cam phaser rattle. Does anyone know what this “reprogramming” actually does? Does it increase oil pressure parameters or what?
There is no oil pressure at start up 0psi the noise is until it builds a little pressure . What could A reprogram do, I am not sure, but set the OCI so its reprogramed to come on a lot sooner. I own a 2019 Ford raptor yea the 450 h.p. 10 speed auto, with over 35 years retired now Of being most of the time a ASE Master truck tech and it meant a little more back than and have never seen a gas engine that is so hard on oil not blackstoned just my OP I would be very interested to know too. I dont have the phaser rattle YET. And the raptor has 5200 miles I would state how many times I have changed the oil and filter in it but most of the people on Bobs could not handle it Right now Amsoil 5w 30 XL. If it ever does rattle I will be the one making the re pair just to see what going on warranty or not, not some flat rate monkey.

Last edited:
I've got a 2019 Limited with the same 450 hp 3.5 Ecoboost engine as the raptor. Have 22000 plus miles on mine. No start up rattle yet. Oil changed at 4 to 5K intervals. Was using Mobil 1 5w-50. Now using Chevron 5w-40 mixed fleet oil which is API SN Plus rated. Also have not received any recall notice other than the driving light recall, where the intensity of the driving lights is reduced.

Back