Ford 2.7 eco boost engine owners: what oil filter are you using?

lol. you can always tell who the arm chair engineers are. tell that to the all the people who had trouble with their trucks because they had the wrong oil filter in their 6 liters.
Exactly what troubles? Got data and links to show how the filter actually effected the oil pressure? You know exactly where the oil pressure sensor is located on that engine? Which oil filters caused the problems? ... if they were the "wrong" one, then maybe there's more to the story than what I said about using many different filter brands that were specified for my engine and none of them changed the oil pressure vs RPM curve while the oil was at the same temperature.

The tests I did showed zero oil pressure differences. And if you knew how a normal oiling system works, you would know that if the oil pump isn't in relief then the oil flow is the same going to the engine regardless of the filter.

Maybe the oil pumps are junk in those engines - too much slip and/or a faulty pressure relief valve.

Last edited:
Exactly what troubles? Got data and links to show how the filter actually effected the oil pressure? You know exactly where the oil pressure sensor is located on that engine? Which oil filters caused the problems? ... if they were the "wrong" one, then maybe there's more to the story than what I said about using many different filter brands that were specified for my engine and none of them changed the oil pressure vs RPM curve while the oil was at the same temperature.

The tests I did showed zero oil pressure differences. And if you knew how a normal oiling system works, you would know that if the oil pump isn't in relief then the oil flow is the same going to the engine regardless of the filter.

Maybe the oil pumps are junk in those engines - too much slip and/or a faulty pressure relief valve.
I think that he’s referring to aftermarket oil filters causing problems in 6.0 Ford Power Stroke Diesels. Ford Tech Makuloco did a video about the problem.

For the 2.7 Ecoboost, the oil Motorcraft oil filters were the FL 2062. They are now the FL 2062 A. The FL 2062 had plastic end caps. Many of the aftermarket filters still have plastic end caps. The FL 2062 A doesn’t have end caps. They are essentially the standard Mann+Hummel cartridge design. The WIX/Napa Gold are identical to the FL 2062 A. I don’t think it makes any difference on which style that is used.

Last edited:
I think that he’s referring to aftermarket oil filters causing problems in 6.0 Ford Power Stroke Diesels. Ford Tech Makuloco did a video about the problem.

For the 2.7 Ecoboost, the oil Motorcraft oil filters were the FL 2062. They are now the FL 2062 A. The FL 2062 had plastic end caps. Many of the aftermarket filters still have plastic end caps. The FL 2062 A doesn’t have end caps. They are essentially the standard Mann+Hummel cartridge design. The WIX/Napa Gold are identical to the FL 2062 A. I don’t think it makes any difference on which style that is used.

If that's what he was refering to, then it has absolutely nothing to do with what I said above that if the oil pump is not in pressure releif, the flow resistance of the oil filter will not change the oil pressure readiing on a sensor located after the oil filter. That video is talking about an oil filter failure, and how it effected the engine.

My brothers f150 has the 2.7 and he started with motorcrafts then used a couple k&n filter that were on clearance and then switched back to motorcrafts.

Mc filters have become difficult to find in my area so some time ago i bought a few in the different sizes we normally use until more can be found

My brothers f150 has the 2.7 and he started with motorcrafts then used a couple k&n filter that were on clearance and then switched back to motorcrafts.

Mc filters have become difficult to find in my area so some time ago i bought a few in the different sizes we normally use until more can be found
Have you tried finding Auto Extra WL 10050?

We have few cases of Motorcraft ones at work as well as Auto Extra

I’m currently using a fram tough guard on mine. I’ve used their extra guard many times though and it’s held up really well. I would use the ultra but it’s not readily available it seems. I have no faith in motorcraft products so I refuse to use them.

Specifically the 2.7 filter is identical.
What's the Motorcraft filter model number in that case? They have the same markings, dated code format, etc on the end cap (cartridge)?

Last edited:
What's the Motorcraft filter model number in that case? They have the same markings, dated code format, etc on the end cap (cartridge)?
I assume he’s talking about the Motorcraft FL2062A. That’s my 2.7 filter

Have you tried finding Auto Extra WL 10050?

We have few cases of Motorcraft ones at work as well as Auto Extra

I have about 4 on hand and think he has a couple, won't worry about it until the time comes.

could always go with the fram TG or XG, I see walmart is now stocking those...well there's a spot for them :D

some area walmarts have more supertech filters in stock like then the local one, not to mention supertech air filters where as my local one only has fram air filters.

I'm taking a short trip tomorrow to look at some trailers but I like to hit up the area stores to check for deals etc. I'll hit up a walmart etc and see what their filter situation is

I honestly don’t think it matters which oil filter that you use in the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost. The filter is a cartridge style.

I have used two other filters than motorcraft in the 7 years I've had my 2.7 F150. Early on I found a purolater and used that for 5 thousand mile oil change. After that it's been the FL2062 until the change to FL2062A. I've noticed no problems when I change it. I've had difficulty finding motorcraft filters recently so I have a wix in there now. It looks like the FL2062A.

Back