Ford 2.7 eco boost engine owners: what oil filter are you using?

I’ve been using Motorcraft. I have a Super Tech MP ready to go next.
The Motorcraft is a Mann+Hummel so, the WIX/NAPA Gold is the same filter.

Be careful about using aftermarket filter in a ford product. lots of 6.0 guys had injector issued because the oil filter was not the right size and the oil flow was incorrect. it has the be the exact same size for the bypass to work properly.

Be careful about using aftermarket filter in a ford product. lots of 6.0 guys had injector issued because the oil filter was not the right size and the oil flow was incorrect. it has the be the exact same size for the bypass to work properly.
That wouldn't have a lot of application in the gas motors, they don't use oil pressure for actuating the injectors like they do in some of the diesels.

I’ve been using Motorcraft. I have a Super Tech MP ready to go next.
The Motorcraft is a Mann+Hummel so, the WIX/NAPA Gold is the same filter.
My last couple of filters say made in Brazil on them.

That wouldn't have a lot of application in the gas motors, they don't use oil pressure for actuating the injectors like they do in some of the diesels.
i understand the injection system is different. the point i was making is when the filter is a canister style it is very important to use the correct size filter. in the case of the 2.7 the valve timing is oil pressure dependent. so a filter that is operating incorrectly could effect the valve timing of the engine.

i understand the injection system is different. the point i was making is when the filter is a canister style it is very important to use the correct size filter. in the case of the 2.7 the valve timing is oil pressure dependent. so a filter that is operating incorrectly could effect the valve timing of the engine.

The filters we use look like OEM

The only time the oil pressure at the inlet to the engine's oiling system (after the filter) could be effected by the filter is if the filter is so clogged and restrictive that the oil pump starts to hit pressure relief and shunting some of the flow output back to the pump inlet or back to the sump.

Oil pressure to the oiling system is not effected by a filter going in to bypass either. The oiling system pressure is only effected by the oil flow volume going into it, and of course the viscosity of the oil and the engine RPM. But if the latter two are held constant, then the pressure is only a function of the flow volume.

No need to be careful with aftermarket filter in a Ford. This thread isn't about the 6.0 elements/caps and Ford's foolishness.

There are no different sized 'cartridge' style filters available for the 2.7 egoboost. So, ANY brand that lists a PN for the 2.7 can be used.

If the Belgium made filter is what your work has, then use it.

Was using Motorcraft exclusively. But when the Fram Ultras became available I switched to those. No issues that I’ve seen

The only time the oil pressure at the inlet to the engine's oiling system (after the filter) could be effected by the filter is if the filter is so clogged and restrictive that the oil pump starts to hit pressure relief and shunting some of the flow output back to the pump inlet or back to the sump.

Oil pressure to the oiling system is not effected by a filter going in to bypass either. The oiling system pressure is only effected by the oil flow volume going into it, and of course the viscosity of the oil and the engine RPM. But if the latter two are held constant, then the pressure is only a function of the flow volume.

Interesting. So if I replace a fram xg2 which filters 99% at 20 microns to a theoretical filter that filters 99% at 50 microns, there would be no difference in oil pressure in the system? My oil pressure gauge wouldn't show a difference (while testing the same oil at the same rpms)?

Interesting. So if I replace a fram xg2 which filters 99% at 20 microns to a theoretical filter that filters 99% at 50 microns, there would be no difference in oil pressure in the system? My oil pressure gauge wouldn't show a difference (while testing the same oil at the same rpms)?
Yes, that's true if the oil pressure sensor is located after the oil filter, and the oil pump isn't in pressure relief. Pretty much every engine I've ever studied has the oil pressure sensor after the filter.

I ran 5 or 6 different oil filter brands on my Z06, which had a digital oil temperature and oil pressure gauges, and saw no diffefence in oil pressure at the same oil temp and engine RPM test point between any of the oil filters.

lol. you can always tell who the arm chair engineers are. tell that to the all the people who had trouble with their trucks because they had the wrong oil filter in their 6 liters.

Back