Ford 100,000km Service (06 Freestar, 07 Ranger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Both my parents' 2006 Ford Freestar 4.2 V6 and 2007 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 2WD are close to hitting 100,000km and I will be doing a complete servicing for them. I couldn't find any service manuals for these vehicles as easily as I could with the Japanese vehicles I've owned. For the most part, this should be basic service using the recommended fluids and parts...but I thought I would ask just incase you guys might see any roadblocks or small things that I may have overlooked.

The procedures I will be performing:

1. Oil + Filter change. Pretty straightforward, I already do this every 10,000km for them using Quaker State filters + Motomaster Formula 1 full synthetic. Might switch to shorter 8,000km OCI for better peace of mind, using Purolator filters now that Walmart carries them.

2. Automatic transmission fluid drain. I was just going to do a drain and fill, but it looks like these vehicles might have a filter that I have to drop out and replace. Hopefully the transmission pan is easy to drop. I would use a liquid type gasket to seal up the pan again. Or should I be using the fiber gaskets?

3. Spark plugs. Although I could probably push the change to 150,000km I figure I would just change these mostly to avoid them welding into the aluminum block over time. Should be pretty straightforward I hope?

4. Clean throttle body, MAF, + air filter check. Pretty straightforward unless you guys see anything tricky on the 4.2L and 3.0L engine.

5. Power steering flush. Standard stuff.

6. Brake flush. I normally go with a DOT 4 fluid.

7. Fuel filter change. I hate changing fuel filters. I am guessing the Ranger has it under the chassis frame somewhere. Not sure where the Freestar has its filter, but I was just going to follow the fuel line. Ford seems to use a clamp type connection on its filters, versus the screw on flare type that the Japanese use. I actually prefer this since there's less chance of stripping threads and I always seem to get a leak the first time I tighten the flare type fittings.

8. Differential flush (Ranger only, 2WD). Seems pretty straightforward, but it looks like I have to remove the differential housing, clean the internals, and apply a liquid gasket on the edges before sealing up the differential. I will also check the differential breather. liquid vs fibre gasket? Like with the transmission pan, I think I would like to stick with a liquid gasket since they seem to seal better, but correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Drain and fill coolant. Pretty straightforward.

10. Other miscellaneous things. It appears the driveline on the Ranger uses sealed type joints that don't have grease zerks, so I will just leave that alone. I am also unsure if the bearings or axles require additional lubrication. I was just going to inspect these and leave them be if nothing is wrong. I would also be inspecting my front end components (ball joints, tie rod).

So that's my plan. If you guys see anything that I've missed or have any comments in regards to my servicing plan, let me know!

Last edited:
Don't leave the spark plugs. I changed the plugs for the first time on my 2006 Explorer 4.0 last week. 90,000 miles. They took 2 hours to get out. One hour to put back in. If I had known it was going to be so hard I would have taken them out and put some anti-seize at 40,000 miles.
I put new Autolite platinums back it. Runs a lot better.

Thanks. Updated OP. Yes, this is a 2WD Ranger.

Some Ford engines seem to use a weird design where it is easy for carbon and gunk to plug up the surrounding threads, so a longer removal procedure involving spraying down with carb cleaner is required. I looked at the type of plugs the Ranger and Freestar use, and they look like standard plugs...so hopefully it should be pretty easy.

The Ranger does have a trans filter, though I've never bothered replacing it. It's not a very fine filter.

I would suggest doing a complete ATF change on the Ranger rather than just a drain & fill, especially if it has not been done yet. Use Mercon V.

For the differential, I like RTV Ultra Black to seal the cover. Never had any leaks with it. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before popping the cover off.

The Ranger uses Mercon V for the PS fluid, and the coolant is G-05. I would stick to those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back