Force Android to stay on 2.4ghz wifi?

Is this even possible? I found a couple guides on some Android forums on how to do it but my phone doesn't seem to have the same menu options as those.

The router that we got from our ISP (Sparklight) broadcasts the same network on both 2.4 and 5 ghz.

Because of this, my phone (Moto G Stylus) is CONSTANTLY flipping back and forth from the 2.4 and 5 ghz version of our wifi.

It's bad enough that I had to disable wifi calling because when I'm on the phone and my phone would switch from 2.4 to 5 ghz or vise versa the call would drop almost every time.

I've also had a real bad problem with my phone deciding to flip from 2.4 to 5 ghz (or the other way around) while I'm in the middle of loading a page and then it won't load because the network changed.

I do have unlimited data and I would use it, but, I live in a rural-ish area and inside the house I'm usually stuck on 3G or 1X.

The only solution I can think of right now is to just buy a 2nd router, plug it into the already existing router, and broadcast my own SSID just to use my phone on.

I cannot be the only one who has had this issue...

Can you change the SSID associated with each frequency? Most routers I've had allow you to set a different name for each frequency.

I.E. CleverSSID_24 and CleverSSID_5g or similar. That way, you can connect only to the CleverSSID_24 and enjoy the longer range.

I assume your ISP provides a combination modem-router for a monthly rental fee? If so, you could always purchase a compatible modem and a router of your choosing, then return the existing one to your ISP. This will likely save you money in the long run, and give you more flexibility with respect to which band you are using.

Like javacontour said I’ve split my networks up, the 2.4ghz band being “Network” and the 5Ghz band being “Network5” so I can pick and choose which devices connect to which.

It looks like Sparklight will rent you a modem/router unit for $10.50/month or you can bring your own and not pay that fee… an Arris Surfboard SB8200 modem (approved by sparklight) is $144 on Amazon and a decent router like the Asus RT-AX58U is $180.

If the ISP provided router doesn't give you control over Wi-Fi settings, ditch it for a Arris Surfboard and a mid-range TP-Link router. Even if you get a second router, the ISP router may not have the ability to switch to Bridge Mode and might run into double NAT issues.

Turn wireless off
Go to Saved Networks
Select the 5GHz connection
Hit Forget

The band flipping is probably done on the router side. On my Netgear router it's called "Smart Connect" and it decides whether to use the 2.4 or 5GHz band to provide the best connection for your device. Of course its disabled by default I don't want my devices suffering from momentary disconnections when it switches bands.

Last edited:
If you're a bit tech savvy you can check developer settings on your Android phone see if there's an option to disable the 5g wifi radio.

Easy,
You can disable that in your router settings and have the two distinct bands 2.5 and 5 by accessing the router settings.
Just call your internet provider if you cant figure it out or if other suggestions here dont work they way you want them too.

Back