For you 5-20 fans...Syntec 5-20 is out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
on their website. Anyone want to give it a try and post back results? It apparently has the required Ford and Honda specs...

Hmmm, wonder how expensive it will be. If 5w-20s must be 20-40% group III simply to meet Ford specs, and so many are in the sub two dollar range, will Castrol justify $4.00/qt for this stuff?

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
Just a guess, but why would the German market have 5w-20?

Dave

About the time I was hitting the "Add Reply" button, I realized that it was at least a partly silly question. On the other hand, they do now have the 0w-30 grade of "GC", and that had me wondering whether the Europeans might be starting to go in the direction we've been traveling for many years.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
About the time I was hitting the "Add Reply" button, I realized that it was at least a partly silly question. On the other hand, they do now have the 0w-30 grade of "GC", and that had me wondering whether the Europeans might be starting to go in the direction we've been traveling for many years.

Actually, Castrol introduced Formula SLX 0w20 in Europe way back in 1999. I first posted about it in February 2003 in this post. However, it now appears that this Castrol 0w20 is no longer featured on the Castrol of Switzerland web site.
dunno.gif

The GC is an A3 rated 0-30. For all intensive purposes, it may as well be a 0-40 (aka M-1 0-40).

IMO, a 5-20 doesn't seem to make sense from the current European perspective of high-viscosity spectrum synthetics. ie. If one is going to make a high-quality synthetic, why short-change things and make it a small dino-similar spread...when you can have things like 0-30, 0-40, 5-40, 5-50, 10-50, 10-60 etc. depending on engine HP/performance requirements. In other words, any high quality synthetic oil can be made to naturally cover a better spectrum than a 5-20.

I'm not saying they'll never sell a 5-20 (eg. for the disposable car lines), but I doubt a 5-20 will ever be a high HP / high-performance oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
The GC is an A3 rated 0-30. For all intensive purposes...

The phrase you were looking for is "for all intents and purposes." Two plural nouns, not an adjective and a plural noun.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

I'm not saying they'll never sell a 5-20 (eg. for the disposable car lines), but I doubt a 5-20 will ever be a high HP / high-performance oil.

It would be if the makers would engineer dry sump oils systems for all cars and find a way to control the warm-up phase of the engine oil .

Oh yeah , premium basestocks would need used too
wink.gif

But that " dry sumps " ain't gonna happen because they want to sell oil
tongue.gif

If it's as expensive as the rest of the Syntec line they can keep it. I can get lots of Ford Spec. 5w20's for under 2 bucks and if I truly want a syn 20 there is M1.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
If it's as expensive as the rest of the Syntec line they can keep it. I can get lots of Ford Spec. 5w20's for under 2 bucks and if I truly want a syn 20 there is M1.

Is it "American" Group III Syntec, or is it the PAO based "German Castrol"? I'm guessing it's the American version, but that's just a guess. . .

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:

That is also my opinion.

I just changed from the Syntec Blend to the Syntec 5w-20 a couple days ago. The 5w-20 Syntec definately is not "GC" - no distinct smell and more of a golden color than green. I will absolutely be doing a UOA and posting the results when the time comes. The price for the Syntec 5w-20 was the same as the Mobil 1 0w-20 at my local Advance Auto ($4.78). Advance has definately become the place to buy synthetics IMHO. Not necessarily because of price, but because they have the widest selection around (especially for Xw-20 users).

Also, I sent in a virgin sample of the Syntec to Blackstone on Monday (26th). Stay tuned...as soon as I get the results, I'll post them on the VOA section. I'm really not expecting anything that different from the GTX and Syntec Blend virgin samples of Castrol 5w-20 oil that I did a few months ago, but we shall see.

fruit.gif

[ April 27, 2004, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

Yep, I stopped at Advance on the way home last night and saw the new Syntec offerings and they are indeed asking the same price as Mobil1 0w-20 (4.78/qt.). Interesting to see the Syntec Blend 5w-20 is $2.78/qt while the Motorcraft 5w-20 blend is $2.08 (and still $1.77 at Wally World).

For my money, Pennzoil 5w-20 at $1.88/qt or Havoline 5w-20 at $1.44/qt (1.22 right now on sale) will get the nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back