For those using the German Syntec......

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by katsdad:
How's it going so far?

I hope to have the first UOA on it sometime next week. My sister returned home from her vacation, and hopefully she'll have time on Sunday to come over for an oil change. I believe she's put about 4k on the German 0w30 so far.

I put a little over 1200 miles on my 300M this past weekend. Took my 11-year-old nephew up to the Corvette museum and assembly plant in Bowling Green, KY. For the entire 1200 miles, I averaged 27.9 mpg. Interstate speeds were always 70+ mph with the A/C going. Lots of short trips while in Bowling Green.

The oil now has about 2000 miles on it and it still looks amber-green on the dipstick. No consumption at all.

G, what was in there previously? Anything that the Castrol can be cleaning up?

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
G, what was in there previously? Anything that the Castrol can be cleaning up?

Mobil 1 10w30. I posted a UOA of it. I don't think "cleaning up" is going to be an issue.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I put a little over 1200 miles on my 300M this past weekend. Took my 11-year-old nephew up to the Corvette museum and assembly plant in Bowling Green, KY. For the entire 1200 miles, I averaged 27.9 mpg. Interstate speeds were always 70+ mph with the A/C going. Lots of short trips while in Bowling Green.

The oil now has about 2000 miles on it and it still looks amber-green on the dipstick. No consumption at all.

Bowling Green, my idea of pure heaven! I've taken the Vette plant tour twice now, and it's awesome. I must own a C5!

At what mileage do you plan on doing your first UOA on this oil? Will you drain it totally at that time or just sample and continue?

I've only got 500 miles on it so I don't have much to report. I can say the engine is quieter on cold startup than it was with M1 10W-30. With M1 the thing sounded like a diesel until it warmed up. But it's as quiet at startup with the Syntec as it was with the Saab-branded 5W-30 "turbo" oil the dealer uses. BTW, I have a Saab 9-5 with their 3.0L V6 Turbo motor.

No spun bearings. No connecting rods thru the block. So far, so good with Syntec 0W-30. 4500 miles to go and off goes a sample to Blackstone/Terry.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Bowling Green, my idea of pure heaven! I've taken the Vette plant tour twice now, and it's awesome. I must own a C5!

At what mileage do you plan on doing your first UOA on this oil? Will you drain it totally at that time or just sample and continue?

I'm planning to run it 6000 miles and do a change and UOA. While I'll put a few long distance trips on the car this summer, the bulk of the driving will be around town well into the fall and winter months. If the German stuff is still available at that time, I'll probably run it again.

The factory tour is really a blast. At the end of the line where they do the "first start" our tour guide pulled my nephew out of the group and put him in a bright red C5 convertible. He was grinning ear-to-ear as he turned the key and started it up. They then gave him a certificate stating that he'd started that Vette for the first time.

-

i have about 3700 miles on my syntec. i made a trip to vegas and ive picked up my girlfriend from work numerous times. she works 50 miles away and that accounts for 100 miles every time i drive out there and take her home. i used only a 1/4 quart of oil which was probably lost out of the cam seals b/c i see oil there all the time. im really abusing the oil and am hoping to get the worst oil analysis out of everyone here. i hit vtec many times during the day and the car revs at 4500 at 80mph. during my long trip thur the CA desert i was driving at 90mph (5000 rpms) in 100 degree weather for 300 miles. also, my K&N style (AEM)air filter is sitting several inches from the ground and from the right front tire and i removed all the plastic lining under my wheel well so that you can visibly see the air filter from the outside. im sure it has sucked in a lot of dirt. lastly, my motor runs rich.

edit: spell check

[ June 21, 2003, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: oilcanboyd ]

My sister told me yesterday that her and her fiancee plan on moving out to Vancouver in the next six months, so I might not get to do another UOA on her car after this one. She's going to try to come over on Sunday if she isn't busy. If not I told her to drop by one night during the week so I could change her oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Patman - if your sister moves to Vancouver she could drop down here for an oil change!!
offtopic.gif

If (or I should say when) she moves there, she'll totally forget to change her oil. Which is why I'll put in a fresh batch just before she leaves (if she decides to keep this car that is)

About 3500 miles on the oil now. Plan on taking it up to 6k or 9k, depending on the results Patman and other folks post.

The consumption has been cut in half or more. I can't really tell at this point in time, as it has slowed down significantly. So far I am really happy with it. I guess that's why I have 18L of this stuff in my garage... and local Walmarts have none!!
grin.gif

-Paul

if she sells her car in To and decides to buy another in Vancouver, she'll pay a lot more for the same car out there. Make sure she knows that.
On the other hand if hers is a 5spd, then she better be prepared to get frustrated. When I lived out there, I could never get out of 3rd gear in the city. The highways were tightly controlled with photo radar with a limit of 90-100 km/h. Even on the highway, my ex 240sx (gutless car) could not get out of 4th gear properly.
I can imagine the condition of engines in that city where they all toot along in stop and go.

My sister didn't get the chance to come over to get her oil changed today, but I did see her at our parent's house tonight for Sunday dinner, and I noticed she's got just about 5k on the oil now. I told her to stop by after work one night this week, so hopefully she will find the time (especially since this weekend is a long weekend here so she'll be going away for sure)

I'm very anxious to see how this oil stacks up, and if there is a lot of iron in it like the VOA showed. It'll be interesting to see if the viscosity is still in the upper 30wt range too.

I also found out she's going to sell this car if she moves out west, so these oil changes don't even matter at all, they are just strictly for my educational benefit right now. She could throw $1 20w50 oil in there, not change it at all for the rest of the year, and it wouldn't matter.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
if she sells her car in To and decides to buy another in Vancouver, she'll pay a lot more for the same car out there. Make sure she knows that.
On the other hand if hers is a 5spd, then she better be prepared to get frustrated. When I lived out there, I could never get out of 3rd gear in the city. The highways were tightly controlled with photo radar with a limit of 90-100 km/h. Even on the highway, my ex 240sx (gutless car) could not get out of 4th gear properly.
I can imagine the condition of engines in that city where they all toot along in stop and go.

crushedcar.gif

shocked.gif

thats terrible

offtopic.gif
Outside of Vancouver the hwys are not controlled too much tighter than on the USA side....although I did get a Canada photospeeding ticket in the US mail once!!! Work budz said just ****- can the ticket and ignore it......I paid the stupid thing.

As far as getting up to speed I suppose like anywhere it depends on the location of residence...It is funny for such a relatively huge metro area as Vancouver, BC is, that as soon as you cross into the US side it's hicksville and country roads.

[ June 23, 2003, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Patman, if you don't get that sample within 48 hours there is going to be trouble.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

The factory tour is really a blast. At the end of the line where they do the "first start" our tour guide pulled my nephew out of the group and put him in a bright red C5 convertible. He was grinning ear-to-ear as he turned the key and started it up. They then gave him a certificate stating that he'd started that Vette for the first time.
[/QB]

Lucky dog!
cool.gif

Son last week chenged out his 2002 Focus ZTS Zetec dohc with the green oil and a Napa gold filter. Ford calls for 5w-20 (he has been using Synergyn 0w-20). It's summer and hits 100+ where we live, so he decided WTH?

Engine "noise" is less, but butt dyno seems at tad slower? MPG check this coming week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back