For those that work at tire shop

What do you folks that work at a tire shop do with your old lead wheel weights and wheel weights in general? We take ours to scrap place near me. One co worker takes some for making sinkers and muzzleloader balls

I get the impression that lead wheel weights have been discontinued. I used to get them from a tire shop near my workplace, but last time I checked they were using non-lead materials and would not be giving any lead weights away.

I have a guy that comes to the shop and pays 20 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket of used lead weights. That said, lead weights are getting hard to get and I am buying all the new ones I can because I dont like steel and zinc weights

I have a guy that comes to the shop and pays 20 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket of used lead weights. That said, lead weights are getting hard to get and I am buying all the new ones I can because I dont like steel and zinc weights
I hear you. We get ours from a local fastener and supply wholesaler. Never any trouble getting lead wheel weights. Dunno what the other posters are talking about though

We also sold batteries and the battery truck driver would take our old weights (JC). I don't know if the shop was paid or had to pay.

We used 5 gallon buckets with thin wire handles and the rule was to only fill them 1/3 full. You know how that must have went.

The only ones still metal are the PFE weights for steel wheels. All old weights collected are considered hazardous waste and disposed off properly by our claims team.

As for going away, or they now using only the stick on weights, or is there a suitable clip on replacement - like tungsten. The stick on weights likely won't stay on a steel wheel, especially if its at all rusty.

When you have stick on weights....and do a balance...do you normally run it up with the current weights on the wheel to see if the balance is still good or do you remove them and start with no weights?? Just wondering...

As for going away, or they now using only the stick on weights, or is there a suitable clip on replacement - like tungsten. The stick on weights likely won't stay on a steel wheel, especially if its at all rusty.
They'll stay if whoever is balancing does a good job cleaning. But we will always hit clip-on weights to steeled unless we're totally out.

When you have stick on weights....and do a balance...do you normally run it up with the current weights on the wheel to see if the balance is still good or do you remove them and start with no weights?? Just wondering...
Whoever leaves the old weights on is cheating. If you want to do right, get rid of it all and start with 0 weights.

They stay initially. Sometimes balance is good, but not often. Sometimes you just need to remove part of the old weight, sometimes you need to add. And sometimes the balance is totally off and you have to start from scratch

They stay initially. Sometimes balance is good, but not often. Sometimes you just need to remove part of the old weight, sometimes you need to add. And sometimes the balance is totally off and you have to start from scratch

I can see doing this after a patch repair if you remount the tire in the same orientation, but with a new tire? Balance is virtually never the same.

I can see doing this after a patch repair if you remount the tire in the same orientation, but with a new tire? Balance is virtually never the same.

it depends on the quality of the tyres and wheels, some brands just don't need much if any weights. Chances are good you don't need to remove the old weights with those.

A
The only ones still metal are the PFE weights for steel wheels. All old weights collected are considered hazardous waste and disposed off properly by our claims team.
round here we now use a metals place for our old weights. Doesn’t pay much but least we aren’t throwing them in dumpster like some places do

What do you folks that work at a tire shop do with your old lead wheel weights and wheel weights in general? We take ours to scrap place near me. One co worker takes some for making sinkers and muzzleloader balls
When I did, I gave them to my uncle, who loads his own ammunition.

Back