For those that use oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 or L in the Hondas. Although, I've only had to add oil in the Civics occasionally when they get driven on super long trips. From the low mark to the top is 1 quart. Easy to add and I don't have a partial quart lying around.

Strangely, I've noticed some vehicles will use oil to a certain point then will hold the same level for the rest of the OCI.

Weird I fret much more over ATF level than engine oil.

I'm not picky, heck I changed the oil last weekend in the Sonata and I haven't even checked it yet. As in, I didn't even check it after changing it. I poured in 5 quarts and closed the hood. Might check this weekend or the following. I've always done the same with my Camry and Jeep. Camry gets 4 quarts, Jeep gets 6, close the hood and check it later once the oil settles.

But usually top off around 2-3. I check it every couple months.

Depends - customer vehicles, always at the full mark. My own, if they don't use any, full, but if they use/leak some as long as it's at or above add i have peace of mind. If I'm going on a long trip or going to be working it particularly hard I'll top it up.

I keep the level between 2 and 3. I don't want too much oil or too little oil. I check it every 2-3 weeks.

I agree with pbm 3.5. Works good for the Camry especially. The Altima does not really need anything.

I don't like to have bits of unused oil around...that stuff goes into a 5 litre. I only use a full litre bottle to top off, so it's down enough for that, or it's over full.

Maybe once it's half way between the empty and full mark.
I accidentally let it go once below the minimum however, ofcourse i immediately filled it to the full mark and nothing bad happened afterall.

If I pop the hood and can easily see on the stick that an engine is off the full mark, I'd add oil. When I had vehicles that used oil I'd often catch it when it was down about 8 ounces, and top it up. My logic is if I went through the bother to open the hood to check, I'd top it up if it was below full.

1 is fine.
If manufacturers thought that adds in smaller increments were desirable, they'd have the safe range marked accordingly.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
1 is fine.
If manufacturers thought that adds in smaller increments were desirable, they'd have the safe range marked accordingly.

Bingo. That's why it's called the acceptable range.

i guess it depends on total capacity......
10qt capacity here; 1/2 qt to 1 qt low is time to add for me.

if i had 5 qt capacity; then no more than 1/2 qt low would be time to add for me.

At the "Low" mark I add a quart. My Jaguar (made by Ford) holds 6 quarts and absolutely performs better with 5.

My Cessna 177RG's Lycoming engine holds 8 quarts. Lycoming states that it will operate safely down to 4 quarts. Some operators let the oil level go down to 3.5 quarts but they start to see oil pressure fluctuation at that level. I never let it go below 6.5 quarts and always start a flight with 7.5 quarts. The higher level does lead to more oil on the belly, but I don't care.

Interestingly, the engines are certified to operate up to 30 seconds at full power without any oil pressure at all. I suppose that might require high oil levels to ensure adequate splash lubrication.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back