For those that use Amsoil SSO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I notice that some posters go away from SSO during the summer and only use Amsoil's SSO during the winter months? I mean, I get it but I don't.

Hopefully they use it for a year ot up to 35,000 mils or what ever Amsoil claims the up to mileage is. nothing is more of a waste than changing out syn oils at dino oil intervals and thinking something good is happening. [Disclaimer] Except under certain circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Hopefully they use it for a year ot up to 35,000 mils or what ever Amsoil claims the up to mileage is. nothing is more of a waste than changing out syn oils at dino oil intervals and thinking something good is happening. [Disclaimer] Except under certain circumstances.

Well, sure if your engine is compromising the oil's lifespan in some way(mechanical issue etc). I'm using Amsoil for 10-15k mile intervals right now on my 92 Civic VX. I don't anticipate any problems, but will be reporting UOA. I hope I can get that out of this vehicle, but I am at 245k miles.

Last edited:
10,0000 miles is getting you $$$ out of the oil change and I have seen many engines doing the miles and more ocis and lasting at least as long as with dino oils shorter interval changes. I use syn on the vehicles that do higher miles and Dino on the low mile or warranty required oil changes and do not feel either oil is a negative in any way for their intended purposes.

There is someone on here that drains SSO every 3k miles. THAT is a disorder.

I'm using the 0W30 in my Taurus and change in the spring and fall . I put roughly 14-15K on it between those changes usually done in Nov.and April .

I did a Amsoil ATM flush on the Fusion in the late spring and had already had the Taurus done with conventional ATF but plan on flushing it with the Amsoil AP ATF this spring when I do the oil . My driving is mostly highway .

Last edited:
I have used Amsoil SSO 0W30 since it came out. I do annual changes in a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (4.0L SOHC V6) which equates to 20K t0 24K per year. Confirmed several times the oil will last that long with oil analysis. I do change the filter every 6 months. Has worked for me with 166K+ on it. Driving is rural and highway. Very little city driving.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
10,0000 miles is getting you $$$ out of the oil change and I have seen many engines doing the miles and more ocis and lasting at least as long as with dino oils shorter interval changes. I use syn on the vehicles that do higher miles and Dino on the low mile or warranty required oil changes and do not feel either oil is a negative in any way for their intended purposes.

10k is my first goal, then we'll see about longer OCI. Unfortunately anything approaching 15k should probably have a 2nd oil filter or just an entire change all together w/ the new 15k only filters for my car from Amsoil, but I don't know of a better oil filter for long OCI?

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
It is most likely the 0W30 mental disorder?

Meaning: I can't run this weight in the Summer...LOL!

I know it doesn't make sense and it'd have to be 100+ for most of the summer to even begin to worry, but perhaps the OCI is reduced at most.

Originally Posted By: buster
There is someone on here that drains SSO every 3k miles. THAT is a disorder.

I saw the posts of someone doing experiments with oil filters doing that(dropping every 4k), but then turned around and gave the oil to someone that would use it still after "U"OA.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Beverlin
I have used Amsoil SSO 0W30 since it came out. I do annual changes in a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (4.0L SOHC V6) which equates to 20K t0 24K per year. Confirmed several times the oil will last that long with oil analysis. I do change the filter every 6 months. Has worked for me with 166K+ on it. Driving is rural and highway. Very little city driving.

That definitely gives me confidence heading forward, but I really am curious to see if I have any mechanical 'issues' compromising the OCI. This is my first time using Amsoil. I just switched for Mobil1 0w-30.

In my Saturn L300 is use SSO all year. I change the oil at twice the OLM interval, which is usually 11-14k miles or 10 months to a year. I have been doing this for three years, no issues to report. During the OCI the oil level drops maybe 1/4" on the dip stick, so never any make up oil. The car has a cartridge type filter, so cutting one open is easy. There is never anything in the media pleats after a year. I use the P1 filter, but have used Wix ones too. The OEM Mann is constructed the best (but for some reason Amsoil does not carry that filter, and it is crazy expensive at the dealer) and is used when I can get it on sale.

Running SSO for one year is not that expensive, oil and filter cost about $75 with shipping. Most quick lube places charge $60+ for a syn oil change, so Amsoil SSO is really not that out of line price wise. I just wish I lived nearby to a distribution center, if I could get rid of the shipping charges, it would be even more of a no brainer.

This is my first run with SSO 0w-30.

Is there a general feel for this oil on these forums? I'd like to run at least 10k on my 92 Civic. Does the seem feasible or should I go 7.5k and then send in a UOA before continuing?

Currently I'm using the Wix filter because I believe it's the largest filter for this car.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Is there a general feel for this oil on these forums? I'd like to run at least 10k on my 92 Civic. Does the seem feasible or should I go 7.5k and then send in a UOA before continuing?

Currently I'm using the Wix filter because I believe it's the largest filter for this car.

Thoughts?

I have cartridge filters on my Solstice that I try to change every 3k or so, but the last (my first) OCI on SSO I ran almost 12k on my d.i. turbo motor. Still had a TBN of almost 7 at the end too.
Suppose it depends how you drive your vehicle and the driving distances, environments it sees, but I think 10k isn't even tapping into the potential of the oil.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

I have cartridge filters on my Solstice that I try to change every 3k or so, but the last (my first) OCI on SSO I ran almost 12k on my d.i. turbo motor. Still had a TBN of almost 7 at the end too.
Suppose it depends how you drive your vehicle and the driving distances, environments it sees, but I think 10k isn't even tapping into the potential of the oil.

Well, that's what it seems Amsoil is promoting the product for. I got this car with 230k miles and have done ALL of the maintenance that it was due for or behind on. Year + later, and after $2,000 invested on top of the 1k purchase price, I have a 50 MPG car for 3 grand. =D

The first thing I did was run 2 or 3 oil changes with Max Life and I started using Amsoil Engine Flush before I dropped the oil each time. Last year I used Mobil 1 Ow-30 AFE 2 times and before I changed to my current interval, I ran another bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush and of course let it keep draining for a while.

I did have a new V.C.G. installed just after switching to Amsoil and replaced the gaskets/seals for the VTEC-e housing and solenoid. This has minimized all of the VX's oil loss to just the typical loss in the little 4 cylinder Honda's from high revving/blow by etc.

The good thing is, since I lost half a quart in the first 3k for not thinking of catching/re-using what the VTEC housing had inside of it, is that by getting to top off continually every 3k miles, I'm always introducing something to beef up the TBN and throw in some more additives. =P

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Thoughts?

The oil is rated for 35k miles normal, 17.5k miles severe but few want to go that far. That's assuming you drive that much in 1 year.

So yeah the feel is that most of us can't leave it in long enough to get the money's worth out of it due to OCD, fear because we were raised on short OCIs, ect.

Personally, I am comfortable with 10k mile normal service on synthetics. I'm still trying to get in to the 15k mile normal service premium synthetics. The boutique stuff like this SSO that claims 35k miles normal service is still beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back