For Those That Feel A Hyundai OEM Filter Doesn't Do The Job....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recent oil analysis from one of my cars. The other one, from the other car I have is very similar. The point? Both these cars have use nothing but OEM Hyundai filters. Not Fram Ultras, Puros, Wix, or anything else. I have seen some on here post about how bad The OEM filter is, and how it barely filters anything below 50M. Well, According to both reports, (this one posted) that same OEM filter seemingly is doing a pretty good job... These are 5K OCI's and the vehicle has 100K miles on it now.

[Linked Image]

Where are these posts denigrating the hyundai OEM filters?

I quite liked them on my hyundai vehicles.. and a thicker can that doesnt crush like aluminum foil too.

Of course I can get a fram ultra for the same price.. and not goto the dealer..
I wanted a filter and drain washer..

Took 16min to wait on me as he was busy compiling parts lists for people in service.. I understood but my transaction literally took 1 min.

Originally Posted by Rand
Where are these posts denigrating the hyundai OEM filters?
Have to admit I don't pay that much attention to Hyundai discussions as we don't have one but what I have read is that their OEM filters are quite good and on certain engines/models, they perform better than most aftermarket filters.

I still stand firmly behind OEM or WIX being the only good choices for Hyundai. Considering some of the WIX filters (depending on the date of manufacture) are made specifically for Hyundai and are made in South Korea (complete with the plastic over the open end of the filter), how could they not be a great choice?

I just installed one of the South Korean WIX filters for the first time last night, will report back with results.

Most discussions here about oem filters are in regards of their filtering efficiency. Your uoa has no particle count, so you have no data to claim that oem is as good as ultra or any other filter

If it can't filter well enough for 5K miles, then it's not worth anything! 5K miles for an oil filter these days is nothing!

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Most discussions here about oem filters are in regards of their filtering efficiency. Your uoa has no particle count, so you have no data to claim that oem is as good as ultra or any other filter

If his filtering efficiency was poor then I'd expect to see higher levels of insolubles and possibly even the oil falling out of grade since [excess] contaminants promote oxidation and degradation. Both the insolubles and 100c kv are normal/pretty good I'd say for a 5k oci.

TBN would be a good number to see but not having it on this report is not a game changer, since he's only doing 5k oci's and not looking to extend it out as far as I know. If this were my report I don't see anything that would push me to change things up at this time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Your uoa has no particle count, so you have no data to claim that oem is as good as ultra or any other filter
Particle count (high) translate to metal wear, right ? Every one of his values are below the average values that Blackstone recorded.

Originally Posted by GM4LIFE
If it can't filter well enough for 5K miles, then it's not worth anything! 5K miles for an oil filter these days is nothing!

Point being, if it couldn't filter, it would show more wear early in life.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I have seen some on here post about how bad The OEM filter is, and how it barely filters anything below 50M. Well, According to both reports, (this one posted) that same OEM filter seemingly is doing a pretty good job.

So exactly what in that UOA says the oil filter was doing a good job? If it's the "insolubles %" it's not a good indicator of filter performance because if you compare insolubles to an actual particle count they do not correlate at all.

I had bought a stash of OEM filters and once after an oil and filter change had abnormal noise on startup. Changed that filter out to another new OEM filter and noise gone. Didn't cut that filter but have cut open others before and they seem good. Don't know about the particle count on OEM's.
I'm down to a couple dozen OEM filters now, but on top of that I got a good deal and a few dozen XG9688 filters. So have a lot of filters on hand boxed away.
So far the Hyundai (2.4L) has been getting 5k or less OCIs, and no topping off on the duration. Goes down almost about 1/4 of a quart during the run.
About to hit 175k on the clock, still no issues. I might go to 4k OCIs. Have more filters than planned so wonder what goes first, stash of filters or the vehicle.

FYI a while back remember reading of fake Hyundai filters. I don't remember what the signs are to look out for, around then I bought the stash of OEMs (before the price went up), soon after the stash of XG9688 since I got them on sale.

Irishman said:
Can you tell us what the filter part number is? Thank you.

26300 35504

xxxxxx 503, 504, 505 are all the same but from different suppliers,

Look for the "H" Hyundai logo inside on the ADBV.

Fits 95% of all Hyundai, also many KIa, Honda, etc. PH3593 interchange I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I have seen some on here post about how bad The OEM filter is, and how it barely filters anything below 50M. Well, According to both reports, (this one posted) that same OEM filter seemingly is doing a pretty good job.

So exactly what in that UOA says the oil filter was doing a good job? If it's the "insolubles %" it's not a good indicator of filter performance because if you compare insolubles to an actual particle count they do not correlate at all.

Your statement conflicts with Blackstone's own language on it's website regarding it's insolubles test.

BS: "The insolubles level indicates how fast the oil is oxidizing and how effectively the oil filtration system is functioning" ...
Blackstone

The lack of wear metals, the fact that the oil is still in grade and low insolubles is circumstantial evidence of good filtration. (no oil, no matter the quality of it's base stocks or add pk, can cover up for poor oil filtration over a 5k mile oci)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Your statement conflicts with Blackstone's own language on it's website regarding it's insolubles test.

BS: "The insolubles level indicates how fast the oil is oxidizing and how effectively the oil filtration system is functioning" ...
Blackstone

The lack of wear metals, the fact that the oil is still in grade and low insolubles is circumstantial evidence of good filtration. (no oil, no matter the quality of it's base stocks or add pk, can cover up for poor oil filtration over a 5k mile oci)

You think Blackstone has ever correlated "Insoluble %" data to particle count data on the same UOAs to see how they compare? I have from UOAs posted on this site, and I see no real correlation at all between the two.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...lubles-vs-iso-particle-count#Post4859910

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Wear metals are typically way too small for even a high efficiency (99% @ 20u) oil filter to catch much of. However, a 99% @ 20u filter should catch more particles below 10 microns than a 50% @ 20 micron filter will. A full blown 2 micron bypass filtration system would be the best, and oil drain plug and filter magnets can certainly help lower the ferrous wear metal numbers. Oil remaining "in grade" really has nothing to do with the level of filtration. Oil goes out of grade from shearing, vaporization (high Noack) and fuel dilution. And as mentioned above, there seems to be no real correlation between the "Insolubles %" and actual used oil ISO particle count date.

You think Blackstone has ever correlated "Insoluble %" data to particle count data on the same UOAs to see how they compare? I have from UOAs posted on this site, and I see no real correlation at all between the two.

Dunno, that's a great question for Blackstone (or any test facility for that matter). The results of a particle count and insolubles test can only correlate if the test method is the same.

That said, the insolubles value is a composite parameter (includes particles,
contaminants and degradation products that are dissolved or dispersed in the oil) that reflects the degree of oil degradation and oil contamination and significant levels can be a sign of several things occuring including insufficient oil filtration.

Unless I'm missing something (my understanding of "insolubles") if my UOA showed a low insolubles value I wouldn't be worried all that much about particle count or the efficiency of oil filtration system.

I would hope that if Blackstone saw a high insolubles value that they would recommend additional testing for particle count/fuel dilution to get better visibility into that number and determine what's causing it to be so high (fuel contamination, soot, blow by problems, additive issues, oil oxidation etc.) since a high insolubles level is very detrimental to oil integrity (wear, deposit/sludge formation, thickening of the oil etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back