For those of you who stream

Have you noticed a serious lack, if not a total omission of all of the popular Christmas movies? I don't have a lot of streaming apps, but I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I can say that almost none of the popular Christmas movies are available without having to either rent or buy them. There's no reason they can't have some, or all of the Christmas movies available for free to their subscribers. This is unacceptable...

I don't have a lot of streaming apps, but I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I can say that almost none of the popular Christmas movies are available without having to either rent or buy them.
I'm usually hip to the lastest tech, but streaming isn't one of them. Already paying $130 a month to Verizon so not paying another penny for movies when I rarely watch any on TV as it is.

Have you noticed a serious lack, if not a total omission of all of the popular Christmas movies? I don't have a lot of streaming apps, but I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I can say that almost none of the popular Christmas movies are available without having to either rent or buy them. There's no reason they can't have some, or all of the Christmas movies available for free to their subscribers. This is unacceptable...
What holiday movies are you missing?

FWIW, I've noticed that there are fewer free movies with Prime lately ... the last two I watched I had to pay for, only because sweetie wanted to see them and they weren't available elsewhere.

Are you alluding to a conspiracy or something?

Lots of good shows/movies not available at times on streaming services, because the owners of the shows want maximum $$$ that the streaming service doesn't want to cough up.

I'm usually hip to the lastest tech, but streaming isn't one of them. Already paying $130 a month to Verizon so not paying another penny for movies when I rarely watch any on TV as it is.
you are so cheap elsewhere would you like some protips on cutting the verizon bill? or is that home internet + phone

No mistake that shows that were once free and now are now available with a charge. Amazon Prime use to have an ample amount of free programming, now pay away. As long as the content owners are married at the hip with the ISPs, content will become Pricer. Ogalopolies are not a friend of the free market system.

Heck, if the USA would allow Americans to purchase satellite programing from Canada or Mexico you would see a bust in cable rates.... but that is not how the game is played.

TV wouldn't be half bad if they didn't have 4 minutes of commercials every 5 minutes. Wasn't the idea of cable TV 50 years ago that in exchange for paying a monthly fee, your programming would be commercial-free?

Lots of good shows/movies not available at times on streaming services, because the owners of the shows want maximum $$$ that the streaming service doesn't want to cough up.
Here's the correct answer folks. This is a well-known issue with those older Christmas shows or movies. Blame the people that own the rights to the shows/movies, NOT companies like Netflix, Amazon, etc. One example of this is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. The contract that stations or the network has with Walt Disney only allows broadcast by OTA, cable TV, or satellite TV.

Here's the correct answer folks. This is a well-known issue with those older Christmas shows or movies. Blame the people that own the rights to the shows/movies, NOT companies like Netflix, Amazon, etc. One example of this is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. The contract that stations or the network has with Walt Disney only allows broadcast by OTA, cable TV, or satellite TV.

Disney doesn't own the rights to Rudolph. Follow it far enough up the chain and you'll find Comcast, through NBCUniversal, owns the rights.

Curiously, CBS (not NBC) owns the exclusive broadcast rights to it. The CBS license predates NBCUniversal's ownership through their purchase of Dreamworks.

ABC Family, a Walt Disney Company, owns the streaming rights through Freeform.

Crazy how NBC, a legacy broadcaster, owns the IP (through an acquisition) but doesn't have any of the broadcast rights, which are held by two competitors: CBS and ABC.

Many of the "classic" shows, not just the Christmas specials, are tied up in exclusive distribution. As media companies are bought, sold, and merged, it ends up making really weird situations where direct competitors can't use their own IP because of contracts.

A great modern example is the Disney MCU and Sony's rights to Spiderman. Sony held the rights to Spiderman before Disney's purchase of Marvel. That means Disney can't use Spiderman, even though they own the IP. Disney and Sony obviously came to the conclusion that working together instead of fighting one another is the best way to proceed but it was dicey for a while.

I'd suggest searching youtube for christmas movies, there is probably a lot on there.
There are, but none of the popular ones are on there...only movies no one's ever heard of before...

What holiday movies are you missing?

FWIW, I've noticed that there are fewer free movies with Prime lately ... the last two I watched I had to pay for, only because sweetie wanted to see them and they weren't available elsewhere.
All of the popular ones...Elf, A Christmas Story, The Grinch, Christmas Vacation, Christmas with the Kranks...the only popular one I've found that you don't have to pay extra for is It's a Wonderful Life, and that's on Amazon Prime...everything else has to be rented or purchased...

I have "Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol" on DVD. My Favourite. Great music; up there with various top stage productions.
I only have about 12 DVDs, most are music 24bit hifi rock concert videos: Yes, Neil Young, The Moody Blues, Fleetwood Mac ...
Now I just realised I do not have a DVD player except on the computer.

To Grampie's post, I swear I was watching a bit of "Scrooged" free on Youtube last year. I wonder what else may be on there
I just saw Rudolph on TV during, or the day, after Thanksgiving.

Well, I got to agree with Grampi on this one.
I think there is just soooo much content AND channels out there now gone are the days of seeing only classics, whatever service buys the exclusive is where it will be. The only way around this is if you have a favorite buy the DVD. We do have a few.
There are now 100's of movies and shows it seems. I too, at the risk of sounding old miss traditional and also there is way too much choice. *L*

Here is a guide;

Actually it just went to $150 as the 2 year contract expired. Triple play with internet, 2 phone lines and lower tier TV plan.
Oh, ok, so you already are buying content to watch. Im VERY familiar with Spectrum when I lived up north. With streaming you have to pay only for internet which is still a rip off at $75 month. Cant help on the two phone lines but one phone line Ooma all you pay if $5 in tax plus buy the device, works the same as spectrum.
We have an attic antenna for all majors and their side channels, video quality is superior to cable on the majors distributes to 5 of the 6 TVs..
6 Roku players in the house for streaming what must be now, thousands of shows/movies. We subscribe to Hulu $7 a month and Netflix $14 a month. Total phone, TV and Internet = $101 a month actual payment. Right now we are paying much less, we do work the deals, right now Hulu is 99 cents a month until Dec 2022 and we are only paying $49 a month for 200 MBPS (220 actual) internet service until Feb 2022 and will look to switch once Feb comes along.
The problem of for might be sports, sports aren't an interest of ours if the teams are going to make us pay, so we only get interested during major events, Superbowl, Olympics ect... not even really hockey anymore or baseball... wife still works and we are sort of active only watch evenings

Back