For those of you who rent cars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lol Greg we know you too well... You don't want to extend your OCI!
grin.gif

Haha, love it! I've taken the Accord on two long trips, and one semi long trip this year already and racked up some miles. I't not interested in adding on another 1K miles. Besides, you should be proud of me Nick, I am well on my way to 20% on the MM. Not long ago I was changing it at less than 60% (usually around 3000 miles).
You're slowly being converted!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Why do people rent for long trips instead of putting xxxx miles on their car? Personally I really look forward to long trips in my car as they seem to blow out the cobwebs and burn off the nasties! It always seems to run much better after a long trip
smile.gif

This is me. I always like to drive my car. After all I already paid for it. I don't want to pay to borrow a car when I have already paid for the three sitting in my drive. All of mine are capable of a cross country trip so I don't even consider rentals.

If I did rent I would want a large car like a genesis sedan or a crew cab pickup. I love room and comfort on long trips.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Enterprise web site says Standard = VW Jetta or similar.
Next step up is Ford Fusion or similar. I didn't check pricing, but sometimes stepping up to the larger car doesn't cost much.

This is off their web site, where they explain the various car types and provide an example of each.

Our experience with Enterprise varies by the office. Overall, I had good experiences on business, renting at airports, and near my office. My wife had a horrible experience in Baltimore at one of the downtown locations because they didn't really have a car available at the time indicated. She was on a restricted timeline, so their inability to provide a car as promised at the time indicated grated on her.

Yes, I did see that the full size wasn't much more..however I didn't want to get stuck with a full size Impala or something similar with a V6 hogging the gas on our 10 hour trip. I figured something in between the full size and compact would be good. Comfortable but decent on gas mileage.

The mileage of the Impala will be similar to your Accord.

Your rental cost could be your fuel in YOUR car, that you like...

And it's an Accord, not a freakin Ferrari...drive it and enjoy...! 1000 miles... ? Highway miles are EASY miles...

Karma says you'll get a rattly POS that needs an alignment bad, and a wheel balance, and 50 miles in you"ll be miserable...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Why do people rent for long trips instead of putting xxxx miles on their car? Personally I really look forward to long trips in my car as they seem to blow out the cobwebs and burn off the nasties! It always seems to run much better after a long trip
smile.gif

Neither my wife's nor my vehicles had anywhere to securely store a bunch of stuff out of the weather. (My Caddy or her Grand National weren't options due to salted roads.)

I see, wouldn't want to pay for the fuel for that stroked Caddy either!!

It's good for 17-18MPG on a highway trip...but I will not drive it if there is salt on the road!

I can see renting when you don't trust your car to make it across town. Or for cheap thrills. Otherwise I am taking my own. Did not spend all this time and money on my own property to not use it for the purpose I bought it for.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Enterprise web site says Standard = VW Jetta or similar.
Next step up is Ford Fusion or similar. I didn't check pricing, but sometimes stepping up to the larger car doesn't cost much.

This is off their web site, where they explain the various car types and provide an example of each.

Our experience with Enterprise varies by the office. Overall, I had good experiences on business, renting at airports, and near my office. My wife had a horrible experience in Baltimore at one of the downtown locations because they didn't really have a car available at the time indicated. She was on a restricted timeline, so their inability to provide a car as promised at the time indicated grated on her.

Yes, I did see that the full size wasn't much more..however I didn't want to get stuck with a full size Impala or something similar with a V6 hogging the gas on our 10 hour trip. I figured something in between the full size and compact would be good. Comfortable but decent on gas mileage.

The mileage of the Impala will be similar to your Accord.

Well I've done 80 ish MPH in the Accord and have returned 36 MPG. The Impala could probably squeek out 30 but not at 80 MPH. Around town its going to eat gas too, 18 vs 24. I wouldn't mind driving the new model Impala though, if it was the old style though I would pass for sure.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Your rental cost could be your fuel in YOUR car, that you like...

And it's an Accord, not a freakin Ferrari...drive it and enjoy...! 1000 miles... ? Highway miles are EASY miles...

Karma says you'll get a rattly POS that needs an alignment bad, and a wheel balance, and 50 miles in you"ll be miserable...

Lets hope not!

We will be taking a trip to visit some friends next weekend, instead of putting another 1000 miles on my Accord we will be renting a car from Enterprise. I got a decent deal by going into the store to book the car vs booking online. I chose a "standard" size car because I didn't want to be stuck in an Accent, Versa or something similar. The trip will be 10 hours 1 way so I want to be comfortable. Seeing as rental car companies see car classes differently, do any of you who regularly use Enterprise know what kind of car I should expect in the "standard" category? Hoping its a Malibu/Chrysler 200 or something similar.

What a colossal waste of money.

I Rent the Impala when I can for trips. It gets good mileage on the highway and the seats are more comfortable for long periods of driving. The Impalas I have rented usually get close to 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

My cousin got me started on renting for long trips. He rented a mini van for his family vacation a few years ago since it is cheaper than flying a family of 5, and keeps miles off his Tahoe. They were traveling from Minnesota to Texas. The transmission failed somewhere in Nebraska. Avis had him in a new van and back on his way in a few hours. If he was driving his Tahoe, he would have had to pay for the tow and they would have spent the whole vacation waiting for it to be fixed.

I usually rent just for that convenience. It does help that I keep miles off my truck and the fuel savings usually covers the cost of the rental.

Last edited:
smile.gif

Because I have a pickup truck that gets 15mpg at 75mph, and it isn't any fun in tight parking garages.

Plus, I like the experience of driving all sorts of makes and models. Otherwise, I would have never realized how much I like the Hyundai Sonata.

That's why I rent.

Thinking about a farther vacation this year....

In my case, I have just compact cars. While they are fine to drive around here, they tend not to be quite as fun on long trips. It's also nice to have something different to drive as well....

smile.gif

Same here. Makes no sense to rent when you've got a perfectly good car. But hey, he's not asking me to pay for it!

Why rent? Instead of owning a minivan, we've rented for family vacations. All of us drive. So instead of taking two cars for the five of us and having a 20 something drive, we'll rent a van.

I think the last van rental was in 2013. Went to DC from the STL area, so the mileage was similar to the Maxima. Cost was higher at over $700 for 10 days. But still cheaper than airfare for 5 and then renting something large enough for 5 with luggage at the other end.

So instead of owning a van that we might use a few times a month, we rent one for the summer vacation and then each drive our paid-for cars for work, school, church and other local fun.

My youngest is 16, so everyone is going a different direction. Other than Sundays to church or a dinner out, seldom are we all in the same place at the same time. Even then, invariably, someone has to go to work, a class, or some other event. So two or three cars may show up at a location because we are going to or coming from different places.

Every car or truck has a finite lifespan and will eventually break.

A newer rental is a great way to experience a different car and have little responsibility for it. Properly insured your responsibility drops to near zero. We have had rentals which had miles in the teens, like 15 miles. Plastic was just torn off the seats.

We routinely rent when OOT, it is convenient and inexpensive...

Originally Posted By: hpb

Same here. Makes no sense to rent when you've got a perfectly good car. But hey, he's not asking me to pay for it!

Well..I have two vehicles each of which have 140K miles. Both are in immaculate condition and either would be "expected" to drive accross the country with zero problems.....But....anything can fail. Having a car out of warranty break down 1000 miles from home is going to be a money bloodbath.

Being 69 years old..I have seen things go horrribly wrong. Renting a vehicle is renting insurance. I makes perfect sense.

and Java makes a geat point."
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Why rent? Instead of owning a minivan, we've rented for family vacations. All of us drive. So instead of taking two cars for the five of us and having a 20 something drive, we'll rent a van.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We will be taking a trip to visit some friends next weekend, instead of putting another 1000 miles on my Accord we will be renting a car from Enterprise.

What a colossal waste of money.

I have rented several times from Enterprise and got their Friday-Monday $9.99 Weekend Special. Everytime I put over 1000 miles on it. Once, even 1400.

Ask yourself, would you let someone rent your new car for $30, and drive it 1500 miles over 3 days? Everyone would say NO WAY! But thats what I do with Enterprise.

smile.gif

Several reason. A long hot treacherous roadtrip can be very hard on an old car with mileage on it. A rental car is typically new or a couple years old and has better reliability. Better gas mileage. Better A/C. Put hard wear on someone else's car.
Also, every year or two, work sends me out to training. Hotel is in the ghetto. I'd rather have that parked there for 4 or 5 nights than have to worry about mine being there.
Also, the price is can be good if you book online in advance at some place like Budget. It's worth the hundred bux here and there. Cheaper than payments to have a new car when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back