For those of you who rent cars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Last time I saw that special, I recall you were limited to 150 miles/day...after that, it was 15 cents/mile!

I guess I did it one too many times and they changed the policy, LOL.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Why do people rent for long trips instead of putting xxxx miles on their car? Personally I really look forward to long trips in my car as they seem to blow out the cobwebs and burn off the nasties! It always seems to run much better after a long trip
smile.gif

I agree with you completely.
As long as you own something that's been cared for well enough that you have no reason to think it won't make the trip, it makes sense to drive the car you own.
Cars are made to use.
Miles alone won't hurt any decent car and the only way anyone can hope to get huge miles out of any car is to use it as intended.
The more miles you accumulate during the useful life of a vehicle, the lower your cost per mile of use.

I had a recent need for a rental car. Merchandising project required me to visit 100 stores in a four state area, 3/4 of these stores were 90 to 150 miles away. I routed them for the shortest possible mileage and determined I didn't want to put 1900 miles on my Suburban. Renting a Corolla from Hertz (standard size) saved us 80 gallons of fuel. The rental for the week cost $140. Savings totaled about $100 overall and it left a vehicle at home for my wife to use.

Sometimes renting makes sense. Run the numbers and find out for yourself.

The OP is a pretty OCD in terms of their car based on posts. If paying a few hundred helps it worth every penny.

With vehicles emotions never ever make any financial sense in nearly every aspect.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The OP is a pretty OCD in terms of their car based on posts.

Yes, there is no doubt you're correct about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back