For those of you who own/manage a fleet, what filters do you use?

Fleetguard (Cummins) on everything I can. If there is no Fleetguard cross I use OE. One truck I use Donaldson fuel filters due to a specific set up added for an auxiliary fuel tank, Donaldson has 1 filter that does it all where I'd need 2 Fleetguards.

When I managed large fleets for 20 yrs, Fleetguard.

Fleetguard's weakness is poor automotive coverage for new engine vehicle needs. If it's not a popular filter, it takes them a couple years to add it.

Currently have a 640,000 mile Duramax on 20k drains for 600k of those miles. With the exception of 3 services all it's had is Fleetguard.
I can think of another potential weakness: the basic cellulose media efficiency for some of the automotive applications.

The gentleman on the technical assistance line for Cummins Filtration told me that typically, hydraulic lube filters are rated in βₓ the other filters (oil, fuel, etc) are stated at a percentage-based efficiency rating. Below is a picture of the data sheet for the filters I'd gotten and inquired upon. If I'm reading the sheet correctly, coupled with what the gentleman on the phone said, it's not looking good. I'm not trying to be "that guy" but I really wish/hope to be wrong.

2022-11-02 09_30_22-https___mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com_attachment_u_0__ui=2&ik=4ecd...jpg

Dunno what to say, but in literally billions of miles of use, I have never had any engine failure related to filtration. My 09 Duramax, on 2x factory OCI's has a plain old cellulose filter in it, both the oil and filter go 20k miles, and the engine is still happy and healthy at 640,000 miles with good samples. In thousands of Cummins, Cat and Detroit engines over the years never a failure. Seriously, the average Kia or Ford, is it really stressing things that much or will it be owned long enough for any real benefit from 'fancy' filters? They are throw away engines in a lot of stuff, fancy filters won't turn them into million milers......but it makes people feel good I guess.

Dunno what to say, but in literally billions of miles of use, I have never had any engine failure related to filtration.
Engines don't fail from less oil filtration. But they could certainly have less wear and stay more mechanically healthy (better compression, less oil burning, tighter bearings, etc) as miles rack up, all other factors held constant.

Just never been an issue. Track day car ....sure. Grocery getter, fleet vehicle, commercial engine, giant industrial generator, cellulose works just dandy. I mentioned the Dmax had a couple services that weren't Fleetguard, used some fancy filters, UOA showed no difference...none. I get that it feels good to use the premium stuff, I'm jaded I guess because for most of my professional life it was my job to get stuff to the finish line without spending more than needed, and have data to back it up.

Back