For those of who mail order your filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sitting here, trying to decide how many filters to order from filter1.

How many do you folks order at once? Six? Twelve? A two-year supply?

Is there a shelf life on these things?

Thanks.

I've only ordered filters once, but I ordered 4 Purolator PureONE PL14459's from Amazon. I had a 1 month free trial of Amazon Prime at the time, so 2 day shipping was free. It is now expired, so to order again I would need a minimum order of $25 to qualify for free super saver shipping, which would require 3 two-packs of the filters at $9.48 each.

I don't believe there is a shelf life as long as they are stored properly. I usually wrap Saran wrap around the opening to keep moisture etc...out. I also store them indoors in a heated part of the house. I've used oil filters that were stored for >10 years (as well as oil that was the same age) and had an excellent UOA.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
How many do you folks order at once? Six? Twelve? A two-year supply?

Last time I ordered 4 (2 for each car) - that's a two-year supply in my case. :)

Originally Posted By: tropic
I ordered 6 WIX 51356 filters from FleetFilter and haven't used a one of them. Dunno if I can call that saving money or not.

I love it when someone reads the subtext.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Is there a shelf life on these things?

Thanks.

I had a supply of HardDriver filters gotten from eBay. On disassembling one I discovered they had a date on them.

I just recently used up my last one -- Ford 302.

I don't think there was any problem with the age. They were in fact, however, shrink wrapped in plastic in the box.

Other filters I have gotten recently in some quantity, I have closed the open end with plastic wrap. Just seems prudent for storage in my garage.

071104HardDriver2.jpg

I order 6 of each to get a price break on Baldwin filters from Associated Diesel. That's usually a 2-3 year supply for each vehicle.

I ordered 12 NG 1040's from Fleetfilter and have used 2 already (My '03 Impala and my mom's '04 LeSabre). $ I put in the locked cabinet at the house for when I am changing my oil, and the rest are here at home until I need to replenish them over at my parents' house. Now I just need to start an oil stash here at home let alone both places.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm

I don't believe there is a shelf life as long as they are stored properly. I usually wrap Saran wrap around the opening to keep moisture etc...out. I also store them indoors in a heated part of the house. I've used oil filters that were stored for >10 years (as well as oil that was the same age) and had an excellent UOA.

That is exactly how I store them, they will stay for years and years that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back