For those of us using synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
how long do you plan on keeping the vehicle for?

Or better yet,up to how many miles on it?

I have 160,000 on my 5.0 Mustang, and it runs quicker now than it did with 70,000.

Will be replacing engine, transmission, rear end,brakes, and suspension soon anyway though...(performance reasons)

I drive it everyday like I stole it, but I take care of all the maintenance exactly when it needs it. I've never had it not start, I've never been stranded, its been 10000000% reliable.

I've used way too many different brands of oil... from Valvoline synthetic, to Castrol synthetic, to AMsoil, to Mobil.....
I've currently decided to stay with Mobil1 15w50.

cool.gif
Wife's 99 Grand Am, almost 60k, no plans to trade, M1 every 5k. My 02 Ranger, 33k, has a year left on the lease
shocked.gif
and gets M1 every 5k too 'cause I'm a car nut.
grin.gif
More for the alledged mpg benefits.

[ February 27, 2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

I usually keep vehicles 100-150,000 miles. I use synthetic in my gas engines at intervals from 6000 to 10000 miles. I do long trip lengths in warm to hot climate and base my change interval on cleanliness inside valve cover, and oil pan capacity vs. fuel consumed. I used to let my 99 Corolla go 10K on synthetic based on 4 quart oil pan and 36 MPG fuel economy. The engine was spotless inside at 120 K miles.I plan on going about 8K on my current Camry based on 4 quart pan and 30-32 MPG. I will monitor conditions inside valve cover to ensure my schedule is adequate.

We have four . The 1992 40k miles , 2002 24k miles and 2004 500 miles . Expect 300k each due to design and maintenance care but run synthetic anyway .
smile.gif

The 4th , a 1974 model gets 15/40 Phillips Racing Blend .

All will be kept in the Family . The Wifes 02 will be my beater soon if she gets her way .
smile.gif

None burn any oil . When these motors start burning synlube it's time for a rethink on what goes in them IMO .

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L, auto trans, 66K miles, and I'll be keeping it for a long, long time. At 60K miles, I changed all the fluids and filters and put synthetic back in where it counts, such as the differential. Runs perfectly and has never used any oil. Only problems have been a VSS sensor failure and DPFE sensor failure.

And I know it will last a long time because I let Terry keep an eye on it for me
grin.gif
wink.gif

Hey CETME ! I've got a 'stang too. Have you had the notorious idle problems? Mine shoots up to 1200 somtimes when it is warmed up. How long have you used M1 15w50? You hang out at stangnet?

email me if you want
burnout.gif

Gonna keep my truck as long as possible,got 11,500 miles(only way she goes if it turns out to be a slapardo) 03 Z-71 5.3

Wife's car 03 impala will stay til it won't go no mo....

Royal Purple in both....
gr_eek2.gif

My truck has 57k miles on it. I plan on keeping it until the day I die and then I should be buried in it.

My crown vic has 136k miles on it. I plan on keeping it forever too. Would make a good family car and someday I hope to have enough money to make it go faster.

My 1994 Ford Aspire (daily driver because of good MPG) I plan on keeping until it has 202,000 miles on it. Although I plan on putting in a larger engine once I get a job. If I have this car for 100,000 miles in gas alone I will save roughly $4688 compared to my crown vic.

Now it's to the point that I think the aspire needs synthetic. I think it would die on dino oil. The lady before me didn't take good care of it. It used to get 40 mpg on the highway and now I get about 32. Sometimes I have a lifter, rocker arm, or valve that sticks on cold start up. My compression is down to 165 to 170 psi on all 4 cylinders. Luckily it stopped burning oil when I switched to AMSOIL. After 4053 miles my oil had 2.5% fuel. I had really good wear numbers, but I wonder what they would have been if I had used a cheaper oil.

1977 MB 240D with 230K miles
1983 MB 300SD with 180K miles
1996 Civic with 155K miles

I'll keep all three until they drop. Delvac1 in the MB's and M1 5w-30 in the Civic.

1999 Saturn SL, 186,000 miles. I plan on driving it at least to 250,000 miles. If it continues to be as reliable as it has been so far, maybe longer.

I have been using M1 10-30 in my wife's 1998 Montana since 36K. It now has 66K. I change the oil every 6 months. Plan on keeping the van until the paint falls off. (Being a GM product, that could be tomorrow, lol). I have also strictly used pf47 filters.

Hello members

2000 5.2L Dodge Ram Q/C Sport 4x4
48,000 Km's on it currently, purchased @41,000Km
And going to drive it till the wheels fall off! Realistically a previously owned Dakots hit 260,000 Km and was in need of major repairs so I cant see why with good maintenance habits I cant expect 250,000 - 300,000 Kms out of this one
smile.gif

Keep on truckin'
smile.gif

Will keep em till they explode!

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 7200 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 83300 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Hi,

Mistersooty - you are on the right tram! Don't get off despite all the negative hype on here from time to time

Regards
Doug Hillary
02 Subaru Outback 2.5 AWD (Delvac 1)
98 BMW Z3 2.8 (Delvac 1)
89 Porsche 928 S4 (Delvac 1)
And trucks that have covered millions of kms on Delvac 1 too!

Doug hillary
I just put the delvac 1 in my cummins (dodge) I hope it works for me as good as it does you. I asked this in another forum but have you ever heard of or used evans waterless coolant in your diesels?
Thanks steve

I'm currently at just under 99k on my 95 Formula, and would like to get rid of it in 3 years to buy a C5 Corvette, however if I can't get one at that time, I'll keep driving the Firebird until I get one. I drive about 18k per year, so in three years I'll have 153k on it.

So I need this engine to last as long as possible, especially since I drive it very hard.

I treat every engine as if I'm going to own the car for 10-15 years, just in case.

When I do get the C5, it'll be a keeper for a very long time, at least 10-15 years. I'd only sell that one to pick up a C6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back