For those of us a bit long in the tooth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not related to the show you mentioned, but we had a plastic sheet that Dad got at the G C Murphy store. It was transparent blue on the top section, light orange in the middle, and green on the bottom. Changed our black and white TV into "color". 📺
Do you remember those big magnifying screens you could put a few feet in front of the TV to give it a “bigger screen”?

It's easy to guess that most here that relate to the OP are in their 60's and 70's, white, and low to middle class upbringing. It's a wonderful post that brings back lots of similar memories. I just visited my 90 year old mom, so I am ripe to dwell on some nostalgia.

These memories are certainly through rose colored glasses. Racism was still rampant in the 1950's and 1960's. I remember riding on segregated public buses. Mom would take me to a certain clothing store to "Jew down" the price. There's nothing good to remember about the Vietnam war. Hippies and flower children, and geodesic domes, HA! I was influenced by the huge 10 speed bicycle boom in the early 70's. The Mother Earth News magazine and a back-to-the-land craze made a life-long impact on me that I appreciate to this day.

Ahhhhhh, the good ol' days. Most generations have these memories, it's just that they change. But yes, I am thankful to have experienced most of what has been discussed above, even the polio vaccine scar that lingered for years. Carry on sirs and maam's.

Last edited:
Many will have no idea what this means. A privileged few in my age group will understand. It's a little lengthy but worth your time. Not written by me, I don't have the talent.

When I was growing up I never once questioned my parents' income, it was never a discussion. We didn't eat a lot of fast food because it was considered a treat, not a food group. We drank Kool-Aid made from water that came from our kitchen sink with real sugar. We ate bologna sandwiches, or even tuna (which was in a can not a pouch), PB&J & grilled cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, but mostly homemade meals consisting of meat, potatoes, and vegetables.
We grew up during a time when we mowed lawns, pulled weeds, babysat, helped neighbors with chores to be able to earn our own money. We by no means were given everything we wanted.
We went outside a lot to play, ride bikes, run with friends, play hide and seek, or went swimming. We rarely just sat inside. We drank tap water from the water hose outside, bottled water was unheard of. If we had a coke, it was in a glass bottle, and we didn’t break the bottle when finished. We saved it and cashed it back in at the store for a refund.
We watched TV shows like Sky King, Leave It To Beaver, Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, Bewitched, Father Knows Best, Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Disney on Sunday night, McHales Navy, Andy Griffith, and I Love Lucy. Mom and dad decided everything we watched or didn’t watch. After school, we came home and did homework and chores, before going outside or having friends over. We would ride our bikes for hours. We had to tell our parents where we were going, who we were going with, and be home when it got dark.
You LEARNED from your parents instead of disrespecting them, and treating them as if they knew absolutely nothing. What they said was LAW, and you did not question it, and you had better know it!
We watched what we said around our elders because we knew if we DISRESPECTED any grown-up we would get our behinds whipped, it wasn't called abuse, it was called discipline! We held doors, carried groceries, and gave up our seat for an older person without being asked. You didn't hear curse words on the radio in songs or TV, and if you cursed and got caught you had a bar of soap stuck in your mouth.
“Please, Thank you, yes please, no thank you, yes ma'am, no ma'am yes sir, and no sir were part of our daily vocabulary!
The world we live in now is just so full of crooked people, hate and disrespect for others
Re-post if you're thankful for your childhood. I will never forget where I came from and only wish children now days had half the chance at the fun and respect for real life we grew up with! And we were never bored!
The world would be so much better if kids were raised the way my generation was!!!
Well stated. You left out Mickey Mouse club after school with Bobby, Annette et al. Also Sea Hunt made me fear giant squids and sharks. The old Tarzan movies that were old when we were kids. The thing I got in most trouble was not being home at dinner time. Mom had a cowbell she would ring when she wanted us in.

It's easy to guess that most here that relate to the OP are in their 60's and 70's, white, and low to middle class upbringing. It's a wonderful post that brings back lots of similar memories. I just visited my 90 year old mom, so I am ripe to dwell on some nostalgia.

These memories are certainly through rose colored glasses. Racism was still rampant in the 1950's and 1960's. I remember riding on segregated public buses. Mom would take me to a certain clothing store to "Jew down" the price. There's nothing good to remember about the Vietnam war. Hippies and flower children, and geodesic domes, HA! I was influenced by the huge 10 speed bicycle boom in the early 70's. The Mother Earth News magazine and a back-to-the-land craze made a life-long impact on me that I appreciate to this day.

Ahhhhhh, the good ol' days. Most generations have these memories, it's just that they change. But yes, I am thankful to have experienced most of what has been discussed above, even the polio vaccine bump that lingered for years. Carry on sirs and maam's.

The "back in my day" folks leave this part out alot, it doesn't fit their "my generation blah blah blah" rants. Never having to drinking out of a dirty water fountain, color-only schools, having to sit at the back of the bus, or chastised and harassed by the cops because you were a colored person walking back from baseball practice as they dump your equipment on the streets, laughing.

The "back in my day" folks leave this part out alot, it doesn't fit their "my generation blah blah blah" rants. Never having to drinking out of a dirty water fountain, color-only schools, having to sit at the back of the bus, or chastised and harassed by the cops because you were a colored person walking back from baseball practice as they dump your equipment on the streets, laughing.
The Rockwell painting “The Runaway” would be much different had the boy been a different color. Maybe the painting would be of the officer dragging the boy back to “his side of town.”

These memories are certainly through rose colored glasses.
Depends where you grew up. The piece the OP pasted was talking about childhood memories, It describes my childhood memories pretty well.

I was a child in the 60s and while those things were on the TV they weren't real to a kid in a small rural Pa town.

Now in my 60s :oops: I really don't spend time thinking about segregation, Kent State, Kennedy, the Vietnam War.

BETTER DAYS for sure!! even thou there were unhealthy things to eat + drink TODAY its WORSE than EVER with OBESITY + type II Diabetes rampant with no end in sigh because BIG $$$$ likes it that way!

We used to get giant rubber bands from some store I can’t remember. A nice straight stick and a clothespin as the trigger with a tiny nail up front.

During the summer when we wore shorts and t shirts those rubber bands would sting.

Then we graduated to cap guns. I had the revolver type where you opened the side and inserted a whole roll of caps.
I can still remember the smell and the smoke those caps left behind.

Well stated. You left out Mickey Mouse club after school with Bobby, Annette et al. Also Sea Hunt made me fear giant squids and sharks. The old Tarzan movies that were old when we were kids. The thing I got in most trouble was not being home at dinner time. Mom had a cowbell she would ring when she wanted us in.
My job was over, now it was up to the Coast Guard. For years I have referred to Loyd Bridges as the underwater guy for his roll in Sea Hunt. Regards

You've overlooked one of the original cowboy heroes, Hopalong Cassidy, whose history went back to around 1905, and which went off the air in 1952, just about the time Roy Rogers started appearing o the small screen ... there was an overlapping period of several months.

My barber used to slather on Hopalong Cassidy Hair Tonic in my bristle after a fresh boy's haircut in the 50's.

hopalongcassidy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back