For those familiar with Optimum No Rinse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of buying this product. Instead of joining a 'detailing' forum I will ask here. The instructed method of use is to add 1oz to 2gal of water. It would be nicer for me to mix accordingly but to use a spray bottle instead of a bucket. Would this work or would I not be able to get enough product onto the paint to be safe from scratching?
I have a waterless wash spray from another high end car care company, but it is 15 dollars per bottle, and it goes quick. ONR is more cost effective, but I like spraying instead of dipping repeatedly.

It is not suggested to use it in this way. You can spray it as a qd, but not to wash. Honestly, it is super easy to use, even with a bucket. It's a great product and will always have a space on my shelf.

If you're going to do the spray method, I suggest 1oz ONR to 1 gallon of water. Maybe even qd concentration depending on how dirty your vehicle is. Make sure to really saturate the paint especially at the lower half of the vehicle. I've tried what you are trying to do and I get micro-marring at the normal wash concentration.

By the way, my lsp's are usualy zymol vintage, collinite 845IW, and KAIO. I hope this helps.

I'm considering buying this product despite being skeptical of it. I'm worried about the potential for scratching my paint.

I'm sick of the stupid comments about me washing my cars all the time. This product will allow me to wash my vehicles in my gargage so it won't worry the neighbors so much.

I'm strongly considering adding ONR next fall to my arsenal. This past May after compounding, polishing, sealing and waxing both vehicles I have washed them about every 9 days or so. Typically it takes me about 25 minutes if I don't do the tires. I discovered using quick detailers this past September and just fell in love with the ease and time savings (about 10 minutes). If the vehicles are really dirty and then of course a traditional wash is in order. However, probably 80% of my non-winter washes are not dirty enough to warrant a traditional wash.

It works far better if you use it in the bucket. Some do both.....spray it on @ QD strength and use the no rinse/bucket/wet MF towel to "wash". I think that's overkill but it doesn't hurt anything, just a little messy perhaps.

ONR is great. Both as a QD and in the two bucket, no water wash.

I would buy more, but the gallon that I have has lasted soooo long that I don't need to.

Just used this past weekend as a wash.
Love it!

I did it on both our silver Camry & Mazda3 so less obvious of any scratches.

Didn't use a hose @ all.
Not sure how much time I save by not using the hose, but definitely saved on water usage.
I didn't use the 2 bucket & did fear of using dirty water...so I changed the water half way though when it got a little darker.

Basically, I followed the directions & applied with a soaked microfiber towel to each panel.
End up using about 1 MF towel for every 2 panels.
The cars seemed as clean as doing the traditional hose/shampoo/hose method.

Since this was a maintenance fall/winter wash, I deem ONR as doing what it's supposed to do - clean & protect with ease & speed.

Last edited:
ONR is great because you do not need to worry about water oozing out of certain spots.

IMO the potential for marring is far greater since you are not loosening up dirt before wiping each panel. I've been using ONR for most of my washes since I live in an apt without a hose.

However, I think if you wash the car frequently enough it should be OK. You do need to wash the mitt in hot soapy water after each ONR wash in order to "release" the dirt that is bonded to the mitt.

The car definitely is not as clean with ONR as it is with normal soap and water. The shine I get from my car after a wash with a normal shampoo and clean water is much better than with ONR. I suspect that this is because ONR cannot degrease the paint and dissolve any road grime.

I hate grout sponges. To me it feels like you are grinding dirt into the surface because the surface of the grout sponge itself is dry.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I hate grout sponges. To me it feels like you are grinding dirt into the surface because the surface of the grout sponge itself is dry.

You're right, it did feel wierd at first using grout sponge, but it works well for me.

Also, the look on my neighbors faces when they see no suds and a bucket of water when I wash the car is just priceless
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
ONR is great because you do not need to worry about water oozing out of certain spots.

IMO the potential for marring is far greater since you are not loosening up dirt before wiping each panel. I've been using ONR for most of my washes since I live in an apt without a hose.

However, I think if you wash the car frequently enough it should be OK. You do need to wash the mitt in hot soapy water after each ONR wash in order to "release" the dirt that is bonded to the mitt.

The car definitely is not as clean with ONR as it is with normal soap and water. The shine I get from my car after a wash with a normal shampoo and clean water is much better than with ONR. I suspect that this is because ONR cannot degrease the paint and dissolve any road grime.

I meant to write that it didn't feel as clean as a regular shampoo & wash process & that ONR is strictly a maintenance process.

The manufacturer specifically states that ONR has build in additives that loosens up dirt during the ONR wipe down so I'm just trusting they are correct.

However, intuitively - one can't believe that claim. It seems, esp. on really dirty cars there is no way BUT to move dirt back & forth across the paint.

But then, if I don't believe, then why am I potentially marring my expensive car's paint by using this product?!!

Ive been using for 4 years and must say the product is overall fantastic! No swirls and the paint still looks as new.

I (usually) wash weekly and dust daily, so my ride stays pretty clean. Rarely rains here. If your car has noticeable dirt or you skip a week or two, I would advise to go through a DIY high-pressure car wash to get rid of the build up before using.

Also I use 6 long nap sponges per wash and a 3 bucket method (ONR, rinse and rinse). I find the bottom half is always the dirtiest, so I do a single pass across the panel before the double rinse to help ensure no marring. Always do a single pass and inspect the sponge - if its dirty, it gets rinsed before it touches the paint again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back