For the octane sensitive

Little different.
IMG_20210119_151210963.jpg

Someone on here once posted details of the ASTM tests for octane rating and I know it had a tolerance of at least one point. So each of those may actually be the same rating as the ones on each side of it.

Maybe the print is too small for me to see but I am guessing that the 88 is E15 and the 90 is E0 but I would think it would be made more clear near to the selection buttons.

It'd be interesting to see how much of the 88 and 90 octane they sell; I can't see many people consciously choosing either. What was the price spread? (As an aside, some older Gilbarcos from 20ish years ago had a lifetime gallon counter visible to the customer - small mechanical wheels just like an odometer. I noticed this at the Love's in Sioux Falls. They'd pumped something like 2 or 3 million gallons of regular out of that pump in the last 15-20 or so years, and several hundred thousand gallons of premium.)

There used to be more octane choice selection here in the Dallas area about 15 years ago. I read something in the news paper years ago that mentioned how all the different octane choices were no longer needed since most vehicles on the road are no longer carburetored so pinging wasn’t as much of a concern.

I remember back when I first got my 2001 Camaro SS and filling up at a local 7 Eleven. They offered 87,88,89,91,93. IIRC, 93 showed up in the Dallas area in the early 2000’s. I put 91 in that Camaro since that’s what the owners manual said. I thought 93 was for exotic cars lol.

We no longer have 91 here, 93 became the default premium octane around 2002-2004.

With this kind of selection I wonder how often some of those fuels get turned over...??? I would imagine most of us use "regular" (or the cheapest) a small portion use "premium" and an even smaller portion use "mid-grade." I was a fuel jockey (I mean petroleum transfer technician :ROFLMAO: )back in high school at a full serve station and this was all we had. My breakdown above is how I remember it... I can see ethanol muddying the water but to be honest most OPE owners (non BITOG) don't care about OPE gas type and ethanol ratings. I know my neighbor who struggled didn't know until I replaced the carb on his snow blower and let him know what the cause was. As a side note I don't see any E85 on that pump, so 1 more button is needed...

just my $0.02

With this kind of selection I wonder how often some of those fuels get turned over...??? I would imagine most of us use "regular" (or the cheapest) a small portion use "premium" and an even smaller portion use "mid-grade." I was a fuel jockey (I mean petroleum transfer technician :ROFLMAO: )back in high school at a full serve station and this was all we had. My breakdown above is how I remember it... I can see ethanol muddying the water but to be honest most OPE owners (non BITOG) don't care about OPE gas type and ethanol ratings. I know my neighbor who struggled didn't know until I replaced the carb on his snow blower and let him know what the cause was. As a side note I don't see any E85 on that pump, so 1 more button is needed...

just my $0.02

It can all be done with just two fuel grades and a blending pump.

I've been to a gas station that uses 100 octane race fuel to make everything above 91. Whenever they're out of race fuel (sign will say "NO RACE FUEL"), they block off anything above 91. Their race fuel pumps don't have 91, but I would guess that they still use 91 to blend rather than use more 100 to bring up 87. Their non race fuel pumps have 87/89/91.

images

Someone on here once posted details of the ASTM tests for octane rating and I know it had a tolerance of at least one point. So each of those may actually be the same rating as the ones on each side of it.

Our Utica ethanol blender stations looked like that “back in the day”

Sadly 89 and 90 octane fuels are dead and dying fuels around here.

A tankful of cheap 90 octane e15 would do my car good

Local sheetz have e85, 88(e15), 87, 89, 91, 93. I run e88 exclusively in my 1.5 and 2.7 ecoboosts. The 2.7 of which is my "company" truck that gets treated as a personal in my off time

Lucky bastards, the best we get here in Oz is 98 RON which is the US 94. To think I could have 100 RON/MON that would be at least 104 RON here. My car is tuned to Oz 98 the 104 would be quite a few more ponies 🐴

I’ve seen something like this before at gas stations seems like it was in Indiana or Illinois so we used the odd ones just as a fun thing to do.

Ooh... special unleaded, much better than regular!
I bet the owner of that station has a broken spirit.

Stopped at a new convenience store/Exxon station this morning. I hadn't been there before, and stopped today because I was down to 1/4 tank. They had diesel, and 87. No extra (89) or Supreme (93 here), but they did have a separate nozzle for E0 87! Only .08 more than the independent place some 10 miles away that I've been going to since April of '20.

Back