For the next oil change, the Accord will get…

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20 and and OE Honda oil filter.

Since purchase 7 years ago I ran PP 0w20 and a Fram Ultra. As of last oil change I decided to switch it up and go with M1 moving forward for a variety of reasons. I had initially planned on sticking with the Fram Ultra as my filter of choice but a little voice inside me said to try the OE filter. I’ve used before on my previous Honda will no issues, of course.

I know the OE Honda filters have lower efficiency but it was spec’d by Honda themselves after all. They have a nice pleat count, a “P” style o-ring, silicone ADBV and the proper bypass spec. Not that is of much concern in Fl, but mentioning anyway.

So, if all goes well and I have the BITOG warm fuzzies maybe this will be my new combo moving forward.

3EF50A07-D62C-4E34-8D3C-403384B8C708.jpeg

M1 5w30 EP HM with OEM filter (I got Fram ultra gasket stuck on the oil filter housing with the odyssey 3 days ago, patted myself on the back for always checking to see if gasket on filter or not every time I change the filter) and this Honda engine will thank you.

M1 5w30 EP HM with OEM filter (I got Fram ultra gasket stuck on the oil filter housing with the odyssey 3 days ago, patted myself on the back for always checking to see if gasket on filter or not every time I change the filter) and this Honda engine will thank you.
Nice! I always check as well. From what I recall a gasket has only got stuck once. I always oil the gasket prior to installing spin on oil filters as well.

I just did my civic with that and an ultra yesterday
Nice! The Ultra is a solid choice for sure, it has been my go-to filter for the Honda for years. With Fram's recent change in ownership and subsequent product changes I figured it was a good time to try the OE filter again. I may come back to the Ultra sooner or later, we will see.

Pretty conservative for a k24, no harm could be done that way though. Bet it looks near new under the cover.
I can't bring myself to go beyond 1 year. I won't either as 1 year is the cap in the owners manual. Around 9 months I start itching to change it haha. I'm trying to hold out now! Currently at 8 months since last OCI.

I can't bring myself to go beyond 1 year. I won't either as 1 year is the cap in the owners manual. Around 9 months I start itching to change it haha. I'm trying to hold out now! Currently at 8 months since last OCI.
I have an issue with not wanting to change the oil as i put it off for too long. I haven't changed the oil in the 2021 since last year in feb which was the free dealer fill. But i short trip it and drive it sparsely and have only put on 4600mi on this interval but i'll do it soon anyway since it scares me a bit.

I bet GM takes note of when the olm was reset. when it wasn't, and how long i go after 0% as I'm sure very sure it still tracks and stores that data so it can be pulled. It's at 5% now so I'll definitely do it. Even if i don't pay for the LTE it still sends and receives data. I even got monthly reports on my vehicle by email telling me everything from air pressure, Brake pad life, Oil monitor life, ect and it kind of freaked me out. When it first broke down over a silly fuse I didn't renew the data thing but the onstar person could still retrieve data like fuel level, battery voltage, mileage, CEL status being on, location, and more at their center and it felt dystopian. I can't even opt out of any kind of tracking even if i don't pay for it.

Last edited:
I have an issue with not wanting to change the oil as i put it off for too long. I haven't changed the oil in the 2021 since last year in feb which was the free dealer fill. But i short trip it and drive it sparsely and have only put on 4600mi on this interval but i'll do it soon anyway since it scares me a bit.

I bet GM takes note of when the olm was reset. when it wasn't, and how long i go after 0% as I'm sure very sure it still tracks and stores that data so it can be pulled. It's at 5% now so I'll definitely do it. Even if i don't pay for the LTE it still sends and receives data. I even got monthly reports on my vehicle by email telling me everything from air pressure, Brake pad life, Oil monitor life, ect and it kind of freaked me out. When it first broke down over a silly fuse I didn't renew the data thing but the onstar person could still retrieve data like fuel level, battery voltage, mileage, CEL status being on, location, and more at their center and it felt dystopian. I can't even opt out of any kind of tracking even if i don't pay for it.
My Audi is the same way. With my obdeleven I could see the oil had never been below 95% of full, the average octane of the last tank, average octane of gas for the life of the car, number of WOT pulls and launch controls launches etc. They know more about our cars than we do.

My Audi is the same way. With my obdeleven I could see the oil had never been below 95% of full, the average octane of the last tank, average octane of gas for the life of the car, number of WOT pulls and launch controls launches etc. They know more about our cars than we do.
Definitely and it scares the hell out of me. They have all the data. They can tell if the oil has been reset but not changed. If they see that at X oil temp the oil is at X psi at X rpm and remained and exact same as the old oil and didn't somewhat match up to the chart of fresh oil's characteristics throughout its life they could figure it out. It only takes up mere kilobytes of space to store those little variables and I'm sure the tesla MCU abomination thing my escalade is controlled by has plenty of data to temporarily store before sending it off and deleting it to make room for more. All the system would have to do is track every 5% what the variables are and plot it with a chart of perceived degradation and see what its showing in return. That's why i ain't screwing with it. I ain't the shiniest bowling ball in the alley but i ain't stupid enough to think it won't happen. There's only evidence to support it.

Good oil. Filter, just a Meh for me. Wouldn't chase it. Last I checked, closest dealer here wanted list, ~$8.50 for the A02. Not from me. Never been concerned about OF bypass spec in any aftermarket filter for Honda use.

To each their own.

H o
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20 and and OE Honda oil filter.

Since purchase 7 years ago I ran PP 0w20 and a Fram Ultra. As of last oil change I decided to switch it up and go with M1 moving forward for a variety of reasons. I had initially planned on sticking with the Fram Ultra as my filter of choice but a little voice inside me said to try the OE filter. I’ve used before on my previous Honda will no issues, of course.

I know the OE Honda filters have lower efficiency but it was spec’d by Honda themselves after all. They have a nice pleat count, a “P” style o-ring, silicone ADBV and the proper bypass spec. Not that is of much concern in Fl, but mentioning anyway.

So, if all goes well and I have the BITOG warm fuzzies maybe this will be my new combo moving forward.

View attachment 97462
I hope the oil jug didn't leave an oil mark on you fabric cushion sofa

Good oil. Filter, just a Meh for me. Wouldn't chase it. Last I checked, closest dealer here wanted list, ~$8.50 for the A02. Not from me. Never been concerned about OF bypass spec in any aftermarket filter for Honda use.

To each their own.
I'm not that concerned about bypass spec. We live in FL so temps rarely get low enough for that to be a significant factor, it is just an added bonus. My dealer charged $7.13 if I remember correctly. That is a fair price IMO.

Back