For the big guys and girls. Have you ever damaged a seat with your weight.?

Hi all.

First of all. It is very important for me to point out that I absolutely don't mean to Hurt or critize big people. Obisity is a thing running in my own family. And I am a fat guy myself as well.

I earlier wrote a post about a worry I had for my big build Freind ruining my seats.

That made me and the wife discuss(she thinks I'm an idiot 😊)

My friend weighs 150 kg/330 lbs.

Any of you guys and girls that weigh in that area. Who has actually experienced ruining, breaking or cracking a seat/seatframe?

Again let my make sure all of you understand that I mean know harm to anyone in anyway. If my post is taken that way. I apologize.

Have a nice day.

The seat frame in my Cherokee stress cracked and broke. If you have a driver over 200 pounds, it will break the seat frame eventually. I ended up welding it back together.

I never really paid attention. I just dealt with the wobbling seat. What a wakeup call it was when I realized the only thing holding the seatbelt in was the padding in the seat! Apparently the part where the seatbelt goes broke off a while ago!

@shDK - you don't want to carpool with your friend because you think his weight is going to damage your seats.

You keep getting mixed opinions. Starting another thread won't change the mixed opinions.

So, you must choose what is more important: a seat, or your friendship.

We can't answer that for you.

But if it were me, I would carpool with my friend.

@shDK - you don't want to carpool with your friend because you think his weight is going to damage your seats.

You keep getting mixed opinions. Starting another thread won't change the mixed opinions.

So, you must choose what is more important: a seat, or your friendship.

We can't answer that for you.

But if it were me, I would carpool with my friend.
That decision is taken, and ofcourse I will bring along a good Freind. So far so good.

My new post is mostly out if curiosity if it's actually a real problem, or mostly stories. All examples are from people who have experienced something a long time ago.

I would rather hear it from the good people who might actually experience the problem them self.

The seat frame in my Cherokee stress cracked and broke. If you have a driver over 200 pounds, it will break the seat frame eventually. I ended up welding it back together.

I never really paid attention. I just dealt with the wobbling seat. What a wakeup call it was when I realized the only thing holding the seatbelt in was the padding in the seat! Apparently the part where the seatbelt goes broke off a while ago!
Wow..that's only 90 kg. I doubt all seats are that weak.

I just got off a cruise ship-I saw people who quite frankly would not fit in a seat in a vehicle. I am assuming they ride in the back.....

A driver at 201 pounds will eventually break the seat frame. How many decades will it take before eventually happens??

At well over 300 pound you probably have a point.

So much for crash worthiness. I am without more words to say

I'm a pretty big guy and ended up breaking the sheetmetal seat tub in my Subaru when it was about 10 years old a few years ago. I eventually crushed the front corner of the seat bolster area due to how I got in/out of it. My weight probably started around 200 up to about 275 when I sold it.

Well, I'm 6'2, in the time I've had my car I've varied between 230-280lbs, there's definitely more wear on the outer bolster, but I've not actually broken anything metal
Seat adjustments and motors still work

Mainly concerning my 2006 Camry, that I put 150k miles on in 8 years

I know some older Hondas, the seat rails snap no matter the profile of the driver

A driver at 201 pounds will eventually break the seat frame. How many decades will it take before eventually happens??

At well over 300 pound you probably have a point.

When I bought the vehicle at 10 years, 95000 miles I weighed 170 pounds. I now weigh 220 pounds and the vehicle has 215000. It broke somewhere around 2017 with 210000.

I'm 6'5" and 270lbs and have owned many types of vehicles across all price ranges and this has never even remotely entered my mind not to mention actually been an issue.

The seat frame broke on my ‘96 Cherokee years ago when I was in the upper 200lb range. I’ve since swapped seat frames and seats since then. I had temporarily welded it back together back then. Junk seat frames in the XJ as mentioned above.

This reminds me of the time I worked at a big box store and customers would want me to stack bags of concrete on their seats.

I used to always recommend that they let me stack the bags on the floorboard instead.

OIP.6tKm-0eGZd-fzikh4PiqagHaMm
Looks like her seat got damaged. :ROFLMAO:

Back