For the BBQ fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
11.4 lb brisket, trimmed and seasoned with Weber Chicago Steak seasoning.

brisket005.jpg

brisket008.jpg

brisket007.jpg

Cooking temp of 230, cooked overnight, app 12 hours with hickory.

brisket2009.jpg

brisket3002.jpg

Served with a simple hash brown casserole.

brisket3014.jpg

brisket3015.jpg

Loved the post. Is that a water smoker? What is the final temp of the meat after 12 hours (looks like you have two probes from the photo).

Yeah it's a Weber Smoky Mountain but I don't use water in the pan. I put a pizza stone covered in heavy duty foil on the top edge of the water pan. Easier cleanup and makes a great heat sink/deflector. Meat temp was 201.

That's a neat trick with the pizza stone. I've never been quite satisfied with the briskets I've done--not as juicy as the shoulders. Do you wrap yours in foil later in the cooking cycle?

Briskets can be ornery sob's, which is why I enjoy cooking them so much. On my horizontal offset I always foil them around 160-170 because I think they dry out a little due to the heat moving across the surface. Just a theory. On overnighters on the WSM I don't foil them until I take them off. I always put the foiled brisket in an aluminum pan and let them rest in a cooler insulated with several old towels below the pan and on top.I usually try to let them rest for 2-4 hours before I slice them. Works good for shoulders as well.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Yeah it's a Weber Smoky Mountain but I don't use water in the pan. I put a pizza stone covered in heavy duty foil on the top edge of the water pan.

Awesome idea...my Brinkman, I don't use the water pan, as it's useless. Empty water pan catche fire, and no pan fills the neighbourhood with burning fat/juice smoke.

As you say, a stone would add reasonable thermal mass.

I think the water adds moisture to the BBQ environment and keeps the meats moist and juicy.

You said 12 hours during the night. So you stayed up all night to add charcoal to the fire whenever needed?

I don't even like doing it during the day as I smell like BBQ myself whenever I open that little door to tend to the charcoals. I take frequent showers whenever I BBQ which is a pain in the a...

CivicFan I disagree about water adding moisture.Any water that evaporates into the cooking area simply goes out of the smokestack or dome vent,which should be wide open, with the smoke. Internal moisture comes fom the fat and collagen in the meat. Low and slow is the way to go.

And no I didn't stay up all night. The WSM is so efficient that once the cooking temperature is in the area you want it stays within a few degrees as long as there's fuel in it. It has three vents on the bottom so it's easy to adjust it to the precise temperature you're going for. Great little smokers.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Yeah it's a Weber Smoky Mountain but I don't use water in the pan. I put a pizza stone covered in heavy duty foil on the top edge of the water pan.

Awesome idea...my Brinkman, I don't use the water pan, as it's useless. Empty water pan catche fire, and no pan fills the neighbourhood with burning fat/juice smoke.

As you say, a stone would add reasonable thermal mass.

Another trick is to fill the pan with clean sand and put foil over it.The flavor from fat dripping on the fire is OK for short cooks like chicken or steaks but would probably be unappetizing on long cooks like brisket.Not to mention potential grease fires.

I use an electric Brinkman when I smoke meat. I have a pan that I set on the coil that is filled with mesquite chips that have been soaked in warm water. I add more chips about half way when smoking for 8 - 12 hours. I line the pan with foil and fill it half way with water. When I smoke ribs I marinate them in lemon juice and Penzeys Galena Street rib and chicken rub for about 30 to 40 minutes. I add more rub just before putting them on. Your brisket looks great. Now I want to try one. You can not find a place that makes good brisket in this area so I will make one and invite the kids over.

A good brisket is just about impossible to beat, in my not so humble opinion of course. Even a lousy brisket made at home beats most of what the restaurants serve.Good luck with it,and if I can be of any long distance assistance I would be honored to help.

That's a heck of a pink smoke ring! Meat that you invest that much time and effort in, especially when it turns out that great, is very hard to top. I'm a big fan of smoking pork loins on a summer Sunday afternoon. Good livin' right there!

Mmmmm,pork loins. Haven't smoked one in awhile, may have to do one this weekend. I like to stuff them with brown sugar, pineapple and some sausage.

My parents have a smoker and using the water tray with brisket does the complete opposite of what you think it'll do - it kind of steams the meat and turns it into a hunk of rubber band. Even with the vent wide open and temps in the mid 200s. Maybe it's the smoker, but we've learned to not use the water tray and simply line it with lots of foil.

I don't think you see too many professional barbequers using a water tray.

Depends on the type of meat your smoking. For example they don't imu beef cuts. Pork, turkey and chicken are ideal. Can't beat imu style, best tasting pork, chicken and turkey ... and not one ounce of meat is dry. Literally melts in your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back