For elec guitar players its always about sound plus brand plus amp etc

Ive been playing on and off since I was 12 (64 now) Ive had em all .....Fender strats and tele's Gibson SG and LP's .....Rickenbackers etc
but I always come back to my 72 Fender reverb amp and 75 Sunburst Tele made in USA.....I know they weigh enough to break your back but I just love the clean crisp twang to blues sound i cant get with any other guitar. Second would be my Strat made in Japan.
I sold of my 77 SG walnut .....and I never really got into the Rickenbacker sound.....Ive only owned one ....a used one i bought 30 years ago.
In reading the other day Sammy Hagar says he cant play a Strat worth anything and always plays LP's
Maybe because my first elec was a Fender is why i prefer them to any other elec guitar ive played....
Anybody else have a fav guitar setup they play

The old Fender tube amps of the 1960s and 70s when pushed nailed the great sound. The Tele is one of my favorite sounding guitars most get the twangy country sound out of them but there are some rockers that make the Tele sound great [Prince for an example] I am 69 years and in the 7th grade to past high school days I had friends that had bands and I enjoyed the amp sound differences and the differences in the guitar sounds. The Strats and the Teles can get the job done and do it well.

Last edited:
Strats seem to be the most frequent choice of "players" of all kinds and has great versatility and great tone (to me). I'm not sure that I'd put SH in that category tho. We just saw Skunk Baxter last night in a tiny venue (50 seats?) and he had three beautiful Strats (only) with him and he played everything from blues to funk to country to prog rock on them. Single coil vs Humbucker - just depends on what sound you're looking for - most players have at least one of each. Mike Campbell makes a Rick sound great, but not a popular choice. Great players make anything sound good!

I have a Suhr Strat and an older Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul (for when I want to try to channel Neil Young) and a Clark tube amp. I sound equally bad no matter which I pick up, but I have fun anyway. :)

Last edited:
I do not play but would want a Nonreverse Firebird and a stack of Marshall's.
I have played a Firebird copy (Epiphone) some years back and liked the way it played....and came close to buying an Epiphone model....but never got aound to it....in fact you sparked my wanting one again.....mosey on over to guitar center and play one next week.

Strats seem to be the most frequent choice of "players" of all kinds and has great versatility and great tone (to me). I'm not sure that I'd put SH in that category tho. We just saw Skunk Baxter last night in a tiny venue (50 seats?) and he had three beautiful Strats (only) with him and he played everything from blues to funk to country to prog rock on them. Single coil vs Humbucker - just depends on what sound you're looking for - most players have at least one of each. Mike Campbell makes a Rick sound great, but not a popular choice. Great players make anything sound good!
Yeah he could make a 65 Sears model that the case was the amp sound good

Yeah he could make a 65 Sears model that the case was the amp sound good
For sure. He's kept himself in good shape and can still play to beat the band - they played a great arrangement of "My Old School" and he just ripped it. It's reported that at one point he owned 400+ guitars!

Last edited:
I have played a Firebird copy (Epiphone) some years back and liked the way it played....and came close to buying an Epiphone model....but never got aound to it....in fact you sparked my wanting one again.....mosey on over to guitar center and play one next week.
Reverb has a beautiful vintage 1965 Sunburst selling for $10k. :oops:

I love the tone. The Fender tube amp business is a pure winner. Any thoughts on Orange Amps ?

Reverb has a beautiful vintage 1965 Sunburst selling for $10k. :oops:

I love the tone. The Fender tube amp business is a pure winner. Any thoughts on Orange Amps ?
Ive never played on one....I think they are made in UK? Ive read they have great tone for rock/blues....
I bought a cube amp about 10 years ago at a going out of biz place in Glendale AZ .....nice little 10w amp....
My Princeton reverb Fender is still my amp and has been for 50 years ....you cant beat those tube amps for sound...
and i have a Fender Champ.....
Been using those 3 amps all my life....well the fender reverb anyway....
I had a Mesa boogie amp some years ago and sold it to a friend....
Someplace I read that Clapton used a Fender Champ turned up to record Layla with....Have no way to know if its true or not.....

Last edited:
Ive never played on one....I think they are made in UK? Ive read they have great tone for rock/blues....
I bought a cube amp about 10 years ago at a going out of biz place in Glendale AZ .....nice little 10w amp....
My Princeton reverb Fender is still my amp and has been for 50 years ....you cant beat those tube amps for sound...
and i have a Fender Champ.....
Been using those 3 amps all my life....well the fender reverb anyway....
I had a Mesa boogie amp some years ago and sold it to a friend....
Someplace I read that Clapton used a Fender Champ turned up to record Layla with....Have no way to know if its true or not.....

Maybe, but Duane Allman played all the interesting (slide) bits in that song!

Vox was big in the 60's .....Paul Revere and the raiders always come to mind.....they had some strange looking models.....
I bought a Vox Phantom guitar in 1967 sadly I sold it years later once I realized that my music aptitude was close to negative 59. It was a really nice guitar. This is a fun post !

Guitar Center will have something for you to spend your $$$$ on !

Back