For DIYers: Cannot remove lift and turn stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this to terrylove.com, but so far no response and BITOGers are always so helpful, so here it goes.

The tub is draining a bit slow, so I decided to remove the stopper and thought it would be very easy. Turns out, not so easy.

-No set screw.
-I have tried to turn the stopper CCW when there is tension, but it is not coming off.
-After removing the top, it looked like the stopper was turnable via a screwdriver in the top, but no joy.
-I put needle-nose pliers on the brass section and it turned, but it never loosened that I could turn it by hand, so I stopped.

Not sure what brand of stopper/drain, but the home was built by Lennar in 2013 (if that matters).

I purchased a drain weasel at Home Depot and it cleared the drain, but I still want to get the dang stopper off.

Any ideas and thanks in advance.

That's called a push/pull or lift and turn stopper. The insert in the middle unscrews using a flat bladed screwdriver (1st image). It doesn't look like the channel style (2nd image).

Looks like you may have to pry out the stopper. Get a dumbell wrench and remove the drain body and replace the whole unit.

I would try the pieces extending downward; they may clip into something below and just need to be pressed inward to release.

I will keep looking at it. Under the drain, the basement is unfinished, so at least I have options. Thanks all, just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking something easy.

I hate those. I don't know how many times I've stepped on or stubbed a toe on that. A lot of hotels use them and many are installed in the middle side of the tub instead of the faucet end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back