“For BP, car chargers to overtake pumps in profitability race”

“LONDON, Jan 14 (Reuters) - BP says its fast electric vehicle chargers are on the cusp of becoming more profitable than filling up a petrol car….

The milestone will mark a significant moment for BP which wants to shift away from oil and expand operations in power markets and around electric vehicles (EV)…

"If I think about a tank of fuel versus a fast charge, we are nearing a place where the business fundamentals on the fast charge are better than they are on the fuel," BP's head of customers and products Emma Delaney told Reuters…

London-based BP plans to grow its EV charging business in the coming years to 70,000 charging points by 2030 from 11,000 now…

Shell aims to have 500,000 charging points globally by 2025. On Thursday it opened its first ultra-fast EV charging station in London, which can charge 80% of a car battery in 10 minutes.”

“LONDON, Jan 14 (Reuters) - BP says its fast electric vehicle chargers are on the cusp of becoming more profitable than filling up a petrol car….

The milestone will mark a significant moment for BP which wants to shift away from oil and expand operations in power markets and around electric vehicles (EV)…

"If I think about a tank of fuel versus a fast charge, we are nearing a place where the business fundamentals on the fast charge are better than they are on the fuel," BP's head of customers and products Emma Delaney told Reuters…

London-based BP plans to grow its EV charging business in the coming years to 70,000 charging points by 2030 from 11,000 now…

Shell aims to have 500,000 charging points globally by 2025. On Thursday it opened its first ultra-fast EV charging station in London, which can charge 80% of a car battery in 10 minutes.”

Looks like a good stock to buy!

But will the electric grid support all of this??? Just because you build this super charging thing, will the local power plant be able to handle it?
Downtown areas have a big power grid. With increasing energy efficiency of buildings, the electric infrastructure is now probably overbuilt.

When home A/C was becoming common, did anyone say what about the grid, we can’t have A/C it takes too much? No, they said install the pad for the outside unit over there where we hear it less. Then there is electric heat and electric cooking. Too hard on the grid? No one says that, because they want these things. So now people want more electric cars.

Well I have NOT SEEN ONE gas station with "electric pumps"

I see Tesla stations at Hilton owned hotels, and one Wal-Mart.....

Charging stations need to be at least 20 kilowatt or they are useless overnight charging..

When home A/C was becoming common, did anyone say what about the grid, we can’t have A/C it takes too much? No, they said install the pad for the outside unit over there where we hear it less. Then there is electric heat and electric cooking. Too hard on the grid? No one says that, because they want these things. So now people want more electric cars.
That was because much of "the grid" was being used to develop nuclear weapons, once that matured, that consumption matured, went to modern conveniences.... and the grid was built for 50+ years out.

Some Petro Canada stations (in Canada obviously) offer CCS and CHAdeMO hook ups with "350kW at most locations, which allows a typical EV to charge in 30 minutes or less". One of these stations is just down the road from us. So it's starting.

They don't offer a Tesla hook up, but you can buy a CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla, and CCS adapters are available in the after-market (and as of a couple months ago were being test marketed by Tesla in Korea).

I'll get a CCS adapter when they're offered by Tesla. The CHAdeMO adapter apparently works well but I think that technology is going to be left behind.

I do all my charging in my own garage and there is a Tesla Supercharger less than 30 miles away that I've never used. And I have 1500 free Supercharger miles available too.

One of our local BP stations quietly installed an EV charger recently with Chademo, CCS and AC. They haven't worked out how to bill for it yet so it's currently free. Tesla's here use CCS.
But also about a year ago some fool managed to burn down the entire forecourt by checking the level of a bucket of gasoline with a lighter.

822340.jpeg

20210116_084329.jpg

Charging stations need to be at least 20 kilowatt or they are useless overnight charging..

Pretty common out here. Here's a shell on the 5 with 4 high speed chargers.

Note all gas pumps are full at this stop but it has open chargers.

Compare to how much power our home can handle vs use at any instance, we will not see everyone turn on their heater at the same second and set them to the same temperature. What I think will happen, is that there is enough overbuild in the local grid to handle the extra load, and with smart meter and time of use rate, we will see prices shift some of the load around and industrial / commercial load will get shift to save money and conserve power at different time of the day.

If they can handle summer AC load they can handle EV charging during off peak, and people will charge during off peak to get a discount.

gas stations never got much profit from selling fuel. All their profit came from the store or mechanic shop attached to it.
Which is perfect if a guy needs 10 minutes for a fill. He can grab some coffee or get a Coke and a bag of Cheetos. I need to see the cost of the fast charger and divide it by the 10 min intervals to see what kind of revenue it needs to derive. At 5 cars per hr x 12 hours of constant business, he could run 60 cars through the charger. At $1.00 per minute, that’s $10 per car minus his bulk cost of power. Does someone else want to say how many kwhrs can be delivered in 10 minutes?

Last edited:
You don't always need to justify prime gas station-style forecourt real estate.
This is a clever example in a town 140 km from me. Two 300 kW chargers placed in the median between a Burger King and a free public parking lot. Everything in this town is within a 5 minute walk from here.

temp1.jpeg

not my car, BTW
temp2.jpeg

Perhaps the “ gas station “ approach is one big red herring. The realistic charge rate is currently more like 40 minutes I believe. Not much room for more than say 10 cars at a time. It might turn out that big box stores with huge parking lots within sight of the interstate will be the refueling stations of the future.

It will require major investments in the infrastructure to install EV charging in the US.

It's 2022. I have ONLY seen EV charging (about 5 stations) at Walmart, and 2 charging stations at a recent hotel stay. It seems to me that hotels and grocery stores are the more logical locations.

I've seen zero, Z.E.R.O., EV charging stations at any gas stations. Around here, I'm not sure how you'd charge your EV if you don't do so at home (requiring a special outlet as I understand).

Last edited:
Does someone else want to say how many kwhrs can be delivered in 10 minutes?
300 kW means 300 kWh per 60 minutes, or 5 kWh per minute, or a kWh every 12 seconds. So 50 kWh in 10 minutes.

The screen on the charger says the last car was charged 28 kWh in 40 minutes, which is a much more modest rate of about 45 kW.

Just guessing, a house would have about 15 kW of grid capacity planned for it, so one of these 300 kW hyperchargers would require the grid infrastructure of 20 houses.

Back