For all Havoline fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run to your local Target! They have all grades of Havoline on sale for $0.68/qt. The oil is made by Chevron and is identical to the Chevron Supreme according to the data sheets. My brother and I bought about 60 bottles of SL 5W-30 and 10W-30.
grin.gif
FYI, they have alot of other merchandise on clearance, discounted at least 30%. Good luck!

Does anyone know if this Havoline (which is a Group II base stock) is the same oil as the Chevron Supreme that has been showing such good analysis results?

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:
Does anyone know if this Havoline (which is a Group II base stock) is the same oil as the Chevron Supreme that has been showing such good analysis results?

If you compare the data specs, they appear identical. You can compare the specs here. Search for "Supreme" and "Havoline".

quote:

Originally posted by Green Max:

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:

If you compare the data specs, they appear identical. You can compare the specs here. Search for "Supreme" and "Havoline".

Keep in mind that Target may be clearing the "older" Havoline to make room for the "newer" Havoline. If they are the same oil, I would expect the pricing of each oil to approach one another. Nonetheless, I did pick up a lot of oil at my local Target for 0.68/qt. Thanks for the heads up.

So what is the difference between "older" Havoline and the "newer" stuff? Never heard of it referred to that way before.

What I saw on the shelves at my local Target was API SL oil, and a ChevronTexaco product, not Equilon.

I don't frequent Target much (don't like the store) but I took a ride over yesterday to check out the Havoline (I need more oil stock like I need a hole in the head). The regular price was $119 and the discounted price was 0.99 at the store near me. Still a decent price but not cheap enough to make me buy more. It's almost a good thing it was 0.68/qt. or I would have definitely hauled a few more cases home
grin.gif

The only diffeence in Havoline and Chevron is in the 5w-30. The pumping at -30 is 5300 for Havoline and 6300 for Chevron.

I've never had problems with SuperTech, but, I'm not married to it, either. I just got back from Target with 24 quarts of 10W-30 Havoline. They have the same price on Chevron Supreme, too (at least at the Fontana, CA store I went to). The older Havoline says Equilon on the back of the bottles. The newer Havoline says Chevron instead. That 6300 vs. 5300 @ -30 pumping might just be a typo... It seems odd that Chevron would go to the trouble (read, "EXPEN$E") to supply an oil with different specs for the subsidiary label. Even if the additive package was cheaper, it still might be more expensive to blend since Chevron would have to maintain separate additive stocks and would also forfeit the economies of scale of running a common production run into two different label bottles. (But, hey, what do I know?) Also, are you sure that that spec difference was for the same weight grade range? Not trying to pick on you, JonS, just trying alternative explanations for the apparent spec discrepency.

Billman, you're probably right. I was in AutoZone this afternoon and noticed that all the Havoline stock there said, "New and Improved" in a little yellow sticker in the upper right hand corner of the bottle. On the back of the container it said that the detergent additives were improved.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
Billman, you're probably right. I was in AutoZone this afternoon and noticed that all the Havoline stock there said, "New and Improved" in a little yellow sticker in the upper right hand corner of the bottle. On the back of the container it said that the detergent additives were improved.

I was only speculating "older" and "newer" Havoline for the reasons that Ray H. mentioned:

quote:

The older Havoline says Equilon on the back of the bottles. The newer Havoline says Chevron instead. That 6300 vs. 5300 @ -30 pumping might just be a typo... It seems odd that Chevron would go to the trouble (read, "EXPEN$E") to supply an oil with different specs for the subsidiary label. Even if the additive package was cheaper, it still might be more expensive to blend since Chevron would have to maintain separate additive stocks and would also forfeit the economies of scale of running a common production run into two different label bottles.

I have seen that "New and Improved" label as well, but it was at a market in a REALLY small town and it was SJ oil.

[ March 02, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: billman ]

quote:

Originally posted by billman:
...I have seen that "New and Improved" label as well, but it was at a market in a REALLY small town and it was SJ oil.

When the SL oils hadn't been officially introduced yet, at least two companies (Mobil and Havoline) jumped the gun by blending to the most recent proposed standard a "new and improved" formulation that they thought would meet the upcoming SL standard. The API "donut" still said "SJ", but buried in the back-of-the-bottle text minutiae was reference to the upcoming "SL/ILSAC GF-3" standard. I would speculate that the havoline you found in the town of "American Gothic" was part of an unsold run of this formulation. I suspect the most reliable way to assure that the Havoline you buy today is the latest and greatest, is to verify the presence of "ChevronTexaco" on the back of the bottle. I did find several bottles without the yellow "sticker" graphic that were labled as having been made by ChevronTexaco on the back of the bottle. Perhaps that "sticker" is merely temporary? While the sale is clearly indicated for "clearance" purposes, I wonder whether Target is really going to cease selling Chevron Supreme and Havoline motor oils. All the text is in English, so I'm entertaining thoughts that maybe that's why they're clearing existing stock out - so they can make way for bottles with revised labeling in both English and Spanish. WallyWorld's "SuperTech" oil labels are already in both languages, as are Pennzoil's, Castrol's, and Quaker State's. But, again, what do I know?...

This is interesting, on the 5W-30 bottles there is a sticker "Now Improved for Better Engine Protection" but not on the 10W-30 bottles. Both are SL oil and supplied by Chevron.

At the Target store in Longview, Tx, yesterday, all the Havoline was indeed on sale for $.68/qt. All I looked at was SL rated, & said Chevron/Texaco on the back of the bottle. I haven't bought any yet, not sure what I'd do with it. Mebbe save it for another full-house Auto-Rx cleaning? I'm trying to resist, but name brand...good oil...*cheap* price...good to have someday...yeah, I can tell it's gonna be a losing battle.
grin.gif

cool deal.

my target had 5w30 and 20w50 quart bottles on the sale price, and the kicker is they said "new and improved" on the bottles!!!!

soo it looks like i got the new stock for the old stock price, i bought every bottle they had, like 40 quarts or somthing.

looks like i wont be buying oil for another year or so. now if only i could find some decent oil filters (wix pur1 k&n etc) at a goood price, id stock up on those too!

yea... bought 59 quarts today of 5w30 and 10w30, ill never use it in my car, but im going to change everyones oil i know and make a little profit! i think i should go buy more bottles...

Just to confirm that the Target clearance seems pretty universal, I also found the made by Chevron, Group II SL version on .68/quart clearance. Only bought 12 since I'd just nabbed a case of Chevron at Costco for .99/quart, but this is a very good deal indeed. I may succumb to "oil hording" and grab some more.

At better than 50% net ROI, it's better than anything else in my portfolios these days.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back