food savers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife wants a vacuum food saver.
We know nothing about these.
I have looked on line at ones that range from $40 to over $250 yikes.
Any real world experience with one would be helpful.

I had a food saver brand for 20 years that worked fine. It finally quit working and I bought a BREVO model off Amazon and it works just as well. I use it all the time. I have always used just the basic model since I just use it to vac pack and freeze, so don't need anything fancier. I only paid about 40 bucks for the BREVO and I buy my pint and quart bags in bulk off of eBay.

250 just starts getting into something useable think I spent near 300 on sale years ago and still in use today at Cabelas and recommend the commercial model highly CG15 . After going the cheap route with others and just getting frustrated with them don't waste your time and money with them. I'll sit back and wait to get torched but you can thank me if you go high end immediately learn from others mistakes.

My wife has the old 3425 model and it works fine. It's great for freezing leftover meals. Do yourself a favor and don't go cheap. You will need to put out about $200. They are running a sale, right now.
https://www.foodsaver.com

Last edited:
Check the price of the consumables. Give away the razor, charge up the yin-yang for blades.

Originally Posted by Inked
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ar...e-with-10-1-4-seal-bar/120VMASVP215.html

I bought the VacMaster VP215 about 2 years ago and use it often. It's a chamber vacuum which I use for soups and sauces. Otherwise I would have bought a Foodsaver and saved money.
The chamber vacuum sealer is the key, because you can use commercial off the shelf bags that are much cheaper than the Food Saver bags. Like razors, printers, coffee makers, etc the profit is in the consumables, not the unit itself. I used to work in a butcher shop that had all sorts of different bags and it was a lot more convenient than that goofy roll of Food Saver bags. You can also use it to marinate things which is a function that is just as important as portioning/storing food: we used to offer pre-marinated stuff at the butcher shop this way.

Last edited:
I recently bought a $40 Foodsaver to see if I would even like using one. It has been great and works quite well IMO.
Don't know what I am missing in the more expensive models except some take wider bags. The really big ones that mine take are over a gallon and plenty large.

We have a Foodsaver brand that we probably paid $75 for 10 years ago. We buy in bulk on sale and use it to break it down into meal size portions. Can't recall ever freezing leftovers as that is next day's lunch. It's starting to slow down but it's been used a bunch. We buy rolls of the bagging on Amazon. What does a $250 unit get you?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
We have a Foodsaver brand that we probably paid $75 for 10 years ago. We buy in bulk on sale and use it to break it down into meal size portions. Can't recall ever freezing leftovers as that is next day's lunch. It's starting to slow down but it's been used a bunch. We buy rolls of the bagging on Amazon. What does a $250 unit get you?
Neater, more professional results with cheaper consumables. Higher speed,greater ease of use and increased flexibility because you are not stuck using the same tube of bags. The Food Saver system seems bush league when you have used a chamber vacuum sealer with access to a variety of bags.

My wife and I bought a Foodsave FM5480 from Costco when it was on sale for $99. We have really enjoyed what it does for us. This is our first vacuum sealer, and we had never anticipated the savings in food expense that can be had with a vacuum sealer. One feature I didn't anticipate liking as much as I do is the marinate container. It really does speed up the process of marinading steaks.

Have had very good luck with my NESCO VS-02. $53 at the moment.
Affordable and I get the rolls of bags on Amazon.

JP

I agree with the don't go cheap crowd , I got one off eBay from" C" and it was crap. We did buy a food saver at a consignment shop, Great but only time will tell if it was worth $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back