Food Prices

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm just now starting to feel the pinch a bit ... I feel bad for those with less than I have. Yesterday, at Costco, I bought some less expensive cuts of chicken than usual, drumsticks instead of thighs.

For example, English Muffins are up 33 1/3%, Rao's Sauce is up 24%, Ground Pork is up 14.5%, and frozen entrees are up 19%... I'm happy that I have many shopping options and can choose sources for purchases. And I can save $$$ because I know how to cook and have no need to buy prepared items even though I sometimes do.

How are you faring during these inflationary times?

Groceries-wise, pork price barely rose but has been on BOGO sale for almost the entire year so I've been eating a lot of that while my chicken and beef consumption has lowered because of the prices (+$2/pound for chicken and beef from pre-CV-19.) Milk and bread almost doubled; almond milk is up $1. Fruit and veggie prices seem to be steady so I'm happy for that. I'm not being hit that hard as I live alone and I will eat just about anything but I too feel bad for those who barely scrape by and/or have multiple mouths to feed.

Rice has gone up nearly $5-10 per 35 pound bag of rice; depending on the store but two bags usually last me an entire year.

Shel,

I don't have an answer to your post, but want to share this awesome grocery store in Lewisburg/ Mifflinburg PA. It is a store that buys the contents of trucks overturned that were filled with food, closeouts, test runs of product (that end up not being available to the general public), just an awesome store to save money on food and it is a bit of a treasure hunt. I could not believe all the product this grocer sold that I never heard of. The store employees are all Mennonite. I don't know if it is a policy that is protected under the religious exemption of Title VII of the EEOC, or just that is who applies for work- the employees work crazy hard.

If on a road trip to central PA- what a fun place to shop for food at a major discount:

Feeling the pinch everywhere I spend money, but groceries sting more because you can't do without, and so far my family doesn't get cutting back on ultra expensive convenience items.

We've cut back on luxury items. Otherwise, our meal plan hasn't changed much. We're fortunate have a local butcher shop that's been largely unaffected. I can still get skinless, boneless chicken breasts for $2.29/lb and 80/20 ground chuck for 5 lbs for $20.

The inflation is hitting in other ways than just increased prices. A couple local restaurants haven't increased their prices but have cut portions instead. At a local chicken place, the strip basket now comes with 3 strips instead of 4. At another place, their sirloin steak dinner now has an 8 oz sirloin instead of a 12 oz. A lot of that is going on. I've wondered if/how that gets figured into inflation figures. Do they account for that or do they just see the price hasn't changed and claim 0% inflation there.

We have a pair of good competing grocery stores in town, so they haven't been free to explore the upper price limits of what people will pay. I think overall our bill has gone up 20% since 2019 but we quit buying things that have really gone up. Steaks and beef are now only a "on sale" only item.
We always did mostly buy what's on sale anyways, so the grocery bill isn't really a big expense for us. There are stores nearby that people happily pay twice as much for the same items we get, but I guess they have more money to burn!

Milk here has gone up about 25% since 2016, as the supply and prices are regulated but its always been more expensive here than in the US.

My answer is, help your brothers and sisters if you can. Learn from this!
Agreed! And not just food. For years (pre-pandemic) sweetie and I would hit the local thrift shop and buy winter coats and jackets and drop 'em off at the local library when they had their clothing drive.

My apartment building would participate in our town's annual city-wide garage sale and a good portion of what we took in was donated to the local rescue mission.

One year a group of us pooled our resources, went to Costco, and bought enough stuff to almost fill the bed of a short-bed Tacoma, all of which went to a local food pantry.

I'm not saying this to give ourselves an atta-boy, but to put out some ideas of what can be done for others.

I'd like more money in my retirement accounts but day to day my cash flow is worry free. But I do see the increase in prices. From a 6pack of beer to golf pants. Things are definitely more expensive than they used to be.

Agreed! And not just food. For years (pre-pandemic) sweetie and I would hit the local thrift shop and buy winter coats and jackets and drop 'em off at the local library when they had their clothing drive.

My apartment building would participate in our town's annual city-wide garage sale and a good portion of what we took in was donated to the local rescue mission.

One year a group of us pooled our resources, went to Costco, and bought enough stuff to almost fill the bed of a short-bed Tacoma, all of which went to a local food pantry.

I'm not saying this to give ourselves an atta-boy, but to put out some ideas of what can be done for others.
Well done Shel.
I have been on both sides; I've needed a little and I given a little. And this side is much better.

The coat thing is pretty cool. A friend does a coat drive every year.

Well done Shel.
I have been on both sides; I've needed a little and I given a little. And this side is much better.

The coat thing is pretty cool. A friend does a coat drive every year.
As have I. The coat thing was sweetie's idea.

Last edited:
We're middle income America too. Right now, I'm prioritizing pay off all discretionary debt sometime by the middle of the summer next year, all but the mortgage

this is why were feeling a pinch too i'm pushing ourselves, no rush to pay it off honestly but I cannot stand the debt

and yes we're buying groceries everywhere pretty much

We have simplified our food purchases list. Keep it simple. Dried beans and peas make excellent soups. I am eating split pea soup with Spam tonight.

Buy store brands versus name brands. Look for sales or coupons. Take advantage of rewards plans. Kroger has a good one that helps save on gasoline.

There are a number of things that we just don’t buy anymore. Beef for example.

Keep meals simple. I can eat for breakfast one packet of instant oatmeal (15¢) and two Turkey sausage patties (50¢). Quick and easy and economical.

This is the same thing we did during the 70’s and early 80’s.

I worked with a sweet little gal a few years ago. She had a live-in boyfriend at the time.

Prior to fall, he bought a new Harley Davidson bike. She drove an old Jeep that would barely run most days. She was NOT happy on his decision! Anyway, she had no decent winter coat to wear. Was freezing when we went outside. She had 5 Daughters as well and very little money.

Anyway, I said screw this, I am buying her a nice Carhart jacket. We met and I did exactly that. Then he had the balls to confront me and say I hurt his feelings, because he could not afford a new coat for her??? Poor baby little man. Afford a new bike and not a $100 coat for your woman?

Thank God she dumped him after a few years of his crap. Her and I are still friends.

I just save money where I can. I don't really worry about it. If it looks expensive, I look for something else. I don't really do math at the store. Some basics like Coffee are needed and I just buy it. Sucks when you see the total but I only have a few hours after work to spare and can't really do anything about the prices other than. Shop at Walmart

Walmart Q3 earning were up - sales of groceries etc were up. Target was a big miss with not so good guidance. Amazon laying off thousands. It looks like the way most people are saving is downgrading their purchases to walmart or other cheaper stores.

I have reached a point where grocery money isn't something I worry about - but still I always have shopped at walmart. I could never figure out why I should pay more for a can of beans just because the store plays fancy music and the manager runs around in a tie. I grew up absolutely dirt poor and learned long ago not to judge people by the way they dress or where they shop.

For those looking for cheaper meat - the walmart chuck roast flavor is pretty good but there tough - at least around here. If you sear both sides then throw them in the oven on 350 for a couple hours they turn out pretty good. I use a cruzet dutch oven but I presume it would work with any pot thats covered tightly.

Back