Food grade grease that will handle 572*F ALL day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven

Any super high temp food grade greases out there. Needs to run at a constant 300*C (572*F) all day long. Right now we're using Shell's highest temp food grade rated grease and we're going through 2 tubes a day, turns to water and ends up on the floor. Shell is going to try some custom formulations for us but the cost associated with that is very prohibitive. An "off the shelf" grease that meets those specs would be ideal. Any hopefulls out there?

Last edited:
You couldn't possibly be any more vague about the specific application, could you? I don't see how you can expect to get any serious responses with the input that you have provided.

What application is this in? Most food grade grease are made for cold environments.

I remember there was some really nice german made stuff, when i worked at cargill. Can't think of the name, but i could ask.

Must be for a cooking device. BBQ, or oven/baking? I don't know if any grease food grade or not will handle 572 degrees. Let alone all day.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ven
Any super high temp food grade greases out there. Needs to run at a constant 300*C (572*F) all day long. Right now we're using Shell's highest temp food grade rated grease and we're going through 2 tubes a day, turns to water and ends up on the floor. Shell is going to try some custom formulations for us but the cost associated with that is very prohibitive. An "off the shelf" grease that meets those specs would be ideal. Any hopefulls out there?

Maybe try Zip?
http://www.themoldersedge.com/ZipSlip.htm

Their Zip Slip (which I use on my car) is only good to 400F, but you may want to contact them to ask if they can do something for you in your special case. The times I've dealt with them, they've been very helpful.

Originally Posted By: Knox
No. Food grade grease (in the US), is USDA certified, for incidental contact with food.

Hear's what i was thinking of, Kluber Allplex FMG-2 US.

You could also give, Amsoil "X-Treme Food Grade Grease" a try as well.

Neither one is rated for constant use at that temperature, but that's as close as i could think of.

Kluber is going to send a few sample tubes for us to try, and are open to blending a custom lube for us too. I've already tried the Amsoil and it went to water too, but did hold up longer than anything else we've tried so far. Will update after I try the samples.

Last edited:
This grease says it will handle 800F constant, 1000f intermittent.

But, it's going to put a gouge in your pocketbook:

http://www.superior-industries.com/fg_1200_product_112.html

"recommended for applications where grease lubrication is called for and where continuous temperatures exceed 260°C (500°F). Maximum working temperature for FG-1200 should be considered to be approximately 425°C (800°F), however, higher temperatures on an intermittent basis are acceptable to 540°C (1000°F)."

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Is there any way to engineer a solution that you don't use grease? oil lubricated bearings? dry bearings?

We`re going to look into that for the next budget. Right now my hands are tied as to modification and down time to the machine, but my operating budget for ancillaries like grease is much more flexible. But that doesn't make it right since we're blowing $24 a day just on grease not including technical time to keep this thing lubed.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
This grease says it will handle 800F constant, 1000f intermittent.

But, it's going to put a gouge in your pocketbook:

http://www.superior-industries.com/fg_1200_product_112.html

"recommended for applications where grease lubrication is called for and where continuous temperatures exceed 260°C (500°F). Maximum working temperature for FG-1200 should be considered to be approximately 425°C (800°F), however, higher temperatures on an intermittent basis are acceptable to 540°C (1000°F)."

I'll be in contact with these guys Monday. The cost isn't an issue if it works. It will likely be less money to use that grease than what we're doing now.

Another company to try is Lubriplate: 800-733-4755

Lubrication Engineers: 2705 might work, 9965 is another potential idea ~ (800) 537-7683

Call either of them and they might direct you to an even better grease. I have had good luck with LE myself.

bob

I have two different ones. The Schaeffer's 195 is Aluminum Complex. It's water proof and stays in place during clean up. Your temp requirement is on the outside limit but has worked with one of my clients who reported the same levels. The 195 cut their grease consumption by more than 50% over Lithium base greases because of the water proof characteristic.

The second grease is a Bentone (clay) base that has no melting point. You have to be sure of the thickening agents with this grease because Bentone is incompatible with other greases. This grease can easily handle 1200+ degrees but a thorough flush is required to prevent grease failure due to compatibility issues. I have samples of this grease I can send you if you PM your address.

I'd be interested in running a trial with the Bentone based grease. I'm going to confer with NTN and see if that bearing design is favorable to that kind of lubricant. We don't utilize a bulk dispenser, each operator station has it's own grease gun so we'd need 14oz tubes if it comes in that format.

I've got a case of tubes just taking up space. I'm happy to send a few of them.Email me your address.
Originally Posted By: Ven
I'd be interested in running a trial with the Bentone based grease. I'm going to confer with NTN and see if that bearing design is favorable to that kind of lubricant. We don't utilize a bulk dispenser, each operator station has it's own grease gun so we'd need 14oz tubes if it comes in that format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back