Followup OCI question for the Auzzies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awhile ago, we had a good discussion about how Australians typically follow the manufacturer's OCIs (15,000 kilometers with dino oil) in contrast to the US 5,000KM/3,000 mile OCIs.

My next question is - how do engines hold up to this treatment? What is the typical lifespan of cars/engines down there? I'd say here in the US people get 150,000 miles without trying too hard.

The 15,000 OCIs are a relatively recent phenomenon, as a marketting ploy from the car manufacturers.

Using 10k OCIs and Dino (admitedly usually 20W-40 or 20W-50), engines usually see out 250,000km easily before they start using oil at any more than a litre per 5000km.

Many older vehicles here. Most use same engines as those in NA. 20W50 would be most used viscosity in these older cars but overall xW40 now the largest seller according to Mobil. Owners would expect 300,000kms at least if reg maintenance done. Nobody cares much about viscosity or oil types. I'm seen as loony for thinking oil and related stuff could be of any possible interest.

Hi,
I will give a comment from a number of perspectives

1 - I always automatically go to about 50% over makers OCI recommendation or 12 months for my OCI. Once the first OC is done of course and the engine/transmission moved to a fully conforming synthetic

2 - My small truck fleet has always had OCI's determined by UOAs

3 - Other Trucking Companies use conforming mineral oils and most follow the Manufacturer's recommended OCI. At great cost to themselves - old practices die hard!

4 - Some Trucking Companies have used sub-standard oils and extended OCIs for "cost" reasons only to find that premature engine wear is a much greater burden! Especially when still under Warranty and the Maker tells them to "go jump"!

5 - Generally as I have observed ( from my staff etc ) newer vehicles are locked into the Makers recommended OCI. Even KIA, Daewoo, Hyundai etc.
BMW, Porsche, MB etc are all on synthetics and a return to Dealer mentality exists!

Older vehicles are a very big mix of "do it yourself" and "return to a Dealer for servicing".
And the "when is it due?", "I can't remember the last time...", "don't know mate I just add top-up" type of attitude

Others do stick to about the makers OCI

As to engine life, I have very rarely heard about rapid engine wear or oil consumption issues "at large". Very rarely do you see any oil burners emitting blue smoke here

My son's "starter" cars - Datsuns - had done well over 200k miles when disposed of with no engine work having been done
from new. The oils? - typically the el-cheapo 20w-50 GTX types of course!

Regards

Hi,
Sprintman - too thick, just like me!

Welcome to 2004 - all the best

I must say though that the change from 15w-50 Shell Ultra to 5w-40 Delvac 1 made a difference to the responsiveness of the Porsche

With the temps around 40C+ up here perhaps the 25w-70 stuff might start to look good in everything except a horse and cart!

Regards

Thanks for all the great responses, guys. The thing I find astounding about all of this is that it was the OIL company (Shell) web site that mentioned the 15,000 KM interval!
dunno.gif

The trend in Aus at the moment is for car manufacturers to offer free log book servicing for 3 years.

So the cars are getting 15,000 km changes with the oil changed by the factory, for free. This worries me, given the incentive to save money on oil.

I am looking for another car in the next few years. My choices are:

1) Second Hand GM V6: 3 years old. Log book servicing with cheap dino at 15,000 km. Coolant never changed. Average 65,000 KM on odomter.

- Dealer with warranty: $AU 25,000
- Ex-govt (no warranty): $AU 22,000
- Private: $AU 21,000

2) Buy new: $AU 35,000

I am thinking that no matter how much wear is on the second-hand cars with slack maintenance, the savings are still worth it, given the massive depreciation on new cars. After all, if the engine siezed (not likley) and I rebuilt/blueprinted the engine for 35% better performance, I would still be ahead.

[ January 14, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Andrew ]

Andrew;
Definitely agree with your logic there...if the rest of the car is in nice shape, you can save enough on depreciation to cover the cost of a new engine if you needed it (prematurely). Though who knows how much earlier the engine will crap out due to long OCIs early in life. Probably no big deal at all...

Matt,

My 95 Aussie Ford Fairlane V8 logbook states 10,000k (6,200 mile) OCI.

The car has done 220,000 k's (136,000 miles) and uses no oil. I have had it for a couple of years now, and it gets an oil change every six months as I don't clock up many miles. 15W-40 in winter and 20W-60 in summer.(Castrol dino mainly)

Dave

[ January 15, 2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

Well, guess what guys...free maintenance here to on cars like M-B, Audi, BMW. Also 15,000km intervals. But guess with what? 5W-30 for BMW. Looks like 0-30 for Audi. And when I called the local M-B dealer, the Service Manager told me they use M-1 5-30 (A1). So, guess what happens after 100,000km? Really doesn't matter because the warranty's over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back