Folding Hard Tonnau Cover Dull

Hi All, I have a 14 Silverado with a Extang folding hard cover. It is a grainie-pebbel type finish. This
truck is outside 24-7. Started getting real dull last summer and has gotten somewhat duller.
I have tried different black coatings but none see to last lonag at all,few days maybe.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

You can try Solution Finish. Unlike most products it is an actual dye.

Is there any way you can get this cover warrantied?

Thanks Critic, no I called about it last summer and they where no help at all.
I really like this cover,holds up well to a lot of weight on it. Have had over
two feet of snow on it a few times and no problems at all. It also folds and
unfolds very well.

If youve tried coatings before try taking it to spray on bedliner place. I beleive they also put UV protection in the hot plastic they spray apply. I had my bed done new in 17 and it is not really faded yet in phoenix sun.

Thanks Critic, no I called about it last summer and they where no help at all.
I really like this cover,holds up well to a lot of weight on it. Have had over
two feet of snow on it a few times and no problems at all. It also folds and
unfolds very well.

Im surprised about that. I have an Extang Blackmax soft tonneau on my 98 pickup, which I bought and installed in about 2000...

About three years ago when the soft top started to look like it wasnt that great, I called and they were really helpful and fast with getting a replacement part.

Might want to call back again and see if you can get someone else...

This is a common issue on older covers. I haven't heard of a solution for this. Im not sure if the coating mentioned above-would make it look worse than it is already. JMHO.

I would agree with a post above-try a "Rhino Type" coating place and see what they have to say. At least IF they can do it-it will look good.

Thanks to all that replied. Nice to hear different directions to go. Really appreciate it. I never thought of the
products mentioned. I will look into all of tips to resolve the dullness.
Gotta love this forum!

How can he put it on (cerakote) with a uniform thickness? That's the issue.

This plus C.Quartz DLUX on top of the SF after 24 hrs. of cure time. Will also work on other black plastic trim. This is what a detailer I know did to his own 08 Dodge 2500. After 3 years of sitting outside in the sun belt it still looks new.

How can he put it on (cerakote) with a uniform thickness? That's the issue.
Most of those products deposit an extremely thin layer. You can buff off the excess to "level" it within a few minutes. It won't be a perfectly uniform coat, but uniform enough to look acceptable.

Back