Focus vs G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a lot of talk of a used car purchase, I finally convinced my buddy to buy new. The numbers look good, $18k msrp, minus $2-$3k in discounts and $4500 clunker cash, we are topping at $11k.

Assuming the same price, what is the thinking on Focus vs G5? He saw the G5 at a dealer and liked it better than the Focus, but I like the Focus and did not see the G5 yet.

Any general thoughts?

Ex bought an 08 Focus.. I hated it. Small inside, terrible exterior (subjective) and uncomfortable seats. I also did not like many other small nitpicky things about it, but those are all different from car to car. The powertrain itself seemed decent though. I like the looks of the GM's much more, and the Ecotec engines are decent. I'd personally go with a 'Balt or G5 if I had to pick a small domestic new car.

Incentive is $3500 on the G5 and $2000 on the Focus, but I got a dealer who will give another $1100 dealer discount off the Focus. I'd probally take the Focus. I'll report back, probally doing the deal in a day or two.

I personally prefer the G5. I think it looks better than it's Chevy twin. The interior was fairly impressive, too. Looked great in all black
thumbsup2.gif

The current Focus looks better then previous generations. The G5 is typical Pontiac spaceship styling.
37.gif

The Ecotec is a winner though, but so are the powertrains in the Focus which are similar to the Mazda 3 I believe?

If it came down to looks, the G5 wins hands-down IMO. There's a new Focus 4 doors down from my house, and I think it looks like a giant electric shaver. I guess I'm alone in the opinion that the previous Focus, although long in the teeth, looks better.

The G5 is the Cobalt's better looking brother, and has always taken a back seat in sales, so you should be able to score a killer deal on one.

I hope that's not really a concern. I can assure you that any conceivable part one might need for a G5 is sitting in a GM warehouse right now, and can be ordered by any GM dealership well into the future.

I'd go with the G5. More room to 'dicker' with a GM dealer, and the Ecotec powertrain is superior to what Ford offers.

I believe the G5/Cobalt have more interior room - I rented a Cobalt once, and it was very roomy inside. the Focus 'looks' more 'snug', but I could be very wrong.

G5/Cobalt also has a longer warranty - 100k miles. They also have oil life monitors, to optimize oil changes. Ford is 7500 miles, no give or take to that.

I would say they are both good cars for what they do. I think in this case it would all come down to simple personal preference.

My 07 Focus has been a fine small car. Very roomy, plenty of head and leg room. I'm 6-3 and have ample room. Mileage is very good with plenty of power.

Originally Posted By: jigen
I would say they are both good cars for what they do. I think in this case it would all come down to simple personal preference.

+1

I like both...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd go with the G5. More room to 'dicker' with a GM dealer, and the Ecotec powertrain is superior to what Ford offers.

I believe the G5/Cobalt have more interior room - I rented a Cobalt once, and it was very roomy inside. the Focus 'looks' more 'snug', but I could be very wrong.

G5/Cobalt also has a longer warranty - 100k miles. They also have oil life monitors, to optimize oil changes. Ford is 7500 miles, no give or take to that.

Government warranty! With $50 billion from your pocketbook backing it!

Focus has better handling, G5 more power.

He is getting the G5. Has a deposit, but there is an issue with the clunker money now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back