focus using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil 600 miles ago to Mobil 1 ep 5w20 and in 600 miles it's dropped half a quart. I thought maybe the timing cover was leaking again since it was recently replaced but nope. Nothing is leaking anywhere.i know it's said on here switching brands sometimes the engine will use the new oil for a little while. But half a quart in 600 miles seems excessive. When I ran vwb it didn't drop at all in 4000 miles. So what gives?

Why it's obviously not the car it's the oil on some oil it doesn't drop the level at all and Mobil it drinks like crazy

When I first used the SM Pennzoil Ultra a long time ago with the Fit the oil level dropped to same proportion as your sump size drop you experienced.

It is just the new oil, if you give it a chance it will level off so to speak.

Originally Posted By: Falken
When I first used the SM Pennzoil Ultra a long time ago with the Fit the oil level dropped to same proportion as your sump size drop you experienced.

It is just the new oil, if you give it a chance it will level off so to speak.

That's what I've heard my only question is what's the reason for this? Why does it level off?

Your engine simply burned the oil. I have heard many stories when engines began using oil when they switched to synthetic after long time use of convential oil. The M1 probably did a very good job cleaning up your engine.Maybe too good...

I think the rings seat based on one oil's chemistry, add pack, and base lube characteristics.

Then when you switch things up the rings seem to let a bit past for a short time.

I tried SN Ultra a little while back, and I started getting fuel dilution from it, the level went up half a quart.

My guess is more fuel slid past the rings on cold starts.

I got nervous and I dumped it early.

Just don't worry about it, it does make for a great case of sticking to one lube though.

I have always had trouble with Pennzoil Ultra and rings either letting fuel past or oil up into the combustion chamber.

Doesn't happen with any other oil, not even Pennzoil Platinum or QSUD.

A real head scratcher, that I have given up myself trying to figure out.

As my Fit is getting older I don't worry as much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I changed the oil 600 miles ago to Mobil 1 ep 5w20 and in 600 miles it's dropped half a quart. I thought maybe the timing cover was leaking again since it was recently replaced but nope. Nothing is leaking anywhere.i know it's said on here switching brands sometimes the engine will use the new oil for a little while. But half a quart in 600 miles seems excessive. When I ran vwb it didn't drop at all in 4000 miles. So what gives?

My bought new 2002 F-150 4.6 had ONLY Motorcraft 5W-20 for the first 60,000 miles. And it never used any measurable amount of oil in it's 5,000-7,500 mile OCI's. I put in Havoline full synthetic 5W-20 this last oil change and after 2,500 miles it's down about 3/4 of a quart. I'll fill it up and track it. This has happened before when I first used Mobil 1 in my car with the Zetec 2.0L engine. After the initial drop in oil level it did not drop anymore after I brought the level back to full. This does not seem to be unusual when first changing oil brands.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Your engine simply burned the oil. I have heard many stories when engines began using oil when they switched to synthetic after long time use of convential oil. The M1 probably did a very good job cleaning up your engine.Maybe too good...

The engine has 9300 miles on it. It's still like new I doubt it cleaned much if anything.

Run a full OCI on it and see if it consistently uses oil at that rate or if it is just an anomaly.

Also, is your driving type the same as with your previous oil changes? Sometimes a long freeway drive after mixed or stop and go driving can burn off some oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Let's see -- you're using watery thin oil and you're wondering why you have consumption?

36.gif

Its not really broken in yet. I might drive a tank of gas through running it harder say some good wot acceleration runs.

Wow. ......running what the manufacturer recommends is just crazy!!!

No, that's not what's crazy.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Wow. ......running what the manufacturer recommends is just crazy!!!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Let's see -- you're using watery thin oil and you're wondering why you have consumption?

36.gif

This nonsense never fails..

OP, what did you use prior? I change back and forth between oil types frequently and usually get about 1/2 -1 1 quart usage when switching. Since you are only 600 miles in, I wonder if your filter just soaked up a bit more of the oil making it appear as if more usage occured.. Dont jump to any conclusions on this, keep running it out a full OCI, I would be surprised if it used over 1 quart by that time. If it does maybe other factors at play here.. but I doubt it.

Maybe if you ran 10w50 you wouldnt have this problem (LOL LOL/sarcasm)

I use 0W-20 AFE in mine and it doesn't use a noticeable amount (still full after 8K miles).

I'd keep driving and see what happens. 600 miles will come soon enough and you'll know if you're a quart low.

Since you work at the dealer, I'd start documenting.

But I have my doubts it's real.

Why wouldn't you have run M1 EP 0w-20?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd keep driving and see what happens. 600 miles will come soon enough and you'll know if you're a quart low.

Since you work at the dealer, I'd start documenting.

But I have my doubts it's real.

Why wouldn't you have run M1 EP 0w-20?

Use even thinner??!!.. if 5w20 is water.. 0w20 is... ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back