focus using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the QSUD 5w-20 in my 2002 Focus, it reads 1/2 a quart low. If it sits for a week it reads almost full. I get a similar effect with Defy and Maxlife, but not as extreme. That did not happen with other oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd keep driving and see what happens. 600 miles will come soon enough and you'll know if you're a quart low.

Since you work at the dealer, I'd start documenting.

But I have my doubts it's real.

Why wouldn't you have run M1 EP 0w-20?

Use even thinner??!!.. if 5w20 is water.. 0w20 is... ROFL

0W/20 is only thinner than 5W/20 at temperatures -30F and lower. At all other temps, they are in the same range, by definition.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Your engine simply burned the oil. I have heard many stories when engines began using oil when they switched to synthetic after long time use of convential oil. The M1 probably did a very good job cleaning up your engine.Maybe too good...

The engine has 9300 miles on it. It's still like new I doubt it cleaned much if anything.

Sounded like a boilerplate answer to me too. There is no cleaning to do in this new engine. Some people just regurgitate the mantra.

I would top off at this time with the M1EP and keep an eye on it. The engine may genuinely not do well on M1EP. But it may take a couple of changes to decide.

Who knows?
See how it goes with the M1 over the course of you normal OCI.
Don't add oil until it's a quart down, which might not happen over the remainder of this OCI.
I've seen a number of folks here claim much higher consumption when changing brands of oil or changing to synthetics, but I've never seen it personally.
Our '01 Focus, which of course has an entirely different engine from your car, had probably never seen synthetic oil before I ran some Synpower in it last year and might have never seen "water-thin" 5W-20 until I put Meijer synthetic 5W-20 in it in December.
No noticeable consumption with either synthetic oil, same as with the Maxlife 5W-30 I ran in it for its first change by me and its first winter.
I'd also be willing to bet that our '02 Accord had never seen synthetic before I bought it and it's doing just fine on G-Oil.
My advice would be to relax and see what happens from here.
You will sometimes see an oil consumption spike with any engine for no reason I can think of although I'm sure there is one.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Switch to a 30 weight blend and your consumption will stop.

Doubt it.
It'll probably stop anyway.

Originally Posted By: Falken
When I first used the SM Pennzoil Ultra a long time ago with the Fit the oil level dropped to same proportion as your sump size drop you experienced.

It is just the new oil, if you give it a chance it will level off so to speak.

That's what I've heard my only question is what's the reason for this? Why does it level off?

Good question. I find it difficult to believe the usage will drop back down after your second OC, as some here will tell you. If it does, I sure would like to know the mechanism responsible.

I had a similar thing happen when I first switched to M1. The consumption went away relatively quickly and never returned. I continued to use M1 for about another year and a half without any more consumption.

As weird as it sounds, I don't think you have anything to worry about just yet. Keep it topped up, and keep an eye on it, it should go away on its own.

If it doesn't go away after an OCI or two, contact that dealer and have them start monitoring it, because that's not the norm for when switching to M1. Normally it goes away on its own fairly quickly.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Don't add oil until it's a quart down, which might not happen over the remainder of this OCI.

That little 2.0L Ford just holds 4.6 quarts.

I'd top off now.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I'd top off now.

I suspect that Ford was aware of the oil capacity as well as the minimum safe oil level when they marked the dipstick.
The add line will be at a level where the engine is down a quart.
The minimum safe oil level is certainly less than two quarts.
Most OMs that I've seen recommend only that the oil level be maintained between the add and full lines.
I've never seen one that recommended that the oil be maintained at the full line at all times.
The OM for my old BMW specifically states that oil should not be added before the oil level reaches the add line on the dipstick, which would be one liter out of a capacity of 4.5 liters, or 4.7 quarts.
I sometimes wonder whether some of us don't unintentionally contribute to oil consumption with obsessive top-offs.

Could be that you are reading the dipstick wrong.

when do you check your oil levels?

I know because I thought my car war burning oil but it was really false positive.

Last edited:
I changed the oil 600 miles ago to Mobil 1 ep 5w20 and in 600 miles it's dropped half a quart. I thought maybe the timing cover was leaking again since it was recently replaced but nope. Nothing is leaking anywhere.i know it's said on here switching brands sometimes the engine will use the new oil for a little while. But half a quart in 600 miles seems excessive. When I ran vwb it didn't drop at all in 4000 miles. So what gives?

My 2014 Ford Focus used oil for the first 17,000 miles, and early on it was about as bad as yours sounds. It stopped using oil when I stopped using MC 5w-20 semi-synthetic and went to 5w-30 whatever brand. Not a drop went missing from there to 36k when I traded it.

Had the same issue with 2011 Ford Fiesta, only it didn't last as long, car used oil for about 10k, MC 5w-20, swapped it to Supertech 5w-20 and it was worse, finally threw whatever 5w-30 I had laying around at it and oil usage stopped. Nary a clue as to why on either car. No drips or drabs anywhere that I could ever see.

I did top it off the other day. I drive about 200 miles per week. I am driving to Boone nc in a week in a half should I just wing it ? Bring oil with me ? Or dump it for valvoline which didn't drop at all?

Keep it in there and see if it stops. I had a similar issue with AMSOIL AZO 0w-30 in the Expedition and it never stopped drinking it after three OCI's so I switched to back to AFE 0w-30 and the consumption stopped.

When I first started with PU 5w-30 in it it drank a bit too (though nowhere near as much) but that tapered off.

I did top it off the other day. I drive about 200 miles per week. I am driving to Boone nc in a week in a half should I just wing it ? Bring oil with me ? Or dump it for valvoline which didn't drop at all?

Honestly, you should always carry a quart or two of oil with you when you go on a trip.
I've been doing this for decades.

BC.

I have a 2014 Focus 5 speed that used a few ounces* of oil up to about 8K. I just hit 10K and it doesn't seem to be using oil anymore. I think your Focus will probably do the same.
I changed the FF at 1900 miles and again at 6500 miles using PYB 5w20.

* I had to add about 6 ounces to bring it back to the full line twice or 3X before 8K but not since.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I'd top off now.

I suspect that Ford was aware of the oil capacity as well as the minimum safe oil level when they marked the dipstick.
The add line will be at a level where the engine is down a quart.
The minimum safe oil level is certainly less than two quarts.
Most OMs that I've seen recommend only that the oil level be maintained between the add and full lines.
I've never seen one that recommended that the oil be maintained at the full line at all times.
The OM for my old BMW specifically states that oil should not be added before the oil level reaches the add line on the dipstick, which would be one liter out of a capacity of 4.5 liters, or 4.7 quarts.
I sometimes wonder whether some of us don't unintentionally contribute to oil consumption with obsessive top-offs.

I'm sure there is no correlation between top offs and consumption.

And I am certain Ford feels a quart down is safe, but I personally would rather run with 100% of the recommended oil in my pan than 78% of the oil specified.

Over a protracted period, the extra oil would disperse more contaminants and put less stress on the oil over the OCI.

Comparing UOA's would probably show more of the additive pack consumed and lower TBN with the short fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back