Foaming Oil got me worried/bamboozled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have '96 Saab 900S (4cyl. non turbo) recently I got some Agip 10W-40 "Sybthetic Blend" $5 canadian/1L but the oil seems to have some foaming issues everytime I check the oil level when the engine is just warm 2-3km trip I see bubbles on the dipstick about the size of poppy seeds. I this normal? Because after harder driving and a much longer trip something like 30km(~20 miles) the oil does not seem to have bubbles in it. Should I dump the oil? o

The first thing I would check is the oil level, make sure you're not overfilled; the foaming oil would be an indication of an overfilled crankcase.

This may seem like an odd question but humor it none the less. Do you shake your oil for a few seconds before you spin the cap off and pour in into your crankcase? The reason I ask I had an issue which could be unrelated but might not be.
The engines on an aircraft were having foam issues and it was traced to the anti-foam ingredients were settled out. The oil can or bottle sets in storage somewhere for a long time and things settle out so a few seconds of shakin' may save you some trouble. Hope this helps
cheers.gif

Hmmm... come to think of it the bottles had been sitting im my basement for one year and no I hadn't given them a shake before they went in the crank case. Thanks I guess I should change out the oil as soon as I can .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back