Foam Cannons

I want to get one but wonder if it is a gimmick. You know, one of those tools that looks neat but after you use it a couple times you conclude it ain’t worth the setup effort. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not getting one because my car couldn't be any cleaner than it is when I'm done. I only take care of three vehicles and the time saved wouldn't be lot. However, if I was running a detailing business, I would probably get one. I don't think they're a gimmick at all. I just don't need one.

I bought one and would put in the gimmick column if you don’t typically use your pressure washer on your car.

I used it when I washed my house and deck and it worked very well for that purpose. I would recommend one for house or deck washing.......

I got a $15 one from Amazon that works great. I wasn't going to spend $99 for one from Griots Garage.

3 Advantages:
- it does speed up the process
- less car wash soap is needed
- less likely to introduce dirt from a car wash bucket

2 negatives:
- easy to over spray soap onto nearby cars in driveway
- pressure washer setup and put away is required

I bought one off Amazon. It's the type that doesn't need a power washer. It does work to put a nice amount of soap on the vehicles. I also use the two bucket method.

What I need are two hoses one for rinsing and the other to use the foam cannon. That would speed up wash time for me.

I got a $15 one from Amazon that works great. I wasn't going to spend $99 for one from Griots Garage.

3 Advantages:
- it does speed up the process
- less car wash soap is needed
- less likely to introduce dirt from a car wash bucket

2 negatives:
- easy to over spray soap onto nearby cars in driveway
- pressure washer setup and put away is required
I have the same one, works great. ;)

Both. I had a detailing business and worked great for big trucks, vans etc. Washing my own car in the driveway, it’s not worth the effort to drag everything out. Maybe in a muddy or big storm area.

I am not sure what you mean by “gimmick”? It sprays a dirty car with soap. Yes it works. Does it require more energy? Yes. But if you are into car detailing, then it probably will be something you like. If you like the old ‘1-bucket system with dawn dish detergent’ then I’d say it might not be up your alley.

Reactions: JC1
I am not sure what you mean by “gimmick”? It sprays a dirty car with soap. Yes it works. Does it require more energy? Yes. But if you are into car detailing, then it probably will be something you like. If you like the old ‘1-bucket system with dawn dish detergent’ then I’d say it might not be up your alley.

I would say I am into it...have my DA polisher, clay bar and full array of Meguiars products. My 21 yo Avalon looked almost brand new when I sold it. My problem is declining physical abilities so looking for anything to make the job easier. By gimmick I mean something that requires more work than it saves. Dipping a mitt in a bucket is not that hard.

I would say I am into it...have my DA polisher, clay bar and full array of Meguiars products. My 21 yo Avalon looked almost brand new when I sold it. My problem is declining physical abilities so looking for anything to make the job easier. By gimmick I mean something that requires more work than it saves. Dipping a mitt in a bucket is not that hard.
It does require more worse simply because you have to use it with a pressure washer. You can try the ones that attach to the hose pipe but those don't produce the foam that most people are looking for. I typically use my foam cannon when I am wanting to do a deep clean on the car. But, if you are looking for quick and easy, then you cannot beat the two bucket system.

It does require more worse simply because you have to use it with a pressure washer. You can try the ones that attach to the hose pipe but those don't produce the foam that most people are looking for. I typically use my foam cannon when I am wanting to do a deep clean on the car. But, if you are looking for quick and easy, then you cannot beat the two bucket system.

The ones without a pressure washer can produce a lot of foam check the video out. Obviously you'll use a lot more soap in the process.

I say buy a cheap one and try it. I did, and threw it out, didn't like it and felt it was wasting time/water/supplies. But I do live in the desert, so I don't get time to let things soak, dries too fast. So for me, it is best just to wash normally. Some areas might have better luck.

Basically, I do feel they are a bit of a gimmick and a way to sell more soaps. But I know lots of people like them and see value there. So, if you buy a cheap one and love it, upgrade later. If you don't like it, then you are only out $20.

Back