flywheel key

Status
Not open for further replies.
my briggs quantum is 12 years old with a occassional miss.i was wondering about the flywheel key maybe being partially sheared.this mower has NEVER hit any kind of hard object while running.can the key deteriorate with time?is this key a normal maintenance item? if i inspect the key how would you tell if it is faulty? thanks all.

It is not possible to inspect the flywheel key without removing the flywheel from the crankshaft and sometimes it is very difficult to remove the flywheel. On many engines the keyways can be seen after removing the flywheel nut or bolt. To get a good indication of the condition of the flywheel key, position the piston at top dead center and note the position of the flywheel magnet in relation to the ignition module.

When a key is sheared the ignition timing is usually retarded.

A good key timing looks like this:
_good_key.jpg

Last edited:
I always keep a couple on hand. If it is totally sheared, you will be able to see it once the nut is removed. Why not just pop the flywheel loose, they often get distorted over time. You do not have to hit something for this to happen over time. I have had several partially shear and the engine had a miss.

You have been given good info on the key by the previous replies. If the key is compromised the problem would be constant and not an occasional miss. What is putting it back in time after it has moved out of proper timing? Most likely it is Non-Mechanical: I would look for corrosion on connections and magnet/magneto surfaces. Given the age, over a 50% chance the issue is related to a bad plug wire - insulation degrading. A cracked spark plug will give the occasional miss. Given the age it could be carbon build up creating hot spot(s) or a number of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back