Flying with motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you transport motor oil on a passenger plane? I saw some great deals on oil while down in Warner Robins but wasn't sure if I would be able to transport it home.

I checked the TSA and FAA sites and could not find anything saying that motor oil is prohibited...lots of other stuff was but not oil.

My gut feeling is no but thought I'd ask to be sure

Goose
patriot.gif

I didn't find motor oil specifically listed with the FAA, but what I can tell you is that (obviously) motor oil is considered by the FAA as a hazardous material, and...

The aggregate quantity of
hazardous materials carried by the
person may not exceed 2 kg (70
ounces) by mass or 2 L (68 fluid
ounces) by volume and the capacity of
each container may not exceed 0.5 kg
(18 ounces) by mass or 470 mL (16
fluid ounces) by volume.

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
UPS wont ship motor oil. Gotta go Fedex

Sorry wrong I ship 100's of gallons of all types oil in 5 gallon pails UPS daily no problem as long as NOT classed as a hazard product.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
UPS wont ship motor oil. Gotta go Fedex

Sorry wrong I ship 100's of gallons of all types oil in 5 gallon pails UPS daily no problem as long as NOT classed as a hazard product.
bruce

Forgot to say it is ALL shipped UPS Ground NOT air.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by racer12306:
why is new motor oil considered a hazardous product?

has ZDDP which is a hazard also so is Used oil has metals and other stuff and is a carcinogen.
bruce

I just called numerous UPS Stores, and they all said they can't ship motor oil. So i called UPS and asked them. They agreed with what you say, that it is not a hazardous material and UPS Stores should be able to ship it no problem. So my apologies, I guess maybe the UPS stores in CT and Western MA have their own way of doing things.

Sorry for throwing your topic off track Goose.

we have an industrial account and have truck pickup daily the "stores" perhaps do not want to hassle with any "liqiud" that can leak and make a mess?
bruce

Goose,
Pick up some empty oil boxes in Georgia, box up your closeout oil that you bought. Head to the airport. When TSA asks you whats in the boxes. Take out your Military I.D. card and tell them its for the C-130's at your base.
patriot.gif

UPS does ship motor oil & trans fluid, I used to order Redline from Jegs & Summit Racing....and UPS delivered it to my house.

Since the FAA site doesn't specifically prohibit motor oil, I would just get a good sturdy cardboard box, tape it up thoroughly, and check it like luggage.

However, I haven't had occassion to fly since 2000, so I don't know how current airport security would look on such a package, especially if you're flying out of Atlanta Hartsfield.
dunno.gif

I know someone who flies around with an Italian cello made in 1682. She rightly refuses to check it, and cannot take it as carry on, so she buys it a ticket and puts it in the seat next to her. MAN, does that anger standbys.

I grew up just a little north of the Warner Robins AFB. Good people there.

The overhead storage compartments should be made to accommodate a case of oil. I think I'll make a call to the Boeing Engineers today and have them incorperate that into their next jet.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back